Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
URGENT!- looking for a book title in a big hurry, pls help!
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:28 am
hi, my son is in 9th grade in a school that is much more modern than we are. The english literature book that the teacher chose for hte class to read has some graphic s-x scenes in it, I complained and they offered 4 my son 2 read a different bok instead and sent him home with a book that is a lot better but still not what I want 4 my sheltered son. The teacher has now asked me to suggest some 'contemporary fiction titles' that would be more appropriate for him asap! My mind is a blank
Can anyoene suggest some titles for me please?TIA

anon for this

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:44 am
Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury has no s-x scenes at all.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:45 am
anon for this wrote:
Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury has no s-x scenes at all.

Thank yu so much! If you have a minute to tell me alittle more about it, I would so appreciate it! What kind of reading level is it, is it right level for an intelligent 9th grader? and what is its basic theme etc?Thnaks so much for responding!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:46 am
What do you mean by contemporary?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:49 am
I'm trying to remember what I read in high school...

Lord of the Flies
Things Fall Apart

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:52 am
Death be not Proud
Light in the Forest
A Separate Peace
Hiroshima
The House of the Seven Gables

What were the books you found objectionable? It might help the rest of us know what you are looking for.......

ETA you can google these titles and find online synopses.

Last edited by Chayalle on Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:53 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
What do you mean by contemporary?

good question! I dont know! and I dont want to drive the teacher crazy with emails so I am turning to you ladies foradvice instead. The teacher is already frustrated with me for causing him such problems!
Lord of the flies they read last year, what is the other book about HY? Thanks

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:54 am
Thisng Fall Apart - is that the one about African Society changes?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:56 am
Chayalle wrote:
Death be not Proud
Light in the Forest
A Separate Peace
Hiroshima
The House of the Seven Gables

What were the books you found objectionable? It might help the rest of us know what you are looking for.......

ETA you can google these titles and find online synopses.

Thanks.
He just read A separate peace, so that is the type ofbook we are looking for I guess!
objectionable book number 1 was The kite runner
second book was nectar in a sieve - no graphic scenes but it would have exposed my sheltered son to passages about zonahs and first night of marriage and illegitimate children.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:57 am
OP - assuming he will be sitting in English class, how are you planning on sheltering him? How can you expect the teacher to have to read books especially for your son? How can she maintain thesis discussions with him and teach him about abstract ideas and concepts in literature when he cannot keep up with the class? If it's so important to you, why don't you pull him from that one class? I'm not being funny at all. I just don't see why you feel what you've suggested is an appropriate solution.

anon for this

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
Thank yu so much! If you have a minute to tell me alittle more about it, I would so appreciate it! What kind of reading level is it, is it right level for an intelligent 9th grader? and what is its basic theme etc?Thnaks so much for responding!

I misspelled the name earlier, it's Fahrenheit 451.

Here's an Amazon summary of the book:

amazon wrote:
Ray Bradbury’s internationally acclaimed novel Fahrenheit 451 is a masterwork of twentieth-century literature set in a bleak, dystopian future.

Guy Montag is a fireman. In his world, where television rules and literature is on the brink of extinction, firemen start fires rather than put them out. His job is to destroy the most illegal of commodities, the printed book, along with the houses in which they are hidden.

Montag never questions the destruction and ruin his actions produce, returning each day to his bland life and wife, Mildred, who spends all day with her television “family.” But then he meets an eccentric young neighbor, Clarisse, who introduces him to a past where people didn’t live in fear and to a present where one sees the world through the ideas in books instead of the mindless chatter of television.

When Mildred attempts suicide and Clarisse suddenly disappears, Montag begins to question everything he has ever known. He starts hiding books in his home, and when his pilfering is discovered, the fireman has to run for his life.

I think it's on a 9th or 10th grade reading level, so your son should be fine reading it. It's less violent than Lord of the Flies.

anon for this

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:04 am
Chayalle wrote:
A Separate Peace

OT but I found this book so irritating. About halfway through I wanted to push both Gene and Phineas off a branch.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:06 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
OP - assuming he will be sitting in English class, how are you planning on sheltering him? How can you expect the teacher to have to read books especially for your son? How can she maintain thesis discussions with him and teach him about abstract ideas and concepts in literature when he cannot keep up with the class? If it's so important to you, why don't you pull him from that one class? I'm not being funny at all. I just don't see why you feel what you've suggested is an appropriate solution.

thank you for commenting. I had the same concerns. the teacher said that it is not the first time a parent has objected to the first book, and my son can spend that period in the library reading and working on his chosen book, he willset him work to do and meet wiht him towards the end of each class to discuss everyting. you are right, it is not ideal. but his whole school situation is not ideal. it tears me apart that he is in this school, there is no yeshiva in town suitable for him, I am chareidi, his new school is co-ed and only a very small percentage is shomer shabbos at all...

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
thank you for commenting. I had the same concerns. the teacher said that it is not the first time a parent has objected to the first book, and my son can spend that period in the library reading and working on his chosen book, he willset him work to do and meet wiht him towards the end of each class to discuss everyting. you are right, it is not ideal. but his whole school situation is not ideal. it tears me apart that he is in this school, there is no yeshiva in town suitable for him, I am chareidi, his new school is co-ed and only a very small percentage is shomer shabbos at all...

Right. I was not attacking you at all, just trying to see how this set up could work. It sounds like the school and yourself both have it under control. It's a good thing that the school is accommodating, and I'm sure even then it is difficult for you to have him in the school. Hatzlacha.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:16 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Right. I was not attacking you at all, just trying to see how this set up could work. It sounds like the school and yourself both have it under control. It's a good thing that the school is accommodating, and I'm sure even then it is difficult for you to have him in the school. Hatzlacha.

thanks scrabble123... they r really trying...

Dev80

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:17 am
I wish I could help you in HS we only read appropriate books (although not all contemporary), and we read tons we had two books a week to read but I don't remember much of them!

What about Huckleberry Finn? is that contemporary?

Here's a list of recommended reading for the AP english lit exam, maybe some other imamothers can chime in with some books they remember, good luck! A lot of them on the list are NOT 100% kosher so be careful

http://www.arrowheadschools.or.....M.pdf

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:32 am
thank you dev80, and thank you to everyone who has responded! I really realy appreciate your help today! to the person who sugested Light inthe forest, is it clean of male-female type scenes? and also the same with fahrenhiet 451?
thanks

any othe suggestions?
I tried to wade through the arrowhead list dev80 , but dont have enough time to do it. I am typing with one hand and nursing my newborn adn have to respond to teacher asap
thanks

anon for this

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:36 am
OP, as I wrote earlier, there are no bedroom scenes in Fahrenheit 451 at all. Nothing even close.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:37 am
For information about book content and age-appropriateness: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/
Just type the book title in the Search box.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:39 am
Thank you all so much, I just emailed the teacher wiht a list of a few of your suggstions, including Fahrenheit 451, light in the forest, Lord of the flies, hiroshima

You ladies are great, thanks
Hugs to you all!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room