Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Getting Dressed

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:58 am
What would you expect a just turned 3yo be able to do to get dressed in the morning?

Until now we have been getting him dressed because we are rushed in the am and dont have time to let him get himself dressed. And I was also getting him dressed on weekends because I didnt need him to decide on a tuesday morning that he wanted to get himself dressed like he did on shabbos/sunday and mess up my morning routine.

anyway his teacher mentioned that he should be getting himself dressed.

what should I expect him to be able to do? what not (like I assume buttons are beyond him)

how should I show him how to get dressed?

for now I think we will teach him by bedtime (get undressed and into PJs) and on weekends. once I feel that he can do it... well I will have to change my routine.

any tips of how to teach him, when to help etc?

TY so much!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 1:40 pm
Bump.

What should I expect him to be able or not be able to do?

Any tips for how to teach/show him how to dress himself?

he can do underpants and pants when I lay it out for him as long as he doesnt get distracted and end up twisting them up so both feet go in the same hole or something.

thanks!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 1:50 pm
If he can do his own underpants and pants that's good!

I think a shirt is too hard at this age. But he can do his tzitzis.

He should be able to do his socks. Possibly also his shoes but that depends on the type. Some are easier to slip the foot in while others need to be pushed in. My son has easy shoes and he can put his feet in most of the time. Also it's velcro so he can close that himself easily.

morah

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 1:54 pm
He should be able to do pants and shirt, but will need your help to make sure it's not backwards. Socks can be a little tricky. Shoes with velcro (not laces) he should be able to do too- though also with your help to make sure they go on the correct feet. He should be able to pull up a zipper if you start it. Honestly, I think we're all sometimes guilty of doing it for them in order to move faster. If your weekday mornings are hectic, maybe have him dress himself on weekends till he gets the hang of it. Though be warned, once he figures out the power of dawdling on a weekday, he will probably choose to exercise it (if anyone has any advice on dealing with that, please let me know...)

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 1:55 pm
thank you.

so his morah mentioned his socks in particular, but even dh has a hard time getting on DS's socks. (maybe they are to tight? dont think so tho he doesnt have lines or stuff on his leg) but you have to bunch up to the toe and then pull up else they get stuck. shoes are velcro that he can open and take off- but there is a tongue that you have to keep out of the way- should a 3yo be able to manage that?

and what about taking off shirts? he had a very hard time last night when we tried having him take off his shirt. I had to help him (tho he prob did about half of it vs me usually doing it all)

thanks again!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 2:00 pm
morah wrote:
He should be able to do pants and shirt, but will need your help to make sure it's not backwards. Socks can be a little tricky. Shoes with velcro (not laces) he should be able to do too- though also with your help to make sure they go on the correct feet. He should be able to pull up a zipper if you start it. Honestly, I think we're all sometimes guilty of doing it for them in order to move faster. If your weekday mornings are hectic, maybe have him dress himself on weekends till he gets the hang of it. Though be warned, once he figures out the power of dawdling on a weekday, he will probably choose to exercise it (if anyone has any advice on dealing with that, please let me know...)

yeah thats kinda why I didnt even really bother having him try on weekends. Once he learns to do something himself he will always want to do it himself....

zippers he has done on his jacket. ok so hes not terribly behind. but we will be working on it now I guess. Very Happy

what I was a little Rolling Eyes at his morah was that she said maybe he needs OT- but right after I said we never let him try cause I have limited time.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 2:08 pm
Developmentally, he should be able to put on and take off all articles of clothing. Obviously if it's a new skill for him it will take practice. Some socks are tighter than others, regular socks he should be able to do. Velcro shoes with a tongue he should be able to do independently. The ability to open and close fasteners is still developing, so you can start teaching him but don't expect it.

morah

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 2:17 pm
Mine has trouble with socks, he always gets his toes stuck. He can remove all articles of clothing (that, he figured out how to do a year ago). You do need to open up the sneaker for him, but he should be able to take it from there- just make sure he has them on the right feet.
Just in general, sometimes we gotta suck it up and deal with the learning stage. Just like we had to let them feed themselves with a fork or drink from an open cup, or go bottomless for a few days even though we knew it would make more work for us in the short term, but these things are learned by doing so we gotta let them make the mess and figure it out. Again, I am far from perfect here and there are definitely mornings where I dress him myself because he's driving me nuts with dawdling, but in theory, yes, the average three y/o should dress himself with some guidance.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 4:44 pm
My daughter can do her own underwear, skirt, socks, and shoes, but not tights or shirts. I am in a rush in the mornings so I usually get her dressed, but if she asks to do something, I let her unless I'm really late. In the evenings, I have more time so I let her do what she wants herself. I think the shirt may still be difficult at this age, but the rest of the stuff they should be able to do.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 12:29 pm
thanks everyone for all your advice! after 3 days of dressing/undressing himself he can do just about everything as long as we lay out his clothes the right way! Has a little trouble getting his second arm into the sleeve of his undershirt and pull over shirts (we have to help him pull it down so he can find the hole) and he can do some socks (the looser ones) but not others (the ones even dh has a hard time getting onto him).

Def doesnt need OT for this Rolling Eyes . We will now tell him (on weekdays) that if he is not dressed by a certain time then we will get him dressed, otherwise he can do it himself. Hopefully that will help with our morning routine when we are rushed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers