Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chinuch and Montessori

Freidel1

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 3:59 pm
Hello, I am a mom and educator who is in the process of opening a small, nurturing early childhood program that focuses on Torah values within a Montessori environment. It will be located in the Boro Park area of Brooklyn. I have had the opportunity to dedicate most of my teaching career to preschool children including children with various learning styles( outside of the community) and ultimately observe that the individualized activities in a Montessori classroom offer children an exciting wealth of opportunities to learn with a hands on approach. Children ultimately feel confident, and gratified when they can make their own choices and succeed at accomplishing them. Indedpendence as well as maturity are developed throughout this process of learning. At last I have my own opportunity to offer both a Yiddishe curriculum that focuses on Torah values by using Montessori methods and most importantly individualized attention, understanding and support.
I have had the opportunity to teach young and enthusiastic teachers as well at Touro College who attended my classes. I introduced them to Montessori activities from Practical Life, Language and Math areas. The most fun we had at Touro was designing our own teaching games related to Parsha and Yom Tovim that made sense to young children and encouraged their Yiddishe learning. And with the use of the camera we created personal early childhood books that included topics like A Day at the Aquarium, or Let's make Kugel or My New Baby Brother.
I grew up in Boro Park and am so proud to hear that young women are more involved in their children's chinuch and purchase quality toys and educational materials as well as take classes in Chinuch and workshops in social , emotional development.
I am eager to hear from other moms and answer any questions that they might have about chinuch and the Montessori way. Miri

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 4:02 pm
No questions, but this is great news! Will you do through age 6 like she writes in her book? Three years of this is the most amazing start to give your child

Freidel1

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 4:59 pm
Thanks for your positive response. So please pass the word. Presently I am advertising 2.6-5 years old.
But 6 year olds will be welcome too . Miri

bigsis144

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 5:06 pm
Yay for you! I live in Chicago and DS is in the frum Montessori preschool here for his third year and LOVING it.

In a way it's BECAUSE we're so happy with Montessori that I'm dreading sending him into the child-mill of regular elementary school next year. I'm so scared my curious and independent learner will find it difficult sitting at a desk for 7+ hours a day at age six. Sad

Freidel1

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 5:43 pm
BRAVO to you for taking the risk and placing your child into a quality program. Hopefully your child has gained his foundation skills at his Jewish Montessori school that will carry him/her through elementary school. And I am certain BE"H that you will supplement his/her after school with what you have gained these last few years as a parent of that program. I hope like minded parents will join me in my new program. Miri

Bruria

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 7:12 pm
This is really great news! Montessori method , in my opinion, is so more in tune with kids than traditional classroom settings.
I know so many people that prefer Montessori and there are very few Jewish options out there.
Let us know when you open Wink

Freidel1

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 8:31 pm
Thank you for your supportive response. If you live locally I can Invite you next Sunday BE"H to view our program and meet the Morah who helped develop the Yiddishe curriculum. Let me know, Miri

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:20 pm
We are very happy with the Clifton Cheder preschool. It's not complete Montessori but does use a lot of that philosophy. Maybe they would be willing to share some ideas with you.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:03 pm
Is this connected to the Montessori program at BYBP developed by TR?

Freidel1

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:51 am
Thanks you for your suggestion.

Freidel1

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:56 am
Thank you for inquiring. No I am not affiliated with Bais Yaakov. Our program will be a little smaller and offer the children lots of attention and guidance with an experienced Morah who has Montessori training and helped develop the Yiddishe curriculum. Miri

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 10:10 am
Frieda Givon wrote:
Thank you for inquiring. No I am not affiliated with Bais Yaakov. Our program will be a little smaller and offer the children lots of attention and guidance with an experienced Morah who has Montessori training and helped develop the Yiddishe curriculum. Miri
Thanks. I was just wondering if TR was involved. Good luck

skymile

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 10:49 am
I'm from the bp area with a 3 year old. she's currently enrolled in bybp. here are my questions:

you probably want a pm regarding tuition, right?

do you offer any HeadStart programs at all (I have that now and love the price Wink)

what languages are spoken?

how many kids per classroom?

how many morah's per classroom?

where are you located?

do you offer transportation?

what are your hours?

feel free to pm me with the answers to these questions but I feel more moms will want this info.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:18 am
Nice! we have 3 Jewish Montessori in Paris (a MO, a JPF, a Chabad) and I think one in the South (lite MO but more yeshivish teachers).

Freidel1

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 9:24 pm
Thanks for your inquiry.
Our program will have BE"H up 12 children with a remarkable and nurturing creative and experienced Montessori trained Morah, assistant and me as the coordinator (MS in Early childhood Education and 25 years of Montessori experience) Some of you moms might remember me as their instructor at Touro College in the Education dept. We spent many hours designing materials for preschoolers during our classes.
The Morah is Yiddish and English speaking from the BP community. Transportation is being offered presently from the Flatbush area. Our focus is to keep the program small and nurturing with quality guidance and attention as well as challenge their curious young minds. The hours will be from 8:45 to 2:45. Tuition will be discussed with individual parents when they set up an appointment to view our quality program. If any moms are interested I will be glad to send you a brochure. Miri

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 5:03 pm
Will you be having an after-school program for children that are in other schools that can come to your program after school?

Freidel1

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 8:44 pm
Thank you for your interest in our program however in order to gain the full benefits of this "shita" of learning it is recommended that the child attend consistently. If we find a serious interest from a number of parents we might introduce a Sunday program BE"H. Kol Tuv
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics