Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How do you dress your DH for work?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:14 pm
I know it's an odd title but wasn't quite sure how to phrase it...
My husband will hopefully be getting a new job soon, in the business field, and let's just say... He doesn't know how to dress. He's an amazing guy with no sense of what he should look like going out. Up until now his workplace has been a more casual environment and what he wore was appropriate. Now he needs to start dressing nicer, as in dress slacks/dress shirts/ tie to match. Not to mention all the interviews he'll be going on. We have Bli Ayin Harah a nice size family, I work(outside the home) full time too, and I just don't have the time to stand there ironing shirts and pressing pants for him.
Basically I need some "tricks of the trade" for men who need to look good but don't have the time to spend on it. Is there such a thing? We already get the Kirkland non iron dress shirts, but wondering what people do about pants? Does everyone send evening to the cleaners? I'm assuming that world rack up a huge bill?
Thanks!
Anonymous because I've been asking around...

granolamom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:20 pm
I dont dress my dh, but I hear what you are asking.
when my dh has to wear 'nice clothes' to work, they are usually dry clean only pants. shirts, I would iron but my dh is somewhat picky about they way the get pressed so he takes them to the dry cleaners. he takes care of the dry cleaning and I never see the bill which is a good thing. its the cost of doing business I guess.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
I know it's an odd title but wasn't quite sure how to phrase it...
My husband will hopefully be getting a new job soon, in the business field, and let's just say... He doesn't know how to dress. He's an amazing guy with no sense of what he should look like going out. Up until now his workplace has been a more casual environment and what he wore was appropriate. Now he needs to start dressing nicer, as in dress slacks/dress shirts/ tie to match. Not to mention all the interviews he'll be going on. We have Bli Ayin Harah a nice size family, I work(outside the home) full time too, and I just don't have the time to stand there ironing shirts and pressing pants for him.
Basically I need some "tricks of the trade" for men who need to look good but don't have the time to spend on it. Is there such a thing? We already get the Kirkland non iron dress shirts, but wondering what people do about pants? Does everyone send evening to the cleaners? I'm assuming that world rack up a huge bill?
Thanks!
Anonymous because I've been asking around...
Dress pants do need to go to the cleaners. But the good news is they don't have to be dry cleaned all that often if they are dark colors. It doesn't end up costing that much. Also, see if you can find a Chinese cleaners nearby as the pricing is usually much better.

proudmother1

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:26 pm
Shirts are the biggest problem, but you seem to have figured that out already.
Pants don't have to be cleaned after every wear. And usually, if he hangs them up when he takes them off, they should be fine for a while. Then you sent to the cleaners.
Even if you have to touch it up a bit, its not as labor intensive as pressing shirts.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:40 pm
My dh is an adult, and if he chooses to go to work in wrinkled shirts, which he does, that's his problem, not mine. He also goes to shul and often to simchas in wrinkled shirts, believing that his jacket covers up the shirt and after dancing the shirt will be all creased anyway. he little realizes or cares that even in a jacket, part of the shirt front shows, and a shirt that's been ironed and creased looks very different from a shirt that's not been ironed. It bothers me, but I stay away from his wardrobe decisions. I'm not his mom or his maid, I also work FT outside the home, and nobody irons my clothes for me.

There are permanent press slacks the way there are permanent press shirts. heat-drying them usually releases the creases and they look fine. Wool slacks need dry-cleaning anyway, but you can extend the period between cleanings by hanging them in the bathroom when someone takes a hot shower. The steam will release the wrinkles. There are also pants stretchers on which you stretch damp slacks and hang them up so they dry wrinkle-free.

Make things easy on your dh and buy him a no-fail wardrobe of 2-3 basic colors that all work together. let's say slacks in black, grey and navy blue, shirts in white, light blue, and pale grey, patterned ties in the same color families, so he can pretty much grab any shirt, slacks and tie and look normal. For variety you can get some striped shirts and solid ties, and teach him that either the shirt or the tie can have a pattern but not both. He may look like an overgrown prep school boy in those colors, but then they design prep school uniforms to make the boys look like miniature Republicans, so that's all right.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:47 pm
a few dark suits, lots of white shirts, ties, nice shoes ... yes, we send most things that he wears to the cleaners ...lets see ...last week we sent 3 pairs of pants and 10 shirts ... I think it was around $15. That's not too bad.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:
My dh is an adult, and if he chooses to go to work in wrinkled shirts, which he does, that's his problem, not mine. He also goes to shul and often to simchas in wrinkled shirts, believing that his jacket covers up the shirt and after dancing the shirt will be all creased anyway. he little realizes or cares that even in a jacket, part of the shirt front shows, and a shirt that's been ironed and creased looks very different from a shirt that's not been ironed. It bothers me, but I stay away from his wardrobe decisions. I'm not his mom or his maid, I also work FT outside the home, and nobody irons my clothes for me.

There are permanent press slacks the way there are permanent press shirts. heat-drying them usually releases the creases and they look fine. Wool slacks need dry-cleaning anyway, but you can extend the period between cleanings by hanging them in the bathroom when someone takes a hot shower. The steam will release the wrinkles. There are also pants stretchers on which you stretch damp slacks and hang them up so they dry wrinkle-free.

Make things easy on your dh and buy him a no-fail wardrobe of 2-3 basic colors that all work together. let's say slacks in black, grey and navy blue, shirts in white, light blue, and pale grey, patterned ties in the same color families, so he can pretty much grab any shirt, slacks and tie and look normal. For variety you can get some striped shirts and solid ties, and teach him that either the shirt or the tie can have a pattern but not both. He may look like an overgrown prep school boy in those colors, but then they design prep school uniforms to make the boys look like miniature Republicans, so that's all right.

I'm laughing because your situation sounds a lot similar to mine regarding my husband's view on dressing
what you have just said here sounds exactly like the way I talk to my husband but I see his lack of dressing properly as possibly impeding him getting a new job because appearance does matter
I've said it to him 1 million times and I guess it's like when a mechanic talks to me in certain ways....
You've given me a good few suggestions thanks

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:53 pm
So I'm seeing the common denominator of dress pants needing to go to the cleaners when they need to be cleaned
I guess the trick is having my husband keep his pants clean throughout the week and having him hang up his pants every night...
Ha! If he thought I already sounding like a broken record player...

sneakermom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:13 pm
Iron free dress shirts!!

They changed my life. No more ironing no more cleaners. You can buy them at landsend, jose a bank and many other men stores and they often have sales.

I think my husband found pretty decent black slacks wool at landsend. You can wash them in the machine and send in to the cleaners as needed for pressing.

Zappos has nice dress shoes. You can often find on sale.

proudmother1

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 9:17 am
amother wrote:

Nobody WANTS to wear wrinkled clothes. He just isn't motivated enough to take care of this, like many men. I understand that you are overwhelmed yourself. But call a spade a spade. Don't make him look like a careless slob for it.

Don't waste your time bashing me with feminist views. I cut the lawn, and my husband washes the dishes. Because it works for us, and it's nobody's business. This is not about that.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 10:59 am
Wrinkle free dress shirt, like someone else mentioned. They're amazing. Buy him a basic mix n match wardrobe with no crazy colors or anything and he'll be fine.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:04 am
DH has washable slacks. I hang them to dry and they look great if I do a low spin

Pita

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:14 am
My DH knows how to get dressed all by himself!

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:16 am
Pita wrote:

This. And he buys his own clothes.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:24 am
and sometimes he buys mine

proudmother1

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 12:19 pm
Pita wrote:

That is awesome!
Can he also iron his own shirts?

Pita

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 12:29 pm
proudmother1 wrote:
That is awesome!
Can he also iron his own shirts?

No, but he takes them to the cleaners himself. He takes my stuff, too.

proudmother1

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 12:34 pm
Pita wrote:
No, but he takes them to the cleaners himself. He takes my stuff, too.

And what are you trying to tell OP? That her husband is a good-for-nothing? I'm sure that he does things that yours doesn't. She didn't come here for this.

I haven't been around these boards for long, but the longer I stay, the more disgusted I get.

Peanut2

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:22 pm
My DH has pants that I wash and out in the dryer. They're just plain black pants, he wears them with a shirt and jacket to work. Bought them at Macy's, I think. Easy care everything!

Pita

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:27 pm
I was seriously joking, but see I offended some people. I am truly sorry. I love DH dearly but do not claim he is an angel or more capable than others. I just thought the phrasing was funny, but I should have chuckled to myself and let people with actual helpful advice post responses.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics