Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Are there rabannim who hold it's assur to have a smartphone?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 11:51 am
I'm not asking what your opinion is on the matter (I don't either agree)..I'm asking if you know of gedolim/rabanim who hold it's assur?

someone told me that it is assur to have because the Rabbis/gedolim paskened that. but I said the rabbanim just say you have to be careful, have a filter, etc.. not that you cannot have one at all. Am I wrong?

If so can you please tell me names.

And also- if it's mainly for men or the 'psak' is also for women.

thanks!

black sheep

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 11:57 am
I just googled it and its not assur.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 11:59 am
black sheep wrote:

lol I know it's not assur.

I'm asking if there are rabbis who say you are not allowed to use them. I guess assur was the wrong word. I mean I'm pretty sure the big gedolim in Eretz yisroel don't allow like R' Chaim Kanievsky. But I'm talking about american rabbis.

grace413

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 12:00 pm
http://www.timesofisrael.com/b.....ules/

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 12:04 pm
People attribute all kinds of things to rabbanim when in fact they are inaccurate or blatantly false. So unless you heard it from his mouth, or he published it in his own sefer, I wouldn't believe these things.

Anyway, most of the rabbanim I know own and use smartphones. Even the ones with the long beards and frocks.

2gether

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 12:10 pm
black sheep wrote:

=Rabbi Google

Belzer Rebbe, Rachmistrivka Rebbe and more:
you can only have one if you need it for work,
and then only w/filter,same for both men and women.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 12:23 pm
I dream of a planet where the worst transgressions Jews do are having a smartphone

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 2:36 pm
There are definitely rabbis who hold it's assur. I remember in the last year or so I heard of a rebbe who asked that all his chasidim turn in their phones to him. Here in israel, it's even more common, and we often see flyers up that say the phones are assur.

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
There are definitely rabbis who hold it's assur. I remember in the last year or so I heard of a rebbe who asked that all his chasidim turn in their phones to him. Here in israel, it's even more common, and we often see flyers up that say the phones are assur.

To him? Lol. He's like a teacher addressing kids.

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 3:09 pm
At first we thought it was assur, and then my DH needed one for work so we asked his Rosh Yeshiva. If I remember right, the RY said to ask again and if he really really does need it for work then get a filter.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:

That was the Stoliner Rebbe. He had someone check the phones to ensure they had the proper filters. I think it was Purim time.

blossoming

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 4:10 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I dream of a planet where the worst transgressions Jews do are having a smartphone

which is the world we are living in. having a none filtered smartphone for no reason either than work no matter the gender or age, is the pasageway to the most worst transgression Jews do nowadays.

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 4:15 pm
I would think most charedi rabanim say its assur.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 4:40 pm
Thread title: "Are there rabannim who hold it's assur to have a smartphone?"
My question is: "Are there any rabannim who hold it is Mutar to have a smartphone?"

I don't know about America, but here in Israel the top Chashuv Rabbanim are screaming againts the smartphones and any type of unblocked internet. I even heard one paskind it is even Yichud for a man to be alone with his iphone due to the exposure to endless naked woman and much more beyond. The issur applies to all men, woman and children - you could never trust yourself with such a handy-easy to access device in your pocket. Every healthy human being can be easily swifted away in temptation, no matter how much of a ruchniyus level your at. Of course if one has no choice but needs to have a smart phone ect. to make a living, he must ask a Sheila and work out the best filter that would meet his job's needs.

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 4:45 pm
blossoming wrote:
which is the world we are living in. having a none filtered smartphone for no reason either than work no matter the gender or age, is the pasageway to the most worst transgression Jews do nowadays.

Really?

I've had an unfiltered smartphone for years, and it hasn't told me to kill anyone, commit massive financial fraud, molest children, rape women, install cameras in the mikvah shower, or even have a nice bowl of lobster bisque.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 4:51 pm
amother wrote:
My question is: "Are there any rabannim who hold it is Mutar to have a smartphone?"

I don't know about America, but here in Israel the top Chashuv Rabbanim are screaming againts the smartphones and any type of unblocked internet. I even heard one paskind it is even Yichud for a man to be alone with his iphone due to the exposure to endless naked woman and much more beyond. The issur applies to all men, woman and children - you could never trust yourself with such a handy-easy to access device in your pocket. Every healthy human being can be easily swifted away in temptation, no matter how much of a ruchniyus level your at. Of course if one has no choice but needs to have a smart phone ect. to make a living, he must ask a Sheila and work out the best filter that would meet his job's needs.

Here's my question to you: have you heard any of this screaming yourself, or do you just believe pashkivilim and "so and so heard from so and so"?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 6:12 pm
amother wrote:

and my question is "why is an electrical device something that a rav has to give an ok on?"
Personally I dont ask a rav if I can use xyz.
And to this poster not everyone holds by those rabbanim that you are talking about.
No rav that I know holds that it s wrong. I think any rav that I would ask would look at me funny for asking at all.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 2:37 am
Barbara wrote:
Really?

I've had an unfiltered smartphone for years, and it hasn't told me to kill anyone, commit massive financial fraud, molest children, rape women, install cameras in the mikvah shower, or even have a nice bowl of lobster bisque.

All those thngs you mentioned are very, very rare.
Men seeing naked woman on their phones happen everyday. It's Giluy Arayos, 'ya know.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 2:39 am
amother wrote:
All those thngs you mentioned are very, very rare.
Men seeing naked woman on their phones happen everyday. It's Giluy Arayos, 'ya know.
how is it adultery?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 2:52 am
Quote:
how is it adultery?

Not paskening, I'm not a rav.

I'm just a wife of someone with an internet problem.
It sure feels like it sometimes--certainly it's a betrayal.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics