Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
She lost my check. who pays for stopping it?

OMG!

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 7:45 pm
I recently paid someone I owed by check. She got it in mail but lost it. She said I should stop the check. Should I send her a new one and deduct $25 (the amount it costs to stop) or wait a while hoping she might find it.

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 7:48 pm
I would wait it out ...

octopus

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 7:51 pm
I think a lot of it is context.
Is this someone you did business with?
friend?
family?
I think it makes a difference.

proudmother1

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 8:03 pm
octopus wrote:
I think a lot of it is context.
Is this someone you did business with?
friend?
family?
I think it makes a difference.

Agreed. And how much is the check for? Is it worth stopping?

If it was payment for a business transaction or service, and the payee asks you to replace it because she lost it, I think it's fair that she pay for it. Whether you want to deduct/collect is a different story. Depends how she will take it (some people don't understand basic rules of what is fair), and how valuable the relationship is to you.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 8:13 pm
What they said, and also it depends how lost it is. If it's misplaced in their home or office then waiting makes some sense, but if they left it on the bus you'll probably want to cancel it before someone else goes and cashes it...

OMG!

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 8:17 pm
Op here. This is for a respected family member I paid her $200 for a service

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 11:01 pm
I would probably first try to say something like:
Her: Check is lost, can you send another?
You: OK, but my bank charges $25 for cancelling a check. Are you sure you can't find it?
Her: {hopefully either decides to look harder or nicely offers to pay}

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 3:03 am
Once the check was in her hands, it is her responsibility. Leave the decision up to her whether to cancel it now and send another, deducting $25 from the amount, or to wait it out and see if she finds it. No reason at all why you should have to cover the cost of her needing a replacement.

Mommastuff

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 9:30 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
Once the check was in her hands, it is her responsibility. Leave the decision up to her whether to cancel it now and send another, deducting $25 from the amount, or to wait it out and see if she finds it. No reason at all why you should have to cover the cost of her needing a replacement.

this

Smile1234

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 9:42 am
Would you give her new cash if she lost $200 cash that you sent her?
If not, why send her a new check AND pay the stop fee. Makes no sense...

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 9:45 am
If she's a respected family member and it was in her house, and you can see that it wasn't cashed already so no one else has it and has deposited it, I'd say I'll just write you another one and when you find that one just tear it up. I'd trust her not to cash it when she finds it.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 12:33 pm
This is a question of halacha - ask a rav.

tiredmommy

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 2:11 pm
I would think the person who lost the check pays the cost to stop it. However, first call your bank. Sometimes they are nice and will waive the fee if you are a good customer. Try that first and see what happens.

Basya

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 7:16 pm
another vote for double checking with your bank. Had similar situation - when bank heard that it was the recipient that lost the check- they said it falls under their fraud department, and it would be no charge for the stop payment. However, they did try very strongly to convince me to change my whole account number, since a lost check has my account number on it. I didn't switch my account, but got the stop payment free of charge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics