Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would you sell family jewelry if you needed the $?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 6:17 am
If the giver is deceased or no longer in a position to be offended, why not? Needless to say if it had sentimental value for others in the family it would be appropriate to sell it to another family member rather than to stranger, but stam an item someone bought for you a long time ago? A gift is a gift, not a lifelong obigation, nor is disposing of a gift disposing of the person or the person's memory. If you need money badly enough to start selling off possessions, it only makes sense to sell items of value that have no deep meaning for you. If Auntie Griselda loved you, surely she would prefer that you have a roof over your head and bread on the table than her charm bracelet in your jewelry box.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 7:31 am
Maybe you can "pawn" it and get it back.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:07 am
I sold the diamond of my engagement ring and replaced it with a cz. Only my dh knows. We used the money to buy a huge bookcase to store our seforim which were kept in boxes until then. To me, dh and sons having seforim conveniantly accessible was more important than wearing a genuine diamond.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette