Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Did I Do The Right Thing? Please, just honest opinions
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:37 pm
Erev Succos, I went to a dry goods store I frequently patronize. Although their prices are not the best, they are on my way home from work, so I'm always stopping in for a pair of tights, a last minute gift, a snood, a pair of PJs for my baby who just tore his, etc.
It's one of those big stores that used to sell only hosiery, then expanded to gifts and upscale costume jewelry, and now sells skirts, tops, pajamas etc.

The owner knows me because I've been a customer ever since he opened up, and I've always thought of him as a nice guy. He knows that I've never abused his return policy, or made him crazy with exchanges in any way.

Here's the story:
Erev Succos, the place was a MOB SCENE. Lines out the door, you would have thought he's giving away the stuff for free. The owner's wife was the cashier, and there were a whole bunch of salesgirls. I got on line with about 400.00 worth of merchandise - skirts, shells, tights, socks - really, staples for the whole season. I was holding a green skirt, and I said to the cashier - your salesgirl went to the back to see if you have this in maroon. If you don't, we'll take the green one. So let me hold on to it. Just then, her salesgirl came back with the maroon skirt, so I told the cashier - I don't want the green one, only the maroon one.

The skirt was for my 8th grader. When we got home, it was so hectic, we left the stuff in the bags till Y"T. Y"T morning, my daughter tells me, look Mommy, she sold us the maroon skirt AND the green one. The skirt was 73.00, which is not exactly penny change! It was a Shabbos skirt for my 8th grader, and as it was, I wasn't thrilled to spend so much. I certainly didn't want two of them!

Chol HaMoed, I went back to the store, and I told the owner the story. He points to a big sign on the wall - no returns of Pre-Succos purchases. I said - but it was your error - it's not like I bought it and I changed my mind - I clearly told your wife - I don't want the green one if the salesgirl finds one in maroon, and when the salesgirl brought the maroon one - I told your wife - I don't want the green one. She made a mistake. Trust me, I'm not trying to pull a fast one here - But I didn't make this purchase.

He said - OK, you can exchange for color - another skirt from the same rack. I said - I don't want a skirt. I don't need a skirt. I'll buy 7 pairs of tights, because that I can always use. I don't want you to have any monetary loss - but I don't need a skirt.

His face got all red and he said, really nasty - I told you my policy. Now I'm leaving it to your conscience. The policy is no returns. People are always taking advantage. Then he stormed away. The salesgirl made the exchange.

I checked the racks - he had 4 more of that same skirt, so it's not like he WOULD have sold this one, had it only been there. I'm a longstanding customer - I've never made a return before. But I feel bad, since he "left it to my conscience" Plus, I know him - he's always a nice guy.

What do you think? Was I wrong? Should I have accepted the loss?

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:42 pm
You were right!

lk1234

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:51 pm
wow-- you are 100% right! I can't even understand why he would get upset at you at all!!! Most stores wish they had customers like you-- it was their mistake. Don't even think twice!!

chanasmom

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:55 pm
You were 100% right. It was their error. Shame on him for making you feel this way. And if you're a frequent and good customer, stupid of him for giving you a hard time. I'd probably never go there again. Or make sure I use my Amex care, so I could dispute a purchase if they give me a hard time.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:57 pm
lk1234 wrote:
wow-- you are 100% right! I can't even understand why he would get upset at you at all!!! Most stores wish they had customers like you-- it was their mistake. Don't even think twice!!

I think the reason I feel bad is that I know him to normally be a nice guy. So it's odd for him to get that upset, unless he really did think I was pulling a fast one.
I'll tell you one thing - he has probably lost a customer. His store is convenient, but I'm going to feel awkward going in there again. And I AM a very good customer - when you have lots of girls, you just spend a lot of time in tights stores!

themom

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 9:11 pm
Let's try to be Dan Lkof Zchos. Maybe despite his sign, a lot of people already came in and tried returning their pre-Succos items. Maybe people buy two sizes to see which fits their kids better, or try to find the same thing online for cheaper. He may have had a number of people trying to return things and just let his frustration out on you. As we all know, people are not always rational when frustrated!

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 9:13 pm
themom wrote:
Let's try to be Dan Lkof Zchos. Maybe despite his sign, a lot of people already came in and tried returning their pre-Succos items. Maybe people buy two sizes to see which fits their kids better, or try to find the same thing online for cheaper. He may have had a number of people trying to return things and just let his frustration out on you. As we all know, people are not always rational when frustrated!

I'm sure you are right. But now I wonder - should I have just "eaten" the loss or not?

Pita

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 9:21 pm
You were right.

quinny

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 9:56 pm
Absolutely right!! Nothing to feel guilty about.

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 10:09 pm
Since you say you have an ongoing relationship with this storekeeper and it's on your way o/from work anyway, I think the best thing would be to wait a week or two for things to calm down and then try to have a conversation with him about this. Like someone else said maybe he's in the middle of dealing with shtick from other people, and you've said he's not usually like this, so why hold onto one bad experience? Coming out of tishrei I'd say give the guy one more chance.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 10:25 pm
I am a manager in such a store. (Due to some details, I know you did not shop in my store.) I deal with return policy all the time, and even when our policy IS strict, especially Erev Yom Tov, this was clearly an oversight on the cashier's part. I would advise you to call on the phone and speak to the wife, who rung you up and see if she remembers you/the story. She may not remember, the bedlam Erev Yom Tov causes us to forget customers as soon as we ring up the next one.

watergirl

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 10:42 pm
I agree that he is in the wrong, but one question for you. I know the store was a mad house and you were in a rush, but how did you not notice that your bill was so high? Too high? $73 extra is hard to miss.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 11:20 pm
I am thinking I know which store you are referring to. I refused to shop there because I had a nasty fight with him once as well. I used to patranize the store all the time until once I bought a sweater and when I came home I realized there was a nice size hole in in the back. It was a black sweater and I tried it over a black shell so I didn't notice it at the time. When I came back to return it he said once it leaves the store he can't take responsiblity. I still had the tags attached. I guess I'm tougher than you bec I said I refused to leave the store until he takes it back. I stood there for 20 minutes like a jerk until he took it back. I will not shop there again.

Nomad

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 11:28 pm
Hmm maybe the fact that his wife made the error brought up some irrational shalom bayis issue? And that's why he was so out of character? But either way, that stinks and you were definitely not out of line for wanting to exchange it.

ValleyMom

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 11:32 pm
The bottom line is lots of people have taken advantage of independent store keepers in the past and he vented ALL his frustration on you.

You did NOTHING wrong.
They made a simple clerical error and I find it very commendable that you willingly exchanged for merchandise when in reality you needed NOTHING.

He's crabby because he has been taken advantage of by others...

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 12:05 am
watergirl wrote:
I agree that he is in the wrong, but one question for you. I know the store was a mad house and you were in a rush, but how did you not notice that your bill was so high? Too high? $73 extra is hard to miss.

not if the place is a mad house and you run out without double checking the receipt

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 12:49 am
watergirl wrote:

The place was hopping, I was 45 minutes behind schedule and I didn't check the receipt. Yes, it was high but I did buy a lot of stuff - I figured I bought more than I thought - and I wasn't going to check the receipt then and there with all the crowds and noise and my daughter being late for her haircut appointment......etc

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 1:34 am
you were right

chani8

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 3:50 am
You were right, you did the right thing. Good for you!

It would be most unfortunate, however, for you to stop going there, when it is a good store for you. I think you should try to just let this go. He has his reasons for being uptight about returns. And while he wasn't pleasant about it, seems to me he threw the ball back in your court to make you check yourself for honesty, and then backed off. He didn't turn it into a fight or an outright insult. And if his wife had been there, she probably would've honored her mistake immediately.

That said, I would've been embarrassed by his reaction, insinuating that I might be lying. I'd need to do a little debriefing therapy on myself, to remind myself that "I'm not bad. I'm good. I didn't do anything wrong."

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 8:52 am
in the store owners defense ---- my friend owns a store and she told me that the worst day to open is the day after yom tov. She said that everyone comes in to make a return and they barely make any sales since people bought what they needed before yom tov began. It could be really hard on the owners nerves to have so many returns and no sales in one day.

In any case, of course you were right. I dont even think it's legal to have a no returns policy (unless it's a final sale item).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics