Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
When did family feud become so inappropriate?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:42 am
I do not have a tv and I don't usually watch tv, but I do remember enjoying family feud when I used to babysit as a teenager. Now I saw a couple of their shows and I was happy to see that it was on, but I had to shut it off in the middle because it was too inappropriate. What happened to them?

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:46 am
Same thing that happened to everything else. Sad

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 1:49 am
It's possible that you changed rather than the show. You now understand suggestive remarks and double entendres that would have gone over your head when you were a teen. OTOH, unlike in George Carlin's day, there are apparently far fewer than ten words you can't use on TV.

BTW, it's ok to say something is "offensive". "Inappropriate" is wearing a bright red dress to a funeral.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 2:02 am
The same happened to family guy but more extreme. It stated as kind of offensive. Now it's disgustingly extremely inappropriate.

morahaviva

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:01 am
I noticed it also - my kids asked if they could watch it and I said sure - ooops! I took it back rather quickly. I think that the times have changed, and their audience changed. Not to sound racist, but the african american host is much raunchier than Richard Dawson was. At least he is more overtly so. Also, notice the contestants - most families are different than they used to be...

crbc

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 2:07 pm
There are plenty of old episodes of Family Feud on YouTube. My kids love them.

marina

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 2:39 pm
morahaviva wrote:
I noticed it also - my kids asked if they could watch it and I said sure - ooops! I took it back rather quickly. I think that the times have changed, and their audience changed. Not to sound racist, but the african american host is much raunchier than Richard Dawson was. At least he is more overtly so. Also, notice the contestants - most families are different than they used to be...

If you don't want to sound racist, I recommend you take the time to find out the host's name and use that to identify him, instead of his ethnicity.

sky

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 2:44 pm
marina wrote:
If you don't want to sound racist, I recommend you take the time to find out the host's name and use that to identify him, instead of his ethnicity.

Is it any different then saying the female host, fat host, thin host, Jewish host, red headed host, etc?

If someone was on when you were watching for years as a child you would know the name.
When you watch for a second and then turn off you only know what the host looks like.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 3:53 pm
sky wrote:
Is it any different then saying the female host, fat host, thin host, Jewish host, red headed host, etc?

If someone was on when you were watching for years as a child you would know the name.
When you watch for a second and then turn off you only know what the host looks like.

and what do his looks have to do with anything? she could have said "the current host".

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 4:52 pm
Yeah, Richard Dawson was quite the gentleman when he kissed all the female guests, right?

Elizabeth W

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 11:58 am
We r talking about comments & general remarks that were much cleaner then, not if the host kissed the females or not. John O'Hurley is pretty good.

octopus

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 12:54 pm
It is so inappropriate now. Every question is sexualized.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:02 pm
zaq wrote:
It's possible that you changed rather than the show. You now understand suggestive remarks and double entendres that would have gone over your head when you were a teen. OTOH, unlike in George Carlin's day, there are apparently far fewer than ten words you can't use on TV.

BTW, it's ok to say something is "offensive". "Inappropriate" is wearing a bright red dress to a funeral.

Nope, it's the show that has changed.....Now there are questions like "name something a man will do to get his wife to have sx with him". or "name a chore a farmer might use that a couple might use as a code word for having sx". How about "name something a man might have in his pants when going on a hot date". These are all recent questions from the recent black host. The old shows never had questions like these.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:16 pm
I happened to watch a youtube clip that was a compilation of a few shows not too long ago. I was astonished. Yes, the show is so different from when I was a kid and used to watch with my bubby in the summer. This is not something I would ever want my kids watching. Everything so dirty and suggestive.

Sadie

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
Nope, it's the show that has changed.....Now there are questions like "name something a man will do to get his wife to have sx with him". or "name a chore a farmer might use that a couple might use as a code word for having sx". How about "name something a man might have in his pants when going on a hot date". These are all recent questions from the recent black host. The old shows never had questions like these.

Ugh, stop it!

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:

The host's name is Steve Harvey. Its fine not to like him. But why do you insist on defining him by the color of his skin.

leopardspots

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:31 pm
Not to sound racist!!!!!
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:37 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
The host's name is Steve Harvey. Its fine not to like him. But why do you insist on defining him by the color of his skin.

I actually love him! Dh and I watch him all the time!

agreer

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:52 pm
I was gonna answer the titular question directly: when steve harvey took over.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:

do you really think he writes the questions he asks??
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics