Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How do you dress your DH for work?
Previous  1  2

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:27 pm
my husband works at a place that allows "work casual" stuff

usually that means- clean shaven, hair trimmed, dress pants (no jeans), polo shirt or button down shirt.

when he has to dress nicer to meet a client or when he was doing interviews he just wore a suit and tie. easy peasy.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:42 pm
proudmother1 wrote:
That is awesome!
Can he also iron his own shirts?

Yes, my dh irons all his shirts. And they all need ironing. He does a great job.
Nobody else in my household wears clothes that require ironing on a daily basis. Only him. Ironing is his job.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:47 pm
Now that I've read more of the thread, I see there's some sort of tension here and people taking offense that some are suggesting the op's husband doesn't do enough.
Not my intention to get involved in that at all. But the question WAS 'how do you dress your dh for work', and so my reply is that he chooses his clothes by himself, and irons by himself.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:
I know it's an odd title but wasn't quite sure how to phrase it...
My husband will hopefully be getting a new job soon, in the business field, and let's just say... He doesn't know how to dress. He's an amazing guy with no sense of what he should look like going out. Up until now his workplace has been a more casual environment and what he wore was appropriate. Now he needs to start dressing nicer, as in dress slacks/dress shirts/ tie to match. Not to mention all the interviews he'll be going on. We have Bli Ayin Harah a nice size family, I work(outside the home) full time too, and I just don't have the time to stand there ironing shirts and pressing pants for him.
Basically I need some "tricks of the trade" for men who need to look good but don't have the time to spend on it. Is there such a thing? We already get the Kirkland non iron dress shirts, but wondering what people do about pants? Does everyone send evening to the cleaners? I'm assuming that world rack up a huge bill?
Thanks!
Anonymous because I've been asking around...

I haven't read through te thread yet so I don't know if it's still on topic, but my husband wears brooks brothers non iron shirts (not white) and washable, non wrinkle pants. I don't have the time or energy to iron constantly, and my bank account can't afford all that dry clean only clothing.

abaker

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 3:21 pm
dh wears a button down shirt....sometimes non iron...but for the ones that arent non iron...I just hang them up right after washing and sort of straighten them out/button them up....they dry on the hanger and dont need to be ironed...if something does need to be ironed my husband usually does that. (he will do like 10 at a time so he doesnt have to schlep out the iron on a daily basis..maybe ironing a bunch all at once would work for you OP?) pants are all machine washable...dockers or similar brand...dry clean only pants are just for weddings or other special occasions.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 8:39 pm
Iymnok wrote:
DH has washable slacks. I hang them to dry and they look great if I do a low spin

Where do you get them? Which company?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 8:48 pm
proudmother1 wrote:
And what are you trying to tell OP? That her husband is a good-for-nothing? I'm sure that he does things that yours doesn't. She didn't come here for this.

I haven't been around these boards for long, but the longer I stay, the more disgusted I get.

Op here, thank you proud mother,
I felt offended at first but realized they don't know my husband at all, so I'm not offended.
He's an amazing guy and I feel so lucky to have such a sweet, carrying, devoted husband and father to my children. Everyone's got their own package to deal with, and yes, he's an adult, but for some reason he just "doesn't get it" when it comes to knowing how to dress. Kind of the same way I don't get how he handles which credit card to pay when... So I'm trying to make things easier for us so I don't have to get frustrated over his choice of clothing, he doesn't get frustrated that I'm frustrated,...I just didn't know where to start.
I just daven he gets a job really soon that his clothes are our main problem!

Back to business: where do I buy machine washable dress pants, and do they really stay nice looking?

GoldFlowers

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:12 pm
I disagree with the previous posts. The wrinkle free shirts and pants don't have the same sharp look like the shirts that come back from the cleaners. If you can afford it, I strongly recommend dry cleaned shirts for his interviews, or at least to iron the shirts.

I definitely WOULDN'T suggest that he wear something twice. No matter how well a shirt or pants airs out, there's still a certain odor that can be noticed in a small interview room and would be majorly off-putting.

Once he gets a job, it's a completely different story. Most professional workplaces these days are business casual and wrinkle free shirts would be perfect for that. Even if he's required to dress business professional, such as if he is in a client facing position, the wrinkle free clothes should still work. Or hopefully, he'll be making enough that you can easily afford to send his clothes to the cleaners each week LOL

abaker

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 1:01 pm
abaker wrote:
dh wears a button down shirt....sometimes non iron...but for the ones that arent non iron...I just hang them up right after washing and sort of straighten them out/button them up....they dry on the hanger and dont need to be ironed...if something does need to be ironed my husband usually does that. (he will do like 10 at a time so he doesnt have to schlep out the iron on a daily basis..maybe ironing a bunch all at once would work for you OP?) pants are all machine washable...dockers or similar brand...dry clean only pants are just for weddings or other special occasions.

why did I get a *hug* for this? whatever Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:23 pm
abaker wrote:
why did I get a *hug* for this? whatever Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

When reading on your phone, it's really easy to click the hug and like buttons. Doesn't mean anything...

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 3:33 am
I didn't think the comments were offensive, just funny, because the title made that answer instantly pop into my head, too.

It's just like anything else, to me. My mother helps my father pack for business trips because he's not good at it. I never help my husband pack. On the other hand, I proofread my husband's business emails because his spelling and grammar are atrocious. (Anon because of that last fact) If he didn't look business-appropriate on his own, I'd certainly "dress" him.

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 3:42 am
OMGosh, the very title suggests that OP has a sense of humor and nobody was wrong to joke back.

You newbies need to get a sense of humor and lighten up. But it's a normal newbie problem, so don't worry.

There are plenty of serious threads on imamother, but usually threads in the 'shopping' dept are not so serious.

esther09

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 6:29 am
My DH irons his own shirts, as well. Is that SO crazy?

He wears button down shirts and a tie, and nice slacks. He dresses himself though...

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 7:15 am
esther09 wrote:
My DH irons his own shirts, as well. Is that SO crazy?

He wears button down shirts and a tie, and nice slacks. He dresses himself though...

Not crazy at all. It's about who's more into that kind of thing. My DH likes to choose his clothes and he is the one who does the ironing for the family. But usually we just buy iron-free clothing. I do have one son who would go out in public with wrinkled (mismatched) clothing, however, so he will need a wife who dresses him and irons for him.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics