Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Craft/heirlooms that are breaking- what to do?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 2:30 pm
Odd question for any crafty-people out there, or for anyone who has family craft-heirlooms:

I have 2 traditional crochet granny square afghans my grandmother made years ago. Im not sure how old they are, but Im guessing 25-30 years minimum. We have been using them for years on the backs of our couches, but now they are beginning to fray. I fix one spot, 3 more appear. It is a losing battle. Im not sure if I should A) keep using them until they fall apart- hopefully my grandmother didn’t expect them to last forever or be treated like museum pieces B) pack them away and don’t use them. We won’t see them, but at least they will still exist or C) give up on the whole, but maintain the memory- take some squares off and recycle them into some sort of other craft project we can keep to remember her, and the blankets by. Sure, the original would no longer exist, but the essence will live on.

What do you think?

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 2:37 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
Odd question for any crafty-people out there, or for anyone who has family craft-heirlooms:

I have 2 traditional crochet granny square afghans my grandmother made years ago. Im not sure how old they are, but Im guessing 25-30 years minimum. We have been using them for years on the backs of our couches, but now they are beginning to fray. I fix one spot, 3 more appear. It is a losing battle. Im not sure if I should A) keep using them until they fall apart- hopefully my grandmother didn’t expect them to last forever or be treated like museum pieces B) pack them away and don’t use them. We won’t see them, but at least they will still exist or C) give up on the whole, but maintain the memory- take some squares off and recycle them into some sort of other craft project we can keep to remember her, and the blankets by. Sure, the original would no longer exist, but the essence will live on.

What do you think?

Take some photos of your family snuggling under the afghans. Now they will last forever.

They're not going to serve any purpose laying in a box. Use them. Enjoy them as long as they last.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics