Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Puppy in the cart

mandr

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 12:03 pm
My friend was shopping in a local supermarket and saw someone pushing a cart of groceries, with his puppy sitting up front (where a child sits). I was horrified because my baby normally sits in that spot, and who knows how clean this dog is? Is it mentchlich?

Now I know those of you with pets will counter that with "well my pet is just as clean as your baby," but sorry, no.

I am so disgusted now. I own a cart liner that you strap on and the baby sits in that, all protected, but I stopped using it once my baby didn't stick his hands into his mouth every two seconds. It's kind of a bigger shlep to use that now since my baby is heavier and it's cold outside.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 12:08 pm
I think that a dog belongs in a dog carrier, unless it is a pet store where he/she may be on a leash or in the cart.

Anyways, the cart is just as clean/dirty if the dog was there or not, you don't need to be more "grossed out" because a dog was sitting there.

penguin

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 12:09 pm
Ugh. I have seen tiny dogs in a doggy stroller. But a shopping cart in the supermarket?

Well, actually, you could be just as worried (or more so) about germs from other children. Do you know the human mouth has more bacteria than a dog's? I think I read that somewhere. Human bites are more likely to get infected etc. So a child with hands in mouth touching the handle - you and your child are exposed to those germs.

I guess we should all carry antiseptic wipes & wipe down all public surfaces before touching them (elevator buttons? bathroom door handles? I always use my sleeve.... and am very impressed that now many places have no main door at all on the bathroom!)

mandr

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 12:11 pm
penguin wrote:
Ugh. I have seen tiny dogs in a doggy stroller. But a shopping cart in the supermarket?

Well, actually, you could be just as worried (or more so) about germs from other children. Do you know the human mouth has more bacteria than a dog's? I think I read that somewhere. Human bites are more likely to get infected etc. So a child with hands in mouth touching the handle - you and your child are exposed to those germs.

I guess we should all carry antiseptic wipes & wipe down all public surfaces before touching them (elevator buttons? bathroom door handles? I always use my sleeve.... and am very impressed that now many places have no main door at all on the bathroom!)

I do have a pocket size Lysol in my bag. I could really use it on shopping carts (used it for surfaces before and after changing my baby's diaper).

Yucky, thanks for making me feel better about germs... NOT Smile

syrima

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 12:21 pm
I've seen people put their dogs in the laundry carts in our building that are supposed to be used for clean clothes.
As Hagrid famously said, "People can be a bit stupid about their pets." Rolling Eyes

abaker

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 12:50 pm
thats so gross and weird! dogs don't belong in grocery stores unless their service dogs...which in that case they wouldn't be in the cart....not only do I put my baby in the seat...sometimes there's bananas..or a bag of potatoes...or some other random food item in that part of the cart, right where the dog's rear end was plopped down! lol totally not sanitary I'm actually surprised the store didn't say something to the person. Puke

mandr

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 12:57 pm
I would have definitely told the person something but I wasn't there. And my friend actually thought it was cute (she took a picture to show me)! She doesn't have a baby, though Wink

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 1:11 pm
Yup, humans generally carry a lot more nasty bacteria than dogs do. All those carts are filthy and full of more germs than a lab. You can get one of those covers if you really care...

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 1:13 pm
I am a dog person. Actually, an animal lover and pwner of multiple pets. I feel that a supermarket is not the place for a pet unless its a service animal.

Having said that, I think you are over reacting with your "eww" "disgusting". Babies drool, poop and diapers leak, pee drips, eat in the cart and drip on it. You may not want to hear it, but the furry bottom of a dog may not be any cleaner then a baby, but it certianly isnt any dirtier.

In the past, when I have been at a grocery store and pets near displays of open food like a salad bar or catering, I have actually gone and complained to the manager about contamination. But I would not say that a baby is any less likely to reach over and grab something that's open.

Last edited by watergirl on Fri, Oct 24 2014, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

anotherima

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 1:15 pm
As much as I am a dog lover I would say that is inappropriate and should be taken up with the store manager.

bnm

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 1:39 pm
I have a shopping cart cover with a harness. My kids used it till they where old enough to sit in the cart without a harness and I was able to trust them not to jump out or lean over 'to touch the wheels'. shopping carts are DIRTY. I kept the cover on bottom of my stroller or made sure to take it when I knew I would be going to the supermarket

granolamom

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 4:44 pm
shopping carts are gross, pets or no.
I honestly dont have a problem with a dog in the cart. as far as your bananas going in there, well do you have any idea how many hands touched your bananas before they got to your kitchen? dirty, sneezed on hands that may have touched raw chicken moments before. speaking of raw chicken, it leaks all over the shopping cart sometimes. really gross. I once saw a parrot on someone's shoulder in the grocery store (no joke), which I thought was really gross, and once a ferret climbing in and out of someone's sleeve while she was loading her groceries onto the checkout counter. If there's no 'no animals' sign outside, the manager probably cant do anything about it.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 6:55 pm
While I agree that non service animals do not belong in stores, I have to say that I find children to be far more unhygienic than dogs. You are far more likely to catch something from another human than you are from a different species. There are very few zoonotic diseases these days, but tons of colds and flus that we can catch.

I'd also rather be in a store with a very quiet and well behaved dog, than with a screaming child who is grabbing everything in sight with their grubby hands.

mandr

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:14 pm
I wrote in my OP that I had a liner. I just didn't think id need to use it until my baby outgrows the front seat!

It's a place designed for children as apparent by the harness and seat part that folds down. It's not meant for dogs or other animals. Really.

When a dog poops, its caretaker doesn't wipe it down with baby wipes. When human babies do a job, it is wiped down. I know that we don't use antiseptic wipes but still the baby is cleaner.

Pregnant shouldn't change litter - for that reason. Nobody warns them against changing babies' diapers. There's a difference.

sequoia

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:18 pm
I think if we knew about the germs that surround us, on phones, keyboards, doorknobs, light switches, we would never leave our beds.

Everything is gross, basically.

rachel91

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 8:32 pm
sequoia wrote:
I think if we knew about the germs that surround us, on phones, keyboards, doorknobs, light switches, we would never leave our beds.

Everything is gross, basically.

Exactly Rolling Eyes , you can not live in this world without germ exposure, and all the wipers and bottles of whatever won't help you avoid it.
Those shopping carts are not clean to begin with.

By saying this, I don't think a puppy belongs there either, but I wouldn't find it gross, rather amusing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette