Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would you sell family jewelry if you needed the $?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 3:57 pm
I was given by two different family members two different peices of jewelry that I will never wear.
We are in a bit f financial straits right now and I was thinking of selling them.
Would you do such a thing? Or because these peices of jewelry were given to me by family members I shouldnt even think of selling them. Im torn and would love to hear other's opinions.

devash1

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 4:22 pm
I was given jewelery as a gift. They were hammy downs that she didn't like, and at the time I liked them a lot. We needed a bit of cash, so I sold them. I definitely don't regret that I did it and luckily the relative has never asked about them. I would do it again if I had more jewelery to sell.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 4:24 pm
devash1 wrote:
I was given jewelery as a gift. They were hammy downs that she didn't like, and at the time I liked them a lot. We needed a bit of cash, so I sold them. I definitely don't regret that I did it and luckily the relative has never asked about them. I would do it again if I had more jewelery to sell.
But this was not a hand me down. This was specifically given to me by relatives (one is not alive already many years and the other is getting very on in age) but they are beautiful family peices.
Would you still sell them then?

Ruchel

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 4:30 pm
"Old" family, as in pre-war type? NO.
Given by my cousin 10 years ago? Yes.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 4:36 pm
Ruchel wrote:
"Old" family, as in pre-war type? NO.
Given by my cousin 10 years ago? Yes.
Something in between. One peice was given to me by a great aunt who died about 20 years ago and another was given to me by a grandparent who definitely does not have that many more years on this earth (nearing 100)

ora_43

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
Something in between. One peice was given to me by a great aunt who died about 20 years ago and another was given to me by a grandparent who definitely does not have that many more years on this earth (nearing 100)

But is it "family jewelry," as in, it was owned by someone in the family and then passed down to you? Or do you just mean that it was given to you by family (as a new piece of jewelry, purchased for you)?

Is the thing from your great-aunt something that reminds you of her, or is it just a thing that happens to have been given by her?

For me, it all depends. If I needed the money badly enough I'd sell anything. If it wasn't urgent, I wouldn't sell family heirlooms, anything of sentimental value, or anything it would upset the giver to find out I'd sold.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 5:01 pm
ora_43 wrote:
But is it "family jewelry," as in, it was owned by someone in the family and then passed down to you? Or do you just mean that it was given to you by family (as a new piece of jewelry, purchased for you)?

Is the thing from your great-aunt something that reminds you of her, or is it just a thing that happens to have been given by her?

For me, it all depends. If I needed the money badly enough I'd sell anything. If it wasn't urgent, I wouldn't sell family heirlooms, anything of sentimental value, or anything it would upset the giver to find out I'd sold.
Ora, good questions Smile
I just meant it was a gift given to me by a family member. It is mine now. I just have this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that beacuse it was gien to me by a family member I should not sell it, you know what I mean?
As for what my great aunt gave me? No, not something that reminds me of her. I did not even know her all that well.

Another mom

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 7:05 pm
No. I would not - First of all, very insulting. I'd just feel bad. Anyway, gold just goes up with time so maybe in about 20 years u or someone else can sell it without feeling bad. Then you'll be glad u waited!
Of couse if you must have this money very badly it's different... I'd try other options first. (I remember who gave me what and when..)
good luck - may this year bring you parnosah!!

Bruria

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 7:25 pm
I think it really depends on what the money is for. If it's a life-death situation, of course. But if you can get a loan and not sell it, that might be preferable.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 7:32 pm
Another mom wrote:
No. I would not - First of all, very insulting. I'd just feel bad. Anyway, gold just goes up with time so maybe in about 20 years u or someone else can sell it without feeling bad. Then you'll be glad u waited!
Of couse if you must have this money very badly it's different... I'd try other options first. (I remember who gave me what and when..)
I am the OP.
Question - why would it be insulting if that family member would never know? and who said it was gold? It is not. It is another kind of jewelry.
You said maybe in 20 years etc...the gift is already 20 years old.
And you wrote you know who gave you what when. I know too. What does that have to do with anything?

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 7:33 pm
Bruria wrote:
I think it really depends on what the money is for. If it's a life-death situation, of course. But if you can get a loan and not sell it, that might be preferable.
It would be for a very dire financial situation, thats all. Life or death? Maybe. Is putting food on the table dire? Is not being able to pay rent dire? I would think so. But maybe I am wrong.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 7:40 pm
Can you sell it to a different family member if you are desperate? I got some pieces from my mom which she inherited from an aunt and her grandmother. She hated them because they were old fashioned. I treasure them! One I can't wear because it has an image of a woman which is not done in my circles. I wouldn't sell them because they are a piece of family history to pass on which your daughter might treasure. We were pretty broke at one time and my husband sold his father's gold watch which I regret.

Another mom

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:51 pm
Another mom wrote:

I am the OP.
Question - why would it be insulting if that family member would never know? and who said it was gold? It is not. It is another kind of jewelry.
You said maybe in 20 years etc...the gift is already 20 years old.
And you wrote you know who gave you what when. I know too. What does that have to do with anything?

Ok, if they won't know it won't be insulting - but I'd still feel bad..
And if it's not gold I'm not sure if it's worth it . (Silver goes up too, may be worth saving).
Sell it if you want - just wanted to give you my opinion[

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
Can you sell it to a different family member if you are desperate? I got some pieces from my mom which she inherited from an aunt and her grandmother. She hated them because they were old fashioned. I treasure them! One I can't wear because it has an image of a woman which is not done in my circles. I wouldn't sell them because they are a piece of family history to pass on which your daughter might treasure. We were pretty broke at one time and my husband sold his father's gold watch which I regret.

I agree. Also selling 1 thing won't solve all financial problems, you might want to get a loan, an extra job..

vintagebknyc

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:59 pm
amother wrote:
I was given by two different family members two different peices of jewelry that I will never wear.
We are in a bit f financial straits right now and I was thinking of selling them.
Would you do such a thing? Or because these peices of jewelry were given to me by family members I shouldnt even think of selling them. Im torn and would love to hear other's opinions.

unless they are antique, heirloom pieces, I'd sell them if I needed money. whether or not it will increase in value as they age is of no matter if I were in dire straights.

at the end of the day it's just stuff, and the person who gave it to you doesn't need to know.

Last edited by vintagebknyc on Sat, Oct 18 2014, 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 9:02 pm
I've done it.

Unfortunately, I found out that old diamond rings are not valued as much as the new ones, because of newer technology the new diamond rings have far more cuts than the old diamonds.

I sold my grandmother's diamond ring and we got the value of a raw, uncut diamond.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 12:04 am
I have sold silver - like candlesticks. But the people who gave them to me are dead and won't be offended so I didn't feel bad about it. If I was particularly close to the person and didn't have other mementos maybe I wouldn't have done it.

ora_43

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 2:38 am
I would sell it.

If possible, I'd try to use some of the money to buy an item I'd enjoy for a long time, or a special experience. That way it's like you get something else to remember that relative by.

If once every year or so I'm dusting the top shelf of a cupboard and see the necklace great-aunt Sofia got me and think "oh hey, there's that necklace," it's not so meaningful. If once a week my kids play with a new playmobile toy and I think "that's the toy I got with the money from the necklace great-aunt Sofia gave me" - it's a bit more meaningful. True, it's not a direct gift, but it's something that gives me joy that came from that person.

Just IMHO, your mileage may vary.

(Just to be clear, I'd use most of the money for rent or food, because that's obviously most important. But if I got, say, $100, I'd try to get something small for $20 or so that would last longer.)

vicki

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 3:45 am
I would sell it and I would use all the money towards my bills. Definitely. When there is a lack of basic needs there is no room for sentimentality. Especially when it seems you are not that sentimental about it, you just don't want to hurt anyone.

chani8

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 3:56 am
I'm not attached to material things, so it would be a no-brainer for me to sell. However, I'd only sell jewelry from a deceased relative.

I hope your financial situation lessens and you don't need to sell anything. It's the new year, may you be blessed this year with plenty of parnossah.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette