Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Only boys on the bima for kol hanearim?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:38 am
I read somewhere else that someone wrote that her boys were up on the bima for kol hanerim, but not the girls.
Is that really done in some shuls? Ive never heard of such an unfair thing in my life.

champion

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:40 am
you really want to get into this?
we will punch each other in the noses and under the belt. some will scream and yell that its unfair. some with throw and tantrum that this is just the way it should be. there will be blood everywhere. bruises and cuts and then finally when we realize that none of us are planning to change and that we are just yelling ourselves hoarse, we will go back to our lives shaking our heads in dismay and saying
those ___________ (fill in the community that is not yours)....
and the rift will just grow.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:50 am
in our shul they let girls but in more rw shuls I would think its only boys.

But only boys open the aron hakodesh and sing anim zemiros.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:59 am
Of course both boys and girls are allowed in our shul.
It's *KOL* HaNe'arim, after all.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:34 am
Kol hane'aRIM, not ne'arot. Certainly only boys in our shul. Kol hane'arim is an aliya and in mainstream Orthodox shuls, girls do not get aliyos. Do girls get aliyos in your shul?

But the candies and chocolates were thrown in both directions - towards the bima and over the mechitza.

vicki

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:39 am
In the shuls that I've been to it's all boys but girls only as old as might wander into the men's section during regular davening. Certainly below bat mitzvah age but usually quite a bit younger than that. Maybe 6 or 7.

etky

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:48 am
amother wrote:
Kol hane'aRIM, not ne'arot. Certainly only boys in our shul. Kol hane'arim is an aliya and in mainstream Orthodox shuls, girls do not get aliyos. Do girls get aliyos in your shul?

But the candies and chocolates were thrown in both directions - towards the bima and over the mechitza.

Do boys under bar-mitzva age get aliyot in your shul?
A man is called up and he is the one who says the brachot of the aliya. The kids recite it with him but technically he is the one getting the aliya. Why shouldn't girls under the age of bat-mitzva stand on the bema under the tallit with the boys?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:58 am
champion wrote:
you really want to get into this?
we will punch each other in the noses and under the belt. some will scream and yell that its unfair. some with throw and tantrum that this is just the way it should be. there will be blood everywhere. bruises and cuts and then finally when we realize that none of us are planning to change and that we are just yelling ourselves hoarse, we will go back to our lives shaking our heads in dismay and saying
those ___________ (fill in the community that is not yours)....
and the rift will just grow.
that was not my intention. maybe I should have this thread under respectfully learning about other views. I had NEVER heard of this before so I was wondering just how popular this was. and I see it is pretty mainstream other than in MO communities.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:59 am
Raisin wrote:
in our shul they let girls but in more rw shuls I would think its only boys.

But only boys open the aron hakodesh and sing anim zemiros.
but opening the aron and singing anim zemirot are during tefila. this is not the same.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 5:05 am
amother wrote:

your argument for nearim and not nearot holds no water. in hebrew when one addresses both make and female together the word is in male form. always.

never had candies thrown in any shul I went to.

I experienced the most beautiful kol ganearim this year. the rav of the shul told my parents that this was his favorite shiur. he got all of the young children to sit close to the aron kodesh. he spoke to them about shmita and other things. both boys and girls. then the fathers went to the bima and covered all the children for the aliyah and afterward everyone sang hamaalach hagoel. it was ALL so beautiful. my daughter could not stop talking about the ravs shiur.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 5:07 am
etky wrote:
Do boys under bar-mitzva age get aliyot in your shul?

They get gelila. And on Simchas Torah they get aliyos. Girls don't.

champion

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 5:20 am
Del

Last edited by champion on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:32 am
In my shul, some people bring baby girls up to the bimah and I think it's .... The concept is that all boys get Aliyahs not girls. Why do girls belong there?

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:56 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
In my shul, some people bring baby girls up to the bimah and I think it's .... The concept is that all boys get Aliyahs not girls. Why do girls belong there?

Why is a baby boy getting an aliyah not equally ....?

Besides, the children don't "get an aliyah"; an adult is the one who actually gets the aliyah.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:57 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
In my shul....

edited

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:01 am
Baby girls being named at the Torah I've seen from various groups.

DD1 was named there. Not DD2 because DS1 kept whining to be carried. LOL.

As a rav told us the only problem would be if smelly diaper.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:31 am
In my parents young israel shul the rav announced only boys. My husband said his machzor says bec young boys cant get aliyos they do kol nearim instead

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:37 am
in all shuls that have davened in so far, even chasidish crowd, there are no rules who can go under the tallis. usually all toddler girls go as well. this year I didnt wait for kol haneorim. I went home to prepare the food, so my toddler girl missed it.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:39 am
I never heard of girls going up for kol hanearim. Men get aliyahs, not women. Since every male has to try to get an aliyah on simchas torah, the boys who cant say the brachos yet go under the tallis toether for kol hanearim. Why on earth should girls be oleh l'torah - it's a boys' thing. I dont see the issue here.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:42 am
removed
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics