Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Frozen food from the store that tastes good?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:23 pm
Life is a bit chaotic right now, so I've been buying some frozen foods for lunches. Today I was surprised to find that the Mendelsohn's eggplant parmesan I bought was actually pretty good! I had never had frozen food that tasted good. So, now I'm wondering, what other frozen ready to eat foods out there do you recommend? Fat content and nutrition are not an issue (I'm stress eating and okay with it for now), the only consideration is taste. Thanks!

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:26 pm
I really like Tabachnik soups. The Tuscany Lentil one is really good and with some bread makes a hearty meal!

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:41 pm
I definitely fall back on frozen foods at times, so I aim for relatively healthy. We like amnon's falafel balls (better fried, but also good baked) and Dr praegers fish sticks. The mendelsohns whole wheat mini pizzas are good too.

Lizajen

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:45 pm
My family likes falafel balls, pizza, pizza bagels, pizza snaps, knishes, hot pretzels and melt cheese ontop.

little_mage

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:46 pm
It's not frozen, but DH and I love the Tasty Bite Indian meals. They're microwavable in their pouch. Not everyone will accept the certification, but they're good if you do (and like Indian food, I suppose). Still, it sounds like the kind of thing you might be looking for.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:12 pm
The Mendelsohn's frozen baked ziti is also very good (and fattening, but you said that doesn't matter).

Simple1

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:20 pm
Kinishes
Dagim Shlishkes
Frozen pizza tastes good when you throw on some chopped veggies before baking (pepper onion and tomato).

the chevrah

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 4:48 pm
Meal Mart buffalo wings mild or spicy. Delicious grilled or just throw them into a baking pan and into the oven.

mille

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 4:55 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
I really like Tabachnik soups. The Tuscany Lentil one is really good and with some bread makes a hearty meal!

I love these soups! They have a lot of varieties, and at least around here they are quite cheap when on sale!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 5:47 pm
amother wrote:
Life is a bit chaotic right now, so I've been buying some frozen foods for lunches. Today I was surprised to find that the Mendelsohn's eggplant parmesan I bought was actually pretty good! I had never had frozen food that tasted good. So, now I'm wondering, what other frozen ready to eat foods out there do you recommend? Fat content and nutrition are not an issue (I'm stress eating and okay with it for now), the only consideration is taste. Thanks!

Mendelsohn's lasagna, baked ziti, eggplant parm
Amnons pizza
Cavendish shoestring French fries
Noam onion rings
McCain sweet potato fries
Meal mart chicken nuggets
Dagim breaded tilapia
Tabachnik soups
Meal mart shlishkes
Meal mart / mon cuisine frozen dinners (meat dishes better than chicken)

monseychick

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 7:16 pm
Another vote for Tabatchnik. Cellentano has some parve items with OU thats great

Chef Marino manicotti and ziti .

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:16 pm
Thanks everyone! It's like a whole new world I never knew existed. I look forward to experimenting with what you suggested!

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 1:19 am
And, you don't have to eat it the way they give it to you.

Develop your spice collection and throw some on when you heat it up. Don't be shy.

checkbefore

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 1:51 am
My favorite section at the supermarket is the frozen one!

syrima

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 11:26 am
Hanover baby carrots or snap peas - they microwave right in the bag in 5 minutes and my kids actually eat them.

proudmother1

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 11:40 am
Not sure if you are up to it, but you can prepare frozen meals yourself. Cook up a large batch of soup...or anything else you like, and freeze in small portions. Or just make some more at dinner. Whatever works for you.
That way its to your taste, budget, etc.
I grew up knowing that frozen chicken and maybe bread occasionally belonged in a household freezer.
My husband opened my eyes to the freezer world.
Once I warmed up to the idea, I learned that mostly everything (except potatoes that aren't mashed) freeze relatively well, if packaged tightly.
It made my life so much easier. Just try to label and organize your food a bit.

naomi2

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 8:01 pm
kosherific fish sticks
kineret mini latkes
franks n blanks

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 8:02 pm
I almost forgot about New York hot pretzels.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics