Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Kitchen design layout
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 10:50 pm
I do not know how to upload a copy of the kitchen design plan we are working on, but I have a question.

I have 2 corner sinks, with the following in the middle on the bottom: 21" cabinet, dishwasher, 21" cabinet.

I really want the pullout garbage in that first cabinet. But the standard roll out trash can is for a 15" or 18" cabinet.

What I really prefer is an 18" pull out trash can, a dishwasher, and a 24" cabinet, which would fit in the space I have. But then the dishwasher would be off-center.

Opinions? Advice?

Thanks so much.

SingALong

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 11:57 pm
I'd keep the dishwasher in the middle and 1 21" cabinet on 1 side with the 18" pull out garbage on the other side with a 3 inch filler. Or if there is an option for a 3" pull out storage cabinet, narrow for spices, or placemats/trays. I'd forget about having a 24" cabinet, I prefer symmetry

Fave

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:24 am
You might consider the option of having the pull-out garbage in the cabinet underneath the sink. I have it like that under both sinks (one is used for recycling)

I'm just not certain if it can be done with corner sink cabinets - but look into it - if it works, you'll be gaining more cabinet space.

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:40 am
I would do a 3 inch filler pullout.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:26 am
The Happy Wife wrote:
I would do a 3 inch filler pullout.

What is a 3'' filler pull out? Do you mean have the pullout 18 cabinet, with 3" filled in next to it, and a 21" cabinet door over the 2 for symmetry?

SingALong

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:33 am
http://www.cshardware.com/r-432-bf-3c.html

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:30 am
I have a ches shaped kitchen and really wasn't concerned about symmetry since one side has the stove/microwave but the designer was very busy with it that at least the top cabinets should match somewhat.... you can't even tell. she wanted I should match up the 2 sides on bottom as much as possible and I said I'm the one using the kitchen, not you and I refuse to put a spice rack right next to the oven- its going to kill the spices. 'but you don't need a spice rack, your not a gourmet chef'. I said I'm the one using the kitchen, I say whats going in. I use my spice rack every day and its full. overflow goes on a shelve in one of the cabinets.

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:35 am
bnm wrote:
I have a ches shaped kitchen and really wasn't concerned about symmetry since one side has the stove/microwave but the designer was very busy with it that at least the top cabinets should match somewhat.... you can't even tell. she wanted I should match up the 2 sides on bottom as much as possible and I said I'm the one using the kitchen, not you and I refuse to put a spice rack right next to the oven- its going to kill the spices. 'but you don't need a spice rack, your not a gourmet chef'. I said I'm the one using the kitchen, I say whats going in. I use my spice rack every day and its full. overflow goes on a shelve in one of the cabinets.

this is a rental. when I move Iy"H to my own house and put in my dream kitchen I will be way more on top of it and not put up with a designer like that and go to someone who is more geared to kosher homes. 'why do you need such deep sinks' 'why do you need 2 sinks' and placement I all had to do on my own and the sinks are still not as deep as I wanted. I wanted to be able to put in a really big soup pot and be able to make A LOT of soup at once and freeze.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:04 am
bnm wrote:
this is a rental. when I move Iy"H to my own house and put in my dream kitchen I will be way more on top of it and not put up with a designer like that and go to someone who is more geared to kosher homes. 'why do you need such deep sinks' 'why do you need 2 sinks' and placement I all had to do on my own and the sinks are still not as deep as I wanted. I wanted to be able to put in a really big soup pot and be able to make A LOT of soup at once and freeze.
What size pot do you have and how large of a cabinet did you need for that?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:05 am
SingALong wrote:
http://www.cshardware.com/r-432-bf-3c.html
Thank you, this is awesome! I am afraid the kitchen place will charge an arm and a leg for 2 of these. I love them though.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:06 am
OP here. I am thinking of having the pullout trashcan under one of the sinks.
Does anyone have one under their diagonal kitchen sink?

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:58 am
bnm wrote:
'why do you need such deep sinks' 'why do you need 2 sinks' and placement I all had to do on my own and the sinks are still not as deep as I wanted. I wanted to be able to put in a really big soup pot and be able to make A LOT of soup at once and freeze.

In my previous home I paid a lot of extra money to get the deepest sinks available for just that reason and I loved them.

I am now building a new home and so far have not found anything similar to what I had previously (besides extra deep, they were double sinks with one side about twice as wide as the other side). I almost wish I'd taken my sinks with from the old house!

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:01 pm
I do kitchen design and space planning professionally. You can get a trash pullout aftermarket for a 21" cabinet. Your kitchen designer should be able to figure out what width would be right (varies by cabinet type and frame): Trash pullouts

You can put a small, low trash can under a corner sink, but then there's no place to put the stuff you usually keep under the sink.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:46 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
In my previous home I paid a lot of extra money to get the deepest sinks available for just that reason and I loved them.

I am now building a new home and so far have not found anything similar to what I had previously (besides extra deep, they were double sinks with one side about twice as wide as the other side). I almost wish I'd taken my sinks with from the old house!

How deep do you want? I work for a kitchen supply retailer and might be able to help you.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
How deep do you want? I work for a kitchen supply retailer and might be able to help you.

I believe my old sinks were 12" deep. But the layout of them is also important. Total sink including edges was 36" wide; one section was about 1.75' wide and the other was about .875' wide. Stainless steel. I know the old one was made by Elkay. One limiting factor is that I now need an undermount sink (previously it was a top mount) which I understand limits the depth.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:58 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I do kitchen design and space planning professionally. You can get a trash pullout aftermarket for a 21" cabinet. Your kitchen designer should be able to figure out what width would be right (varies by cabinet type and frame): Trash pullouts

You can put a small, low trash can under a corner sink, but then there's no place to put the stuff you usually keep under the sink.
Thank you so much for this info! I will talk to the designer about the 21" trash pullout.

I do not mind losing the space under one of the diagonal sinks. It's an awkward space. I will still have the space under the second sink. But I need a big trash can, so thanks for the info, it is something I need to think about Smile

Tova

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 1:35 pm
When I did my kitchen I was discouraged from corner sinks as I was told that the space behind it (that "triangle" of countertop) is awkward wasted space. I think corners in general are tricky!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 1:41 pm
Tova wrote:
When I did my kitchen I was discouraged from corner sinks as I was told that the space behind it (that "triangle" of countertop) is awkward wasted space. I think corners in general are tricky!
I know about wasted space but I made an informed decision and for my needs I would rather maximize my space in square usable cabinets than put sinks there. Thanks so much for the information!

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 1:48 pm
I was also going back and forth about corner sinks.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 4:17 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I believe my old sinks were 12" deep. But the layout of them is also important. Total sink including edges was 36" wide; one section was about 1.75' wide and the other was about .875' wide. Stainless steel. I know the old one was made by Elkay. One limiting factor is that I now need an undermount sink (previously it was a top mount) which I understand limits the depth.

Yes, most undermounts are at most 10" deep. A 36" sink is generally a single bowl; you want a 60/40. I'll look for one for you but I don't know how easy it will be to find... I'm assuming you want stainless steel. What's your budget?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics