Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Supper EMERGENCY - Can anyone rescue me QUICK?

debsey

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:36 pm
OK, so I was this SUPER ORGANIZED baalebusta yesterday (pat myself on the back and all LOL ) and I made supper yesterday for today. It was the BY cookbook's pepper steak, which is basically a duck sauce/soy sauce/other stuff combo poured over pepper steak and cut peppers. It's YUM.
Totally forgot that you are supposed to bake at 350 for TWO hours.
Went upstairs 10 minutes ago to pop in the oven and realized - it has to cook for TWO hours and suppertime is in ONE hour.
Any advice? Can I safely raise the cooking temperature in order to lower the cooking time?
So much for my self-congratulations.....new leaves are REALLY hard to turn over. Its' a good thing I was able to throw together a quick salad so at least they won't be starving when they come in!
HELP !
Debsey

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:41 pm
I don't see why it has yo cook for two hours. Pepper steak meat is usually sliced thinly.

penguin

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:43 pm
It depends on the meat. If it's tough, it needs long, slow cooking. Some recipes I find overdo things. For example, I consider chicken done "when the juices run clear". That's around an hour. Some people in my family think chicken needs 2 or 2 1/2 hours!

But, if you have a pressure cooker, that might help!

Last edited by penguin on Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:44 pm
It should be fully cooked in one hour, just not as soft possibly. Don't raise the temp.

boysrus

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:47 pm
can u push supper off a little bit, even by 15 mintues?it could make all the differnece. personally I would turn the oven up by 25 degrees. Enough that it will help it cook a bit faster, but not too much that it will make it tough.

morah

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:50 pm
Purely in terms of safety, pepper steak cooks pretty quickly. It just won't melt in your mouth without the long slow braising. Just serve it in an hour.

debsey

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 5:23 pm
Thanks everyone. I told my kids - it is ready now, it will be more delicious in an hour. All my boys said - great - we want to play outside till it's dark and then eat. Had I said it won't be ready for an hour and you'll have to wait, they'd all be moaning and groaning.......

oliveoil

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 6:25 pm
Cooking it on the stovetop would also make it soft faster.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics