Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
The mystery of the torn shirt by the elbow...
1  2  Next

noosheen

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 8:38 am
This is crazy. Has been going on for months now. can't seem to find the answer...

About 6 months ago I noticed a tear in my dh's shirt on the elbow. On the left side. We thought ok, it's an old shirt and sometimes that happens (even though it never happened b4). Then I noticed it on another shirt. And another! Same place every time. Only his shirts. Checked the washing machine if something is sharp there. But even if there was something sharp sticking out, why would it only happen to the left elbow on his shirts?????

We've thought of EVERYTHING! It seemed to have gotten better over the past month or so, but today I noticed a rip on a fairly new shirt! Exact same place again! He is down to 3 shirts and they are brand new and I am scared to wash them!

We are mystified!!! Any suggestions? Help

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 8:59 am
Are you sure it's from washing? My immediate thought was that it's something to do with how he wears his tefillin...

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:11 am
My shirts always used to tear by the elbow from sitting at a desk in school all day.
My elbows were always on the desk and caused to shirt to rub out and tear.

There may also be some splintery wood or loose screw on his desk.

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:12 am
Oops, just noticed its DH and not DS.

Does he sit at a desk At work or Kollel?

little_mage

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:33 am
My husband has had this problem. Does he wear a jacket? If so, is there something sharp there? I suspect he's getting it caught on something that he's walking past.

acemom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:43 am
Is he a lefty? Most obvious reason to me is the Tefillin. He probably doesnt roll up his shirt when he puts them on and the sleeve isn't loose enough to fit the Tefillin.

Can you ask him if that is the case?

mommyla

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:54 am
It's obviously not your washing machine, or it wouldn't just be happening to his left shirt sleeves! Tell him to pay attention to where he puts his elbows - his desk chair arm may be abrasive, he may brush up against something sharp sticking out of a wall in his office, he may spend a lot of time leaning on his elbow (when he's thinking or talking or in a meeting or whatever). Check his closet to see if there's anything sticking out of the wall where his shirts hang.

Kitten

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:03 am
I don't think it's Tefilin. DH has this problem with his right elbow. He is right-handed. I guess it's just regular wear and tear.

supty

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:43 am
Omg my dh had this too a little while back!! It was like 5 shirts and hasn't happened again since. We assumed it was from the dry cleaners but we never actually solved this mystery... Please follow up if you figure it out- would love to know! And I don't think it's wear and tear cuz a couple of the shirts were pretty new.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:44 am
Yes. I vote for the arm of a desk chair he works in. There may be a tiny protrusion there. Or possibly the arm of your dining room chair. Run your hand over it. You can't see these things.

Mend the shirts. Maybe you don't have to throw them out. He wears a jacket, and even if not, nobody looks there. If you feel funny about that, have the tailor do it.

noosheen

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:49 am
We thought of all of the above ideas! ie his jacket, his work station at work.

He is a righty, so not his tefillin.

We are baffled! What

mommyla

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:49 am
Did you check the closet?

noosheen

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 3:46 pm
The closet? why the closet? they really just hang there. and the closet holds ALL his clothes.

Maybe it IS a little protrusion at his work station from his job, what dolly suggested.

I'm going to insist he looks over that area with a fine tooth comb.

thank you all for your suggestions!

mommyla

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 4:07 pm
Sure they just hang there, but there may be something sharp in the area where his shirts hang and the sleeve gets snagged when he takes out a shirt.

Also, did you check the hamper? My DH has an annoying habit of leaving sleeves and pants legs hanging out over the hamper so that they stick out when the lid is closed. Maybe there's something there?

Good luck!

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 4:34 pm
noosheen wrote:

We are baffled! What

Dont right handed people wear tefillin on the left hand?

penguin

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 5:40 pm
If he were a lefty, I'd say it's the arm he uses to move the mouse.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 5:46 pm
Does he drive? The left arm rubs up against the window/door of the car. May something is protruding there?

rachel91

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 5:54 pm
I had the same thing, and this has to do with the washing, I had it when I used a different washing powder.
But I'm not entirely sure, it has to do with the washing powder, but definitely something washing- related.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 6:11 pm
perhaps he has a case of an itchy elbow and scratches to the point of making a hole ... check his elbow & if so perhaps some medicated ointment will solve the issue

of course I'm just thinking aloud

acemom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 7:50 pm
Quote:

We are baffled! What

If he is a righty, he would put the Tefillin on his left arm...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry