Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Spinoff of changing linen - changing towels
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 6:13 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Towels go into a separate load, or they can cause pimpling on your clothes.

Really? I'll add that to a list of things my mother never told me.

I do often do a towel load, but I have a really big machine and it doesn't like washing too small loads. Today a kid wet a bed, so I put the duvet in the wash. I added in some towels to fill up the load. I don't care if the duvet gets pimply since its covered anyway.

Now I know I'll try not to do that.

I have a ton of tea towels/kitchen towels whatever you call them. The checkered type for drying dishes. They get used a lot in my kitchen for cleanup. I thrown them in the wash at the end of the day. I was wondering why however many I buy, I still run out at the end of the week. Then my guest over yom tov noticed my cleaning lady was throwing one out. Rolling Eyes

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 6:28 pm
DrMom wrote:
I don't wash bath towels that often. Maybe 2x/week for bath towels.

Laundering towels consumes *a lot* of water (a precious resource here in E"Y) and takes up lots of room in our small Israeli dryer.

Besides, they are used only when we come out of the shower and we are all clean.

Kitchen towels are changed *at least* once/day. More during vacation times when we are in the house more often. We have tons of kitchen towels.

Where do you dry them off? Do you use a rack? I can't imagine where all these drying towels go.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 6:30 pm
Squishy wrote:
Where do you dry them off? Do you use a rack? I can't imagine where all these drying towels go.

Have you ever been to Israel? Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 6:38 pm
Bath towels and mats 2-3 x a week (somehow it end so being 2x for kid towels and 3x for adult towels and mats). Hand towels daily. Dish towels every other day.

mille

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 8:05 pm
We change bath towels when they smell. I dunno, maybe once a week? We shower every day. Usually they smell quicker if we leave them crumpled wet on the floor Tongue Out We have something like 12 towels between the two of us (no kids). I do towel laundry when we are down to like 4 clean towels, or sooner if some towels get really funky. Kitchen towels, um, as needed? Obviously that can mean anywhere from 4 in one day to the same one for weeks depending on what its used for.

Simple1

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 8:58 pm
We change all towels as needed - as soon as they get yucky, damp or smelly. That could be couple days to a week.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:31 pm
Raisin wrote:
Really? I'll add that to a list of things my mother never told me.

I do often do a towel load, but I have a really big machine and it doesn't like washing too small loads. Today a kid wet a bed, so I put the duvet in the wash. I added in some towels to fill up the load. I don't care if the duvet gets pimply since its covered anyway.

Now I know I'll try not to do that.

I have a ton of tea towels/kitchen towels whatever you call them. The checkered type for drying dishes. They get used a lot in my kitchen for cleanup. I thrown them in the wash at the end of the day. I was wondering why however many I buy, I still run out at the end of the week. Then my guest over yom tov noticed my cleaning lady was throwing one out. Rolling Eyes

It's possible that the European washing machines are different (better) than the US, so US laundry tips might not apply.

That's what my English cousins say, anyway.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 12:10 am
amother wrote:
I'm going to shock everyone now. Very Happy

My and dh's bath towels get changed once a month or so. But we only take showers once or twice a week. Kids' bath towels get changed every couple of weeks. They take 2-3 baths a week - and they share towels!!

Kitchen towels get changed once a week. More often if they get really gross or dh uses them to wipe spills on the floor. Dish towels once a week also, although I rarely use them so theoretically they could last longer.

Yuck.
I wouldn't want to be at your house.
Now I know why some ppl don't understand my mountains of laundry.

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 2:23 am
We have tons of towels. I buy them whenever I see some for cheap.

I try to assign a towel to each person. But they can take a clean one whenever they want.

The kitchen towels get changed often. I try to teach everyone to only use them after you wash your hands. Who wipes dirty hands on a towel??! Wash them first!

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 2:26 am
amother wrote:
Yuck.
What a way to judge.

I dont understand the changing bathing towels so often. When you ar drying your body from a bath or shower, your body is clean. Why the need to change the towels so often.

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 3:51 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What a way to judge.

I dont understand the changing bathing towels so often. When you ar drying your body from a bath or shower, your body is clean. Why the need to change the towels so often.

Not allowed to insult using amother, also.

It was kind of shocking, but the poster warned us it would be.

I think not taking showers often is a sign of self-neglect. Some personalities are more prone to self-neglect and need prodding to take care of themselves. Depressed people, also.

Not changing the towels, well, if you only use them twice a week, I suppose it makes sense to not need to change them but once a month.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:59 am
Everyone here has their own towel. It's gross to share. What a great way to spread germs and things like warts or rashes.

We change our bath towels every two or three days (shower daily or more). Kitchen towels I change every day or two - there are usually 3-5 in the kitchen at any one time. I try to change bathroom towels daily, especially as some of the kids dry their faces on them too.

We do have lots of towels.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 5:27 am
Squishy wrote:

People use racks in the living room, bedrooms...

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 5:32 am
Ruchel wrote:
People use racks in the living room, bedrooms...

My kids have to take their towels back to their bedrooms. They hang them on the end of their beds. The only problem is when they forget to take their towels with them and don't remember until after they're done showering.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 5:38 am
Stuff that comes from the laundry machine goes on there to dry

Some are much taller

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 8:55 am
amother wrote:
Yuck.

I'm sorry I only seem to have managed to shock two people. LOL

Barbara - You are so descriptive. Yes, that's how it works in our house. Except I don't have daughters, does that make it a bit better?

chani8 - I don't think I neglect myself. Where I live, it's considered unhealthy to shower so often. During the summer when I'm hot and sweaty I shower more often - sometimes even twice a day. Otherwise, what for? I don't smell.

Tablepoetry - my kids don't have rashes, warts or anything of that sort. In addition, ba"h they are very healthy. In ten years, I have given my kids antibiotics maybe twice. In addition, none of them have allergies, b"h.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 9:15 am
Americans won't understand, amother.

Btw the clean freakery (sp??) makes allergies out of control.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 9:20 am
Yes, that's why I mentioned the bit about my kids having no allergies.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 9:36 am
anon because... well- I wash my bath towel about once a year. I have a very big, thick one. I'm always clean when I use it and I hang it on the back of the bathroom door spread over a few hooks. It never gets that mildewy smell. My kid's towels I wash a lot. They always leave them in a heap on the floor so they get washed often cause they need it.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 10:56 am
A few questions from a household maintenance clueless amother:

- I'm wondering, when people say that each member in the family has their own towel what does that mean? and how does that work practically?
everyone's is like a totally differnt color/design? Then they don't match, do you not care about the matching?

- Also- where do you guys keep your towels in between showers/baths? (those who don't wash them after each use?) Do you have enough hooks in your bathroom? do the kids hang them in their room?
I never know what to do about this because we dont' really have hooks in our bathroom so the kids hang them over the shower but I hate how that looks. And mine and dhs also are over our shower (thank g-d for 2 bathrooms) but I also hate how it looks. help!!

also, I don't realy have a good place to hang a hand towel in my bathroom. So we end up using the shower towels which are hanging over the shower, to dry our hands.. I knwo this is bad but what do you all do?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics