Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Social Services Thread
1  2  Next

What government benefits do you receive: Make sure to read all options
I receive Medicaid, Foodstamps, Section 8, Welfare, and whatever there is to offer  
 0%  [ 1 ]
I receive Medicaid, Foodstamps, Section 8 (may or may not receive HEAP)  
 0%  [ 1 ]
I receive Medicaid and Foodstamps (and possibily some other programs like vouchers or heap)  
 14%  [ 20 ]
I receive Medicaid and Section 8  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I receive Foodstamps and Section 8  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I just receive Foodstamps  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I just receive Section 8 (which may or may not be contributing to my mortgage under their mortgage plan)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I just receive Medicaid  
 12%  [ 17 ]
I have an insurance plan such as Family Health Plus or Child Health Plus  
 9%  [ 13 ]
I have insurance from the Healthy NY option  
 1%  [ 2 ]
I do not receive government benefits  
 57%  [ 81 ]
Other: Please explain  
 3%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 140

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:45 am
Want to see the statistics of those receiving or not receiving government benefits on this site.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:49 am
Op maybe be the first to start...doesn't seem like you voted for any!

leah233

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:48 am
Do Obamacare subsidies count as government assistance?It isn't on the list

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 11:50 am
I receive Medicaid. My special needs child is also eligible for disability, but I don't collect it because I feel that it's wrong to take money from the government unless I am in dire straits and can not manage without it. I'd rather work hard and take less.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:43 pm
amother wrote:
I receive Medicaid. My special needs child is also eligible for disability, but I don't collect it because I feel that it's wrong to take money from the government unless I am in dire straits and can not manage without it. I'd rather work hard and take less.

Ooooooooh, can I PLEASE kiss your toes???
As if those who have to take it are laying on the beach soaking up the sun??
How judgemental and naive.

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:54 pm
I honestly don't see any good coming out of this thread. Those who don't take programs will be nasty and condescending to those who do, and those who do will get all defensive and be nasty right back. It will turn into another "mommy wars" thread.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
Ooooooooh, can I PLEASE kiss your toes???
As if those who have to take it are laying on the beach soaking up the sun??
How judgemental and naive.

I reported your comment. I'm not sure why you needed to state what you did, especially in such a condescending, rude manner.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 1:04 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I reported your comment. I'm not sure why you needed to state what you did, especially in such a condescending, rude manner.

Because I find it hurtful when people say things like that. When people say that those who accept social services are choosing not to work hard. I find it very, very presumptuous and judgemental.

mandr

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 1:21 pm
First of all, there is no more Healthy NY for individuals, only a few grandfathered small business plans, but most people do not have that. You should have given an option for Health Exchange aka marketplace plans. Your survey is highly inaccurate as it does not offer enough choices.

I agree with the amother who finds it annoying when people brag like that with a holier-than-thou attitude. If you are so amazing and are trying to save the government's money and use less benefits, you should first work on your attitude. Amazing people don't have to share the fact they're amazing with the world. Keep it to yourself.

And personally I'd rather work less and provide more care to a disabled child (and get benefits) than to work more just to avoid benefit eligibility.

To answer OPs question, I have been eligible for prenatal Medicaid when I was pregnant with my son. I did not need the Medicaid but my son did because he wouldn't be covered under my insurance plan. My son's Medicaid lasted a full year (he is now 1) and it provided him with health insurance and WIC (for both of us for the year since I was nursing him).

I am very glad that we were able to benefit from WIC because once my son joined the family we had a lot more expenses, suddenly, and the extra food at no cost was very much appreciated.

I was glad for that option to receive WIC even though it's gone now, but this was certainly better than taking a second job and be home even less for him (as it is I work a full day) to avoid benefits. Come on!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 1:23 pm
mandr wrote:
First of all, there is no more Healthy NY for individuals, only a few grandfathered small business plans, but most people do not have that. You should have given an option for Health Exchange aka marketplace plans. Your survey is highly inaccurate as it does not offer enough choices.
!

I initially had more but was required to erase them because the poll is not allowed to be any longer than it is now! I have the max. amount of options that's why there is an other

mandr

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:
I initially had more but was required to erase them because the poll is not allowed to be any longer than it is now! I have the max. amount of options that's why there is an other

Make the survey on Google spreadsheets or something and then post a link to it here. THat would be a lot more helpful. You can choose all kinds of question formats.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
Because I find it hurtful when people say things like that. When people say that those who accept social services are choosing not to work hard. I find it very, very presumptuous and judgemental.

I didn't get that attitude from her post. She was just sharing her opinion in what appeared to me to be a non judgmental way. Your post I'm responding to now is a very fair statement.

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 1:34 pm
mandr wrote:

I agree with the amother who finds it annoying when people brag like that with a holier-than-thou attitude. If you are so amazing and are trying to save the government's money and use less benefits, you should first work on your attitude. Amazing people don't have to share the fact they're amazing with the world. Keep it to yourself.

And personally I'd rather work less and provide more care to a disabled child (and get benefits) than to work more just to avoid benefit eligibility.

To answer OPs question, I have been eligible for prenatal Medicaid when I was pregnant with my son. I did not need the Medicaid but my son did because he wouldn't be covered under my insurance plan. My son's Medicaid lasted a full year (he is now 1) and it provided him with health insurance and WIC (for both of us for the year since I was nursing him).

I am very glad that we were able to benefit from WIC because once my son joined the family we had a lot more expenses, suddenly, and the extra food at no cost was very much appreciated.

I was glad for that option to receive WIC even though it's gone now, but this was certainly better than taking a second job and be home even less for him (as it is I work a full day) to avoid benefits. Come on!

You're reading way too much into what was said. A poster said she felt it was wrong to accept benefits which she didn't really financially need. She didn't brag or exhibit a holier than thou attitude. She did mention that she works hard to provide for her family. Its likely she does. Its likely that you do as well. What is problematic about that? Why should she be ashamed of it?

I'll respectfully ask you to reconsider your words directed to her, which I have bolded above. Perhaps you were hurt and lashing out, but I do find them to be cruel to someone who is simply doing her best to raise her child(ren) the best way she can.

penguin

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 1:43 pm

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:09 pm
penguin wrote:

Translation?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:

I am this poster. To those who lashed out at me, I can only hope you're coming from a place of intense pain and aren't this nasty in real life, and to those who defended me, thank you.

I did not mean to be judgmental in any way. Those who accept government assistance because they need it, I really feel for you, and by all means, take it. That's what it's there for. What gets me is those who take government money instead of working. I am not rich by any stretch. I am actually supporting DH through med school. I will probably have to start taking disability for my child this year, and when I need to, I will. But I am proud to say that I work really hard to support us on my own, so other hard working people don't have to pay for my child's disability.

Mandr, do you think I wouldn't rather stay home and take care of my child than work? I'm the sole breadwinner right now, are you? Thank you for judging me for working really hard to support my family and take care of my children at the same time. So you chose to work less, on the government's dime, rather than work. How very noble.

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
I am this poster. To those who lashed out at me, I can only hope you're coming from a place of intense pain and aren't this nasty in real life, and to those who defended me, thank you.

I did not mean to be judgmental in any way. Those who accept government assistance because they need it, I really feel for you, and by all means, take it. That's what it's there for. What gets me is those who take government money instead of working. I am not rich by any stretch. I am actually supporting DH through med school. I will probably have to start taking disability for my child this year, and when I need to, I will. But I am proud to say that I work really hard to support us on my own, so other hard working people don't have to pay for my child's disability.

Mandr, do you think I wouldn't rather stay home and take care of my child than work? I'm the sole breadwinner right now, are you? Thank you for judging me for working really hard to support my family and take care of my children at the same time. So you chose to work less, on the government's dime, rather than work. How very noble.

I think that the people who are offended by your words are trying to say that just because a person isn't working, or isn't working full time, or isn't the sole breadwinner, doesn't mean that they're not otherwise working "really hard". Perhaps their special needs child takes so much out of them that there's no strength left to work. Ir perhaps they're not qualified to earn enough to pay for appropriate childcare, therapy etc. I think that.s why people's feathers are ruffled.

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
I did not mean to be judgmental in any way...

amother wrote:
So you chose to work less, on the government's dime, rather than work. How very noble.

But amother, don't you see how this can come across as judgemental? How do you know who is affected physically, emotionally, and mentally by the difficulties inherent in raising a special needs child? Not everyone is affected the same way. And who knows what else is going on in their life? Maybe social services income is the only thing keeping their marriage together, because if they had to work on top of everything else they would totally crack.
You are obviously handling the pressure well BH. But people are different, and not everyone has the same capabilities.
Just for example.

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:45 pm
Emotional wrote:
But amother, don't you see how this can come across as judgemental? How do you know who is affected physically, emotionally, and mentally by the difficulties inherent in raising a special needs child? Not everyone is affected the same way. And who knows what else is going on in their life? Maybe social services income is the only thing keeping their marriage together, because if they had to work on top of everything else they would totally crack.
You are obviously handling the pressure well BH. But people are different, and not everyone has the same capabilities.
Just for example.

I'm not amother, but please recall what she was responding to. She was told that she has a "holier than thou" attitude. "oooh, please, can I kiss your toes." Worst of all, she was told that by making the decision to work, instead of taking government funds, she was a lousy mother. "And personally I'd rather work less and provide more care to a disabled child (and get benefits) than to work more just to avoid benefit eligibility."

Is amother expected to sit back and take all of the attacks without responding?

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:48 pm
Barbara wrote:
I'm not amother, but please recall what she was responding to. She was told that she has a "holier than thou" attitude. "oooh, please, can I kiss your toes." Worst of all, she was told that by making the decision to work, instead of taking government funds, she was a lousy mother. "And personally I'd rather work less and provide more care to a disabled child (and get benefits) than to work more just to avoid benefit eligibility."

Is amother expected to sit back and take all of the attacks without responding?

Maybe I didn't read all the replies thoroughly enough. But in any case, I just knew this would get yucky .
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics