Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Vomiting 2 y.o. brought to Maimonides with 103+ fever

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 8:58 am
Vomiting dehydrated 2 y.o. brought to Maimonides by Hatzalah, with 103+ fever.

Maimonides Dr seemed very caring and knowledgable and took blood tests and stomach x ray bec child was vomiting badly and gave anti nausea medication to child. Mother asked if its strep. They said "they dont think so". They said blood culture takes three days to grow, but its probably viral and sent home.

Child's regular Pediatrician, in the morning, just a few hours later, says hes amazed they didnt do strep test. It was strep.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:44 am
I'm not surprised. My 3 year old niece went to the pediatrician for a strep test because she was throwing up and had a low grade fever. The rapid was negative. Three days later at midnight they went to the ER with a 104 temp. The ER gave fluids to lower the fever and sent her home with a temp of 99.2. By Friday night it was back up to 104 and my niece was complaining of dizziness. They went to a different ER and the doctor said it's viral and sent her home with instructions to take motrin.

By Saturday night her fever was still at 104 so they went to a different ER. My niece had strep with tonsilitis. Nobody had thought to run either a second strep test or an overnight culture.

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:26 am
they didn't do a simple cbc?

IMHopinion

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:54 am
Many peds believe that strep needs to be treated from 3 years old only, so it's possible the ped didn't test for strep for this reason.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:34 am
Refuah shelaima. My ped always tell us to call her from the ER so she can be on top of the situation and speak with the MD if needed. And definitely follow up immediately after discharge, which you luckily did. I find that the ER is good for managing real emergencies but not necessarily great with diagnosing.

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:37 am
While reading the title and beginning of the post, my first thought was uh oh EBOLA. BH its only strep. Do you know the chikd?

yalimommy

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:55 am
My son had strep often when he was young.
I always knew it was strep when his high fever was accompanied by vomiting....
And the strep test the doctor (sometimes grudgingly) performed almost always proved me right.
B"H he outgrew it.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:58 am
Lady Bug wrote:
While reading the title and beginning of the post, my first thought was uh oh EBOLA. BH its only strep. Do you know the chikd?

I had the same thought. thank G-d it was only strep
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics