Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you seal drafty windows effectively every winter?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 6:39 am
For those who have been there done that, can you share your tried and true methods? I'm very tight in funds so I don't want to spend $$ on the wrong stuff
Thanks

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 6:48 am
We've used plastic and tape. Looks horribly ugly though. I hope you get some better ideas here.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 8:32 am
we have a big drafty window right across from my front door. there was a major draft. they sell special plastic and double sided tape that is easy to use and you need to blow dry it after to help seal it. after a few years we decided to install a storm door and it made a huge difference.

Leahh

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:27 am
I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/....._1_11

rachelbg

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:47 pm
We use masking tape over the gaps/vents in the ac, then dh tapes a blanket over the ac also.

chickpea_salad

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:13 pm
I recommend the plastic that you blow-dry; it is cheap, and letting the light in makes up for the pennies you will save by using sheet plastic. I have used the 3M window kit and a knock off brand and both worked fine. The first year we were here we were so poor, I kept it up all year on two single pane windows to save money the following winter.

Now in the bedroom I have thick curtains that also help with heat retention but they were pricey. It might be worth doing the plastic this year and saving up for curtains for the future.

If you have a door to the outside it is worth putting a rolled towel over that too if you can feel cold air coming under it. If you have a deep freeze you can go broke staying warm!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics