Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
BDE baby killed in jerusalem terror attack
Previous  1  2  3

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:53 pm
My GUESS is that Rabbi Halperin (the grandfather) when he said they were waiting for years (meaning 2) was taken to mean "many years" as it usually connotes....no idea where the 13 came from either.

eschaya

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 6:36 pm
I know the father, though he is much younger than I am. He grew up down the block from me. A wonderful family. I was hoping against hope after hearing the name that it wasn't them (though would it really be any better if it's another Braun family that I don't know? No at all, just not as personal).
BDE. Please Hashem, make this stop.

mommyla

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:58 pm
eschaya wrote:
I know the father, though he is much younger than I am. He grew up down the block from me. A wonderful family. I was hoping against hope after hearing the name that it wasn't them (though would it really be any better if it's another Braun family that I don't know? No at all, just not as personal).
BDE. Please Hashem, make this stop.

Me too, I guess we must have been neighbors. It would still be terribly tragic if I didn't know them, but it hits so much deeper when it's someone you know.

ez-pass

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:59 pm
So sad. Cant stop thinking about it. I don't know them well but I was in school the same time as tue mother.she is two grades younger than me. Her sister in my class. It is so crazy sad.

bargainlover

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:35 pm
I cant stop thinking about this precious neshama. I was in school with Chani. She is the sweetest, nicest girl from an amazing family. We are lighting Shabbos candles bli neder a few minutes early tomorrow, liluy nishmas Chaya Zissel HYD. May we only hear simchos and besuros tovos, and Mashiach very very soon!

ally

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 2:06 am
marina wrote:
I don't think the AP headline reflects anything but the rush the headline guy is in. If you read the story, he basically took the first five words of the article and made a headline out of it. Sloppy, but not really bigoted.

Think about it- a tragedy with an infant is a way better headline for clickbaiting than a guy gets shot. So there's really no reason for them to logically choose the second over the first.

It's not a "guy getting shot". It's a Palestinian shot by an Israeli Policeman. Compared to an Israeli baby.
You honestly think such a headline happens in a vacuum?
(And even if it were an "innocent" mistake, it still took them two more tries to get to "Palestinian kills baby at Jerusalem station"? Because why?)

Meanwhile, when Abu Khdeir was murdered, it took all of five minutes for the US State Dept, the UN, bodies of the EU, to start condemning violence even before anyone had a concrete idea of what happened. Here, like after the three boys were murdered, silence. Even though the parents are US citizens.

It is like, if you are a Jew is Israel, we expect you to be murdered by terrorists and its your own fault for putting yourself in that situation.

m in Israel

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 2:21 am
Barbara wrote:
While I disagree with Marina's conclusions, her facts are accurate. The original first line of the story was, "Israeli police say they have shot a man whose car slammed into a crowded train stop in east Jerusalem, in what they suspect was an intentional attack." See http://www.dailysabah.com/mideast/2014/10/22/israeli-police-shoot-man-in-east-jerusalem, a Turkish site which retained the original AP story.

However hasty the reporting, the headline and lede show what the AP felt was the most important point -- that a Palestinian was shot by police. It is only after that is reported that AP pointed out that a police spokesman "said" that 9 people were injured. The article then goes on to point out that there was no word on the condition of the "driver" (without referring to the condition of his victims) and that there has been unrest since a Palestinian teenager was immolated by "Jewish extremists" in July. (Note the use of the word "Jewish," not "Israeli.") The article does note that it was immediately assumed that this was a terror attack. Thus, with the knowledge that this "person" purposely drove his car into a crowd of people in order to injure and kill them, AP felt that the most important point to make was that the perpetrator was shot by Israeli police.

In which case, as you point out, the bigotry is simply shifted from the headline writer to the author of the article. Or the editor. I can't imagine any journalist, however rushed or sloppy his work is, choosing to headline an article about the terrible tragedy in Canada yesterday "The Canadian Parliament’s ceremonial sergeant-at-arms has shot a man attempting to enter the building" with no reference to the fact that the "man" was a shooter. (I realize we are making the same point, Barbara. I am only quoting you to respond to your explanation about the original article, which I guess was down before I saw it.)

frumsari

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 11:42 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
IYH this family will have many more healthy children.

Amen

frosting

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:51 pm
the mother is such a special person! such a tzenua and so careful of what comes out of her mouth! they are a special couple! maybe it would be incumbent on every single imamother here to take on 1 small kaballah in one of those areas for a special zechus li'iluy nishmaso chaya zissel bas shmuel elimelech.
let's all unite and do this together!
may her neshama have an aliya and be a meleitz yosher for all of KY.
and may her family find nechama and have yeshuos bekarov!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics