Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
I'm going to stop nursing, how to put him to sleep now?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:20 pm
My baby is 13 months and I want to stop nursing him. He only nurses twice a day, when he wakes up, and then again at bed time and that's how he falls asleep. So what do I do now? He doesn't take a bottle (he refuses), only sippy cups. Any advice would be so helpful!

imasinger

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:25 pm
It's best to avoid sugary (milk, juice) drinks at bedtime anyway.

Try this:

Start by singing to him as you nurse him, and unlatch him just as the eyes droop, but before he is all the way out. Put him in the crib,and pat his back while you keep singing. Eventually, lower your voice and lift your hand.

Graadually unlatch a little sooner each night, until he seems ready for you to skip it. Hold him, start to sing, then put him in the crib as before.

Doing whatever you do for naptime will work, too, since he is not nursing to sleep then.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:44 pm
I'm doing exactly this with my 18 month old now.
I sit with her on the bed and have her lay and cuddle in my hands, and sing or speak softly to her.
Once she's sleepy I put her into bed.
It takes time, but It is getting shorter and shorter bh, and sometimes she just goes right in without me holding her.
Bh it is working, it may or may not work for you!

Babies do learn!

little_mage

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:48 pm
When I was stopping nursing to sleep, I gave my son a sippy cup of water in the crib at night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics