Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Do you live in upstate NY?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 6:09 pm
I'm considering moving upstate, and I've been looking at several communities including Fallsburg, Ellenville, White Lake and Woodridge. Does anyone here live in any of those towns that can tell me more about those communities? Im also open to suggestions for other OOT communites in wide open spaces within a 2 hour drive from NYC.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:13 pm
bump

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:18 pm
My in-laws live in Fallsburg, DH grew up there. I might be able to answer some questions. What did you want to know?

chanamichaelah007

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 3:55 pm
Wouldn't recommend for year round living. Very small and isolated. Rochester maybe for an upstate OOT community? Would also not recommend Albany, though I would over the Ellenville area.

sbs

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 4:39 pm
how about waterbury, ct?

it's a lot more established than the places you mentioned

as is 2 hrs from nyc

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 7:41 am
Thanks for these responses! Have any of you guys actually lived there? I'm actually looking for a small community, but I'm worried about how isolated it actually is up there. We don't really fit a mold, and I would have a difficult time choosing schools etc in a larger community.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 8:47 am
Is the 2 hrs from NY a make it or break it criteria for you? If not as one of the above posters suggested, Rochester may be a good community for you. OOT but not secluded. 5-6 hours from most places like NY, Montréal, Baltimore. Even less to Cleveland and Toronto. Definitely a good place for someone who does not fit a mold. Only one school to really chose from. Great education both secular and judaic. Search the threads here there is a lot of info.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 8:58 am
I'm the amother whose in-laws live in Fallsburg.

It is pretty isolated. The community is very small. But it's nice in that everyone knows each other. Several young couples (mostly people who grew up there) have moved back recently, so it's not just an older community.

There is a year-round supermarket now that's fairly well-stocked, and the pizza store was open in the winter a couple of years ago, not sure if they still stay open. Other shopping is nonexistent except during the summer, but Monsey is just an hour away.

The winters are cold and harsh. In the summer the town is completely taken over by bungalow-goers. Most locals don't love that, but at least there are more stores open.

The community is warm and welcoming, super yeshivish, no pressure to keep up with the Schwartzes. The cheder is not fantastic (DH had a terrible education but I don't know if that's changed). There is now a high school for girls (my SILs boarded out of town for HS) that is tiny and new so I can't vouch for the educational standards. And of course, the older boys can attend Fallsburg mesivta and bais medrash.

Good luck!

chanamichaelah007

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 10:02 am
I live near there. I was told by a rabbi in Fallsburg not to move there, that we would never be accepted. We don't fit the mold. We were kinda accepted in Albany. Many folks tell us to head to Baltimore, that it's a more welcoming open friendly community than many.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 1:03 pm
We're not yeshivish at all. Quite the opposite. By Fallsburg I mean the tiny non yeshivish community.

chanamichaelah007

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 7:01 pm
Maybe could work if you don't and won't have school age children. But what school will children go to if you do?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 6:06 am
Kiamesha Hebrew Day School.

Didi

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 6:55 am
call the rabbi and rebitzen in Ellenville they are amazing people. They are down to earth and will tell you the ins and outs of living their...

chanamichaelah007

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:55 pm
OK- Got it. I visited years ago and it made me sad. But maybe I was looking at it the wrong way. Though it wasn't what I wanted for my son, and it was the principal there whom I mentioned earlier who told me not to move there, it may be a good fit for you. It's small, it's isolated and it made me feel lonely but others might have a rich experience there because of the small factor and therefore maybe closer relationships with a more intimate group of people. Guess you just have to really know what your needs are. All the best.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating