Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Guys and winter
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 1:53 am
Explain please:
DH needs a new winter coat. He bought one and modeled it for me. It was a good brand nad really thick and soft and down-filled and looks super warm. But when he put it on it went just to the waist. So my first thought was that's ridiculous - how in the world is that going to keep you warm through winter? Isn't your bottom half going to freeze?

So now I'm finally getting around to doing a web search and it looks like EVERYTHING designed to be warm for men is just waist length. Not even over the hips! What in the world?

So do men all freeze their legs off all winter, or what DO they wear?

Thermal underwear or warm pants would just make you too hot all day. I can't imagine guys layer on pants and take them off when they get to work like I might do for my preschooler.

Links welcome!

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:26 am
Well, how's this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop.....rrtop

There are a few long coats here:

http://www.travelsmith.com/Pro.....w=men's%20coat

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:37 am
Why are you perplexed? Are you aware that many women go through winter's iciest blasts with their legs sheathed in only a thin covering of nylon knit, aka tights or pantyhose?

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:40 am
Zaq, I don't know about others but for myself I look for long winter coats. They are not at all hard to find. But browsing a large department store website, EVERYTHING with the search term "down" for men was very short. Why bother with down if you don't plan to stay warm?

Dolly thanks for the tips. I did see a couple of longer looking options on Lands End, too, I'm just wondering what people wear because he's trying to be more trendy Rolling Eyes and it seems that the majority of what's sold is short. Is EVERYONE freezing? There are longer coats that are not as warm, do they layer up under those? I'm just clueless.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:00 am
The thinsulate linings are warmer than they look.

A long wool coat is another thing:

http://www.londonfog.com/fremo......html

If you want a long fit, buy their "Long" size.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:02 am
Does it make sense for a woman to wear a fur jacket with a miniskirt? How about black lycra leggings with shorts and shearling boots--in summer? Does it make sense for a winter coat to be designed with a deep vent in front so the chest is exposed to the elements? How sensible is it to design a wool winter coat with no buttons and only a tie belt to hold it closed? like this: http://www.lyst.com/clothing/l.....mel/.

Fashion is about making money, not making sense. Each person must decide whether to place fashion or practicality first.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:22 am
Zaq honey, I like you but you're missing my point. Sure people wear stupid things but in women's fashion there seems to be a choice; case in point, I was browsing Macy's sale coats and there was a mix of long and short and in-between. You want to wear them in the wrong season, whatever, but there are options. In the men's dept there were ONLY short jackets in the warm puffy winter wear. Not one even thigh-length coat. It was bitterly windy yesterday and 42 degrees this morning, there is something so wrong with this.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:35 am
There is no being trendy with men's coats. He shouldn't worry about that aspect. Whatever is bought now will be in today's style.

Yes, there are long johns and some pants are flannel lined.

A men's parka with a hood is warm.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:33 am
landsend sells a warm coat that has a long option. dh wears it when its really freezing out, otherwise he wears a warm parka.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:13 am
Maybe most men are like the men I know. They're never cold. Confused
They do have 3/4 length and long wool coats, though.

You can definitely find longer coats for men. Where are you shopping for them?
http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/me.....opnav

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/w.....coats

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
landsend sells a warm coat that has a long option. dh wears it when its really freezing out, otherwise he wears a warm parka.
link please to the long coat

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:23 am
I don't think a man that wears a long pants with a short, warm jacket is cold.
That would be enough for me.

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:28 am
seeker wrote:
Zaq honey, I like you but you're missing my point. Sure people wear stupid things but in women's fashion there seems to be a choice; case in point, I was browsing Macy's sale coats and there was a mix of long and short and in-between. You want to wear them in the wrong season, whatever, but there are options. In the men's dept there were ONLY short jackets in the warm puffy winter wear. Not one even thigh-length coat. It was bitterly windy yesterday and 42 degrees this morning, there is something so wrong with this.

Try going to a store other than Macy's, because longer jackets for men are generally available.

That said, men's pants, socks and shoes are generally enough to keep their lower halves warm, particularly if their torsos are warm.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:28 am
lol, Lady Godiva -- I was thinking the same thing; my husband refuses to own a winter coat!

I was thinking long might be hard to walk in for men if there is no slit -- we women are used to skirts/dresses, but men take longer strides, and a coat would inhibit that if it went longer than the waist? I don't know....their wool coats have slits, but that isn't done for heavy down coats. Also, their pants are frequently a sturdy warm material vs what we women wear. I can't say I'm covered from head to toe in outerwear in the winter....even with my long parka. Unless they're wearing knee high boots with a long, long coat, there will always be a gap (my husband is fairly short, but he found it to take time to find overboots to meet his rain coat so there would be no gap in wet weather)...

happybeingamom

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:30 am
My DH prefers the jacket because it is much easier for driving (a main reason jackets are very popular). He has a long commute.

On Shabbos he wears a long wool coat (just walking then).

Look for a coat that suits his needs.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:10 pm
Here are some black long johns and other cold weather stuff:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/yu......html

mommyofd1

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:17 pm
there's plenty of them! however they just might not be in your price range!
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/mo....._13_C
who pays 2500 for a coat!

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:20 pm
I dunno. My husband likes his wool coat, which goes past his hips. He wears a sweater underneath and never complained about his lower half being cold. I guess it depends on how much time they spend outdoors, not in the car or train or whatever. He wouldn't wear anything thick and puffy unless it was super cold or for winter sports (which obviously goes with ski pants too).

If your husband was always happy with this much protection I wouldn't make a fuss.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:23 pm
amother wrote:
link please to the long coat

This is what DH wears, its 3/4 length. They do have a tall option. http://www.landsend.com/produc.....42737

They had it in a coat option, but I cant find it. You can call and ask.

alef12

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:39 pm
Lands End has a nice selection of very warm coats. I never wear a coat longer than 3/4 length and am plenty warm. My DH is fine in jackets/parkas as well. We layer in other places when the temperature dips below the 30s (farenheit). Wool socks, DH has thicker (wool) pants for cold days, gloves, hats, I love Lands End silk knit long johns (they keep you warm without overheating and look similar to a pair of black tights unless you look really closely), longer skirts keep in the warmth (but not tripping length), boots of course. Layers keep you much warmer anyways. I rarely wear all of the above unless the temperature outside is in the single digits or lower.
Wind chills below zero definitely call for all of the above. We have outside animals so have to spend time working outside no matter the temperature and a long coat would really get in the way when working in a chicken coop or shoveling snow.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics