Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can I support myself (dental hygiene?)

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:33 am
Short story- I'm divorced, depressed and broke. I was a stay at home mom and am living by my parents now with 3 kids, falling deeper and deeper into a depression every day because I have no way to support myself. I have a GED and absolutely hate school so can't imagine going to school for many many years now.

I've been doing a lot of research and think that learning to become a dental hygienist might be a good option for me. I know it doesn't make a ton of money, but hopefully enough to support myself.

My questions are-
1. Is it hard to get a job?
2. Is the salary enough for me to be able to support myself and 3 kids or will I always be struggling?
3. Is it a hard program?

I'm open to any other suggestions regarding going to school for something else. I feel so lost, like there is no end in sight and I'll always be poor. Makes me want to just crawl into a hole and die:( I need hope and options and I'm having a very hard time making a decision.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:45 am
Hug

Have you come up with a realistic budget for living independently? Depending on what that is, you can determine how much you will need to earn to be self sufficient. The numbers vary widely depending on where your live and what your individual circumstances are.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:52 am
OP

I live in Brooklyn and I'm currently not receiving any child support. I would say I need around 80K. If I have to go to school for longer then I guess that's what I'll do. I just need something that's relatively a sure thing and doable for me.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:54 am
I think you should write up a detailed budget first Smile consider every possible expense, as well as savings. It would be a shame to put in all the work and still struggle to cover your basic expenses, if you can go in a different direction and earn more.

stkop

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:59 am
I am a dental hygienist and this is what I can tell you. Starting salary is about 35/hr in brooklyn, most places do not hire full time so you would have to work in a few offices. Jobs are hard to find... but, I do like my job and what I do. Iv'e been doing this about 7 yrars.... any questions you can PM me. Hope this helps.

Peanut2

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:59 am
Do you have a job now?

Are you seeing a therapist? If not, do you know how to go about finding one? Imamother is great, but it sounds like you need someone to speak to one on one in general.

Can you contact Jewish Family Services or a similar organization where you live to see if they offer career counseling. Again, one on one advice is crucial here. They often also have subsidized therapy or can help refer you to other resources.

What do you enjoy doing and what are you good at? What are your strengths?

Money wise create a budget and see how much you need and how much different jobs make.

As a side note, and possibly totally nor appropriate for you - in some areas working as a housekeeper, babysitter, or cleaner OUTSIDE the frum world can be relatively well paying. I interviewed a college student who works for a non-frum Jewish family and charges $20-$30 an hour for pretty basic nannying services, more if household help is required as well. Was too much for me but people pay her. People I know pay between $80-$150 for having their house cleaned once a week, for the job, normal sized house, and only if it's on a weekly basis. More if it's every two weeks, more for the first clean. The cleaner comes when the people are at work and they go FAST. Connecting to Jewish resources outside the frum world could be a way to get into this IMO. Might not be a fit for you, but I often wonder why women on imamother don't consider this. I think many non-frum Jewish women I know would be happy to hire a capable frum woman for household help.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 9:07 pm
Peanut2 wrote:
Do you have a job now?

Are you seeing a therapist? If not, do you know how to go about finding one? Imamother is great, but it sounds like you need someone to speak to one on one in general.

Can you contact Jewish Family Services or a similar organization where you live to see if they offer career counseling. Again, one on one advice is crucial here. They often also have subsidized therapy or can help refer you to other resources.

What do you enjoy doing and what are you good at? What are your strengths?

Money wise create a budget and see how much you need and how much different jobs make.

As a side note, and possibly totally nor appropriate for you - in some areas working as a housekeeper, babysitter, or cleaner OUTSIDE the frum world can be relatively well paying. I interviewed a college student who works for a non-frum Jewish family and charges $20-$30 an hour for pretty basic nannying services, more if household help is required as well. Was too much for me but people pay her. People I know pay between $80-$150 for having their house cleaned once a week, for the job, normal sized house, and only if it's on a weekly basis. More if it's every two weeks, more for the first clean. The cleaner comes when the people are at work and they go FAST. Connecting to Jewish resources outside the frum world could be a way to get into this IMO. Might not be a fit for you, but I often wonder why women on imamother don't consider this. I think many non-frum Jewish women I know would be happy to hire a capable frum woman for household help.
iT'S a very competative schooling. With a GED, you need a lot of prequisites and high grades, to boot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics