Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
When to turn on the heat? (nyc)

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:35 am
Anyone in NYC area turn on the heat yet? I'm in Brooklyn and so cold...
My apt has been freezing the past few days, the weather has stayed about 50s/low 60s, and it feels cool outside but not freezing. Its mostly in the morning and night that we are cold in here and my kids are even complaining.
I feel like october is too early to turn on the heat but maybe not? It's sooo hard for them to get dressed in the morning. And the floor! Even with socks you feel the cold!

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:47 am
We turned ours on. So did my parents.

It's not so necessary during the day yet, but nights and mornings have been rather chilly.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:53 am
What are you asking? Are you asking when a building owner is legally required to supply heat to tenants, or asking if it's appropriate for you to rev up your furnace in your own home? If the former, Google the question. If the latter, what does anyone else's opinion matter? What counts is your personal preference and budget. It's your tush that may or may not be freezing, and your utility bill that may or may not be skyrocketing, not anyone else's.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:56 am
Heating season in NYC is October 1 thru May 31. During that time, landlords must provide heat if the outside temperature is below 50 degrees between 7am and 10 pm or below 40 degrees 10 pm to 7 am.

monseychick

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:56 am
I have a little spaceheater in my room the last few nights . Will order oil beg of nov so that it lasts .

The past few years I started now and my oil budget ran out beginning of march

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 6:46 am
Oh, it's so cold here too. Houses are made of concrete and they are freezing! The desert cools off at night and it takes until noon or later to finally lose the chill. But DH doesn't want a high electric bill right now. Yet I've got three babies, and it's embarrassing that they're dressed in winter clothes in the house, when it's 70 outside. How can I channel all that warm air into the house??

Lady Bug

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 7:00 am
Yes, definitely some heat for the nights.

momX4

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 8:35 am
chani8 wrote:
Oh, it's so cold here too. Houses are made of concrete and they are freezing! The desert cools off at night and it takes until noon or later to finally lose the chill. But DH doesn't want a high electric bill right now. Yet I've got three babies, and it's embarrassing that they're dressed in winter clothes in the house, when it's 70 outside. How can I channel all that warm air into the house??

open all your window shades as the sun comes up. it will warm up your house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics