Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do Chassidish 50+ y.o. women wear hooded coats?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:13 am
Im in BP regularly and Ive never seen fiftyish or older Chassidish women wearing hooded coats. Is it considered a "young" look, not appropriate for older women?

I see many women of all ages in Flatbush and elsewhere wearing hooded coats.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:29 am
How else would you keep your head dry when it rains/snows on Shabbos? Are only young people entitled to protection from the elements?

mommy best

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:33 am
That is why they sell rain bonnets Wink

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:36 am
Not all women are created equal and not all Chassidish women are created equal.

Maybe you have a certain image of what a Chassidish women looks or dresses like that you're not realizing that other women you're seeing are actually Chassidish too Wink

I'm sure there are Chassidish women who don't wear hooded coats, because they didn't think about getting one, they don't like it, they think it's not a classic but rather sporty look, they found a better deal on a different coat, they think it's not tznius, they think it's too trendy, too nebby, too young, too old.

And then there are Chassidish women who do wear hoods because it just makes sense to get one for the rain, they got a good deal, they like it, they don't make a big deal of style as long as it's practical, they think it's cute, and maybe they think it's the epitome of tznius because they can hide their face if it becomes necessary Tongue Out

I don't think it's something that it's a community wide thing to wear or not. Everybody can do whatever they feel like. America is still somewhat a free country Smile

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:38 am
amother wrote:
How else would you keep your head dry when it rains/snows on Shabbos? Are only young people entitled to protection from the elements?

Have YOU seen fiftyish or older Chassidish women wearing hooded coats? Its almost as if its an unwritten rule for Chassidish women not to wear a hooded coat after a certain age.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 1:13 am
amother wrote:
Have YOU seen fiftyish or older Chassidish women wearing hooded coats? Its almost as if its an unwritten rule for Chassidish women not to wear a hooded coat after a certain age.

Honestly, I wouldn't have noticed one way or the other. I don't tend to worry much about what everyone else is doing.

I had a hard time finding a nice hooded coat for myself. So happy I have one now! Cool

I'm not Chassidish though....

groisamomma

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 1:41 am
My mother does. 53 and Chassidish in BP. Then again, she was always more practical than stylish.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 2:23 am
I have been told to remove my hood from my sweatshirts and get rid of the kangaroo pockets. Hoods are considered g@yish by some.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 3:52 am
amother wrote:
I have been told to remove my hood from my sweatshirts and get rid of the kangaroo pockets. Hoods are considered g@yish by some.

What? Told by who, and on what halachic grounds? shock shock shock

I'm almost 50, and I live in Seattle. We get rain 10 months out of the year. Unless I want to go around looking like a drowned rat, I'm going to have a hood on my coat. Either that, or someone had better get me a heter to carry an umbrella on Shabbos!

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 3:58 am
amother wrote:
Im in BP regularly and Ive never seen fiftyish or older Chassidish women wearing hooded coats. Is it considered a "young" look, not appropriate for older women?

I see many women of all ages in Flatbush and elsewhere wearing hooded coats.

Disclaimer: I am not chassidish.

If it's raining or chilly, a hood isn't a "young" or "old" look -- it's a *warm* and *dry* look!

Also, if you are wearing a sheitel, then a fuzzy wool hat might not work, so how else should you keep your head warm? Do they sell fleece-lined sheitels?

Why should chassidishe women have to dress for winter (thick tights and long sleeves and closed shoes) when it's summer, and summer (no warm hoods) when it's winter?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 4:15 am
DrMom wrote:
Disclaimer: I am not chassidish.

If it's raining or chilly, a hood isn't a "young" or "old" look -- it's a *warm* and *dry* look!

Also, if you are wearing a sheitel, then a fuzzy wool hat might not work, so how else should you keep your head warm? Do they sell fleece-lined sheitels?

Why should chassidishe women have to dress for winter (thick tights and long sleeves and closed shoes) when it's summer, and summer (no warm hoods) when it's winter?

THIS.

I can just imagine someone paying $75.00 for a fancy wash and set on their sheitel, just to have the look ruined by walking 3 blocks to shul in a sudden downpour.

Yesterday it rained so hard that you literally could not see across the street. Gimme my hood!

imasoftov

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 7:49 am
amother wrote:

unwritten rules always remind me of this

Rogers: I've been told Dinsdale Piranha nailed your head to the floor.
Stig: No. Never. He was a smashing bloke. He used to buy his mother
flowers and that. He was like a brother to me.
Rogers: But the police have film of Dinsdale actually nailing your head to
the floor.
Stig: (pause) Oh yeah, he did that.
Rogers: Why?
Stig: Well he had to, didn't he? I mean there was nothing else he could do,
be fair. I had transgressed the unwritten law.
Rogers: What had you done?
Stig: Er... well he didn't tell me that, but he gave me his word that it was
the case, and that's good enough for me with old Dinsy. I mean, he
didn't *want* to nail my head to the floor. I had to insist. He
wanted to let me off. He'd do anything for you, Dinsdale would.
Rogers: And you don't bear him a grudge?
Stig: A grudge! Old Dinsy. He was a real darling.
Rogers: I understand he also nailed your wife's head to a coffee table.
Isn't that true Mrs O' Tracy?
Mrs O' Tracy: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Stig: Well he did do that, yeah. He was a hard man. Vicious but fair.

2gether

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:23 am
They will -but only in the pouring rain.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:28 am
Sigh. They gotta be more clever than that.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:44 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
What? Told by who, and on what halachic grounds? shock shock shock

I'm almost 50, and I live in Seattle. We get rain 10 months out of the year. Unless I want to go around looking like a drowned rat, I'm going to have a hood on my coat. Either that, or someone had better get me a heter to carry an umbrella on Shabbos!

I have been told by several ladies. It is not done outside the house and gym. I suppose the same halachic grounds that make blue denim assur.

You can wear a rain bonnet.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
I have been told by several ladies. It is not done outside the house and gym. I suppose the same halachic grounds that make blue denim assur.

You can wear a rain bonnet.

there are no halachic grounds that make blue denim assur.

pause

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:55 am
A hood on a coat is different than a hood on clothing meant to be worn indoors.

Most middle-aged chassidishe women I know WOULD wear a hood on the coat (if they like it) and would NOT wear a hood on a sweatshirt (they wouldn't wear a sweatshirt bichlal) or robe or other indoor garment because it's not a "dressed" look but more a sporty look.

Both my mother and mother-in-law have hooded coats and that's the only hood I've ever seen them wear.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:26 am
Yes, I have seen several. Stylish. Not so stylish. Spitzel to shaitel. Very tzniusdik conscious to normal. Sporty to classy. Principals to sahms.

chips1

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 2:19 pm
groisamomma wrote:
My mother does. 53 and Chassidish in BP. Then again, she was always more practical than stylish.

Same here Wink

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 2:25 pm
I see what you mean, I think its considered a sporty look, and that age group will usually dress more conservative and classy.

Talking about hoods, I'm in the market for a hooded winter coat where the fur isn't enormous. Any leads?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics