Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Well Visits?!?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 3:02 pm
I find it interesting to read about well visits as I live in the UK and it seems unheard of here. None of the kids I know are taken for yearly check-ups. There's simply no such thing in our doctor's clinic. Neither at any of the other clinics in my area. You only go to the doctor if you are concerned about something.

Neither to adults have yearly check-ups. Smear tests, yes. But not a regular health check. Occasionally my blood pressure and temperature have been checked but that's it.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 3:04 pm
Often schools and/or camps require well checks, and a note from the doctor that the child is fit to participate in physical education and sports. It's a time to make sure you're up to date on vaccinations, and to make sure your child is physical growing normally. Also, if you child has a condition (even allergies), it is good to discuss it with your doctor before the child goes to day camp/camp/ school in order to know how to present it to the staff.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 3:28 pm
OP here. I'm very much on top of my kids health so I'm not really concerned but I would love the idea of a well visit...

boysrus

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. I'm very much on top of my kids health so I'm not really concerned but I would love the idea of a well visit...

FYI my kids hate it. To them it means time for vaccinations and examinations of their privates.
And as I grew up in teh UK, I hate it too. Honestly, if I had the choice I wouldnt take them, but I always find I need to becasue that is when theyneed their vaccinations and also some of the schools need you to get upto date records for sports and that kind of hting. If you havent been for a well visit, my pediatrician insists that the go for a well visit before he will sign anything for schools..Sad

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 4:22 pm
The government rather pay for preventive care (which is relatively cheap) than for curing illnesses. And illnesses can often be prevented and or treated efficiently early on with regular yearly exams. Preventive care (including yearly well visits) are usually free from the insurance as an incentive to encourage people to seek preventive care.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:49 pm
OP here. None of my kid's schools require any medical data so that never happens.
Are their vitamin levels checked at well visits?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:59 pm
My pediatrician only does blood work every few years, unless there are specific concerns in the interim.

mandr

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:20 am
Even if the doctor doesn't prescribe bloodwork, I'll ask for a prescription for it if it's been like 2-3 years since the last workup.

OP, if the school doesn't require wellvisits, do they also not concern themselves with immunizations? Do they still make sure everyone is up to date on their shots?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics