Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Should I pursue this job opportunity?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 7:45 pm
I need someone to make this decision for me!

Right now I have a decent job with pretty decent job security (they don't have the highest standards and they have a hard time hiring...the one person who was fired while I was working there was warned for over a year and was nice but grossly incompetent...and while there are no guarantees I've never been given reason to think they are unhappy with me--no thanks of course, but also no complaints for the most part, which I take as a good sign).

Anyway, while I can likely stay at this job for years (assuming the facility doesn't close or contract with another company) I don't feel like it will help further my career at all. It's decent pay but no benefits and the worst part is the hour long commute on top of my 12 hour shift (for which I often have to stay late because some of my colleagues don't care about coming on time and no one enforces it and I'm stuck until they come relieve me). Right now my supervisor is great and gives into every single request (there are LOTS of them because I have to work around my husbands schedule and can only work certain days) and I'm not likely to find that elsewhere. The problem is she is leaving and I have no idea if her replacement will be as accommodating. Then again, I'm an independent contractor so there is more flexibility (besides, right now they kind of need me for the short term anyway and in a few months I'll likely be more flexible due to husbands schedule easing up).

The question is this--I was just told about a position locally where I can make my own hours. It is not a field that interests me in particular and quite frankly I'm a bit nervous it can hurt my career. I'd probably get about the same salary with no benefits but I'd save a ton on the commute and the best part is I'd be able to go in when my husband is home so save on daycare and not have a stranger raising my baby and not leaving her for endless stretches of time (when I work two days in a row I don't see her at all during waking hours...I leave while she is sleeping and get back when she is (hopefully) sleeping and leave again before she is up). I'd be able to not go in one day if she is sick and just make up the hours the next day. It's supposed to be an easy job with good back up. Also not necessarily furthering my career but being much easier on me in the meantime. It does mean giving up the job security I have now (may have it there too but no way to know now) and my current job probably looks better on resume

What should I do??

Ashrei

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:41 pm
Just pointing out that even if your current job looks better on resume, any employer in the longer term will understand the reasons as you've explained them for choosing the 'easier' job - you have very good reasons.

I think the schedule with your child is a very compelling reason to switch. Other than this reason, it seems there are pros and cons to either decision, just that the the time with your child might be the one that tips the scale imo.

My vote is to switch.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:47 pm
To be clear I don't have an offer just a lead. It's supposed to be an easy job but can dumb me down. An employer understanding that won't help me relearn lost skill. On the other hand it's a different field and even if it's easy I'll most likely pick up some new skills.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:49 pm
I'm not telling you what you should do, but if I were in your position I would take the new job. (Wait, do you actually have the job or you just know of an opening? )
The reason why is because there is nothing negative about the new job (as far as you know). to me the positives you mentioned seem much greater than the (possible) negatives. Seeing your child, leaving her with dh and not stranger, closer commute.

Job security you really can't know forsure either way. Like you said your company might get a different agency to contract with. Also regarding looking better on resumer, that's also something I wouldn't consider at this point. Right now think of now not the future. I dont' always have this belief but in this case it seems to be the right approach.

hatzlacha!

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:20 pm
New job sounds like it has a lot in its favor. At the very least you can use the time and money you save on commuting to invest in looking for an even better job in your preferred field with better working conditions, but meanwhile you'll be doing something easier and more compatible with your lifestyle.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 1:21 am
amother wrote:
To be clear I don't have an offer just a lead. It's supposed to be an easy job but can dumb me down. An employer understanding that won't help me relearn lost skill. On the other hand it's a different field and even if it's easy I'll most likely pick up some new skills.

I think you can make it more demanding after you get broken in. Maybe you can develop the job once you are in it. Expand it. You might end up running the place in time. You sound bored to tears where you are.

Fox

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 10:30 am
Absolutely no reason not to pursue the job lead. Once you've interviewed and hopefully been extended an offer, you'll have more information on which to base your decision.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics