Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
"Affordable" pre-schools in Queens NY

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 4:37 pm
I'm looking into pre-schools in Kew Garden Hills for my two sons. My older one is now in Gan Yaffa. He likes it over there and I think it's a great place for him being the first time at school. But I was thinking of taking him to a place that looks more like a school than like a home for next year since he'll be 4 years old. I've checked Judy's (didn't get in last year and I heard it's difficult to get in). My younger one will be 3 next year and I'd like them to go to the same school next year. So which other schools (besides Yaffa's and Judy's) would you recommend that wouldn't cost more than $800 a month? (It's going to be difficult to pay for both kids).

ange

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 6:19 pm
Positive beginnings has a upk for the 4 year old...1800 per year.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 6:32 pm
edited. not familiar with pre-schools in Queens.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 7:32 pm
Positive beginnings won't help because they don't have a program for 3s. Try Judi's again for both kids because they do try to take kids/families that they said no to in the past and the UPK this yr is $1500. If that doesn't work try Tobi's, Arieli, or Gan Eden. I like Ahavas Yisroel, but they only have 3s. If you don't get UPK, I don't see how you can do only $800/month for 2 kids.

miami85

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 8:24 pm
ange wrote:
Positive beginnings has a upk for the 4 year old...1800 per year.

UPK is free, what is the 1800 for? or is that the extended day/Jewish program?

ange

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 9:32 pm
Yes, extended day for the jewish part I am told.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 10:26 am
OP here
I just checked out positive beginnings website, is it a special ed? It says it's from age 3, so could I also bring in my younger son or is it just a 4 year old program like someone mentioned?

miami85

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
OP here
I just checked out positive beginnings website, is it a special ed? It says it's from age 3, so could I also bring in my younger son or is it just a 4 year old program like someone mentioned?

Positive Beginnings is a Special education preschool with a Jewish Director but they have a full-day UPK program with a Jewish program as "extended day"--which is optional. Regarding the 3 year-old you'd have to check if they take gen-ed 3 year-olds for their integrated classes--but then it would be considered "day care" and you'd be paying accordingly.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 10:49 am
OP here
amother wrote:
If that doesn't work try Tobi's, Arieli, or Gan Eden.

Do you have the contact information of the above mentioned? Also, do all of these offer UPK?

Well, I just called positive beginnings and I like that they have a UPK program for 4 year olds but then my 3 year old wouldn't be able to go there.

I will apple for Judy's again but I don't have much hope that they'll accept both of my kids since lots of people apply. Also, I never really understood the questions they ask on their application... like if the kid knows any other kids in the school? what if he doesn't? how would this affect anything?

miami85

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:18 pm
Tobi's is not UPK and she's also very popular so there are no guarantees that your 2 kids would get in. I'm kind of hoping for the same thing, but as my husband pointed out, the 3 year-olds and the 4yr-olds aren't in the same location so not such a big deal if my kids are in diff places.

The question about knowing other kids may have to do with class placement once the child gets in, I don't think it has to do with "pull"

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 11:59 am
OP here
Anyone else here that would recommend a good preschool/nursery school in Kew Garden Hills?

I've looked into Gan Eden and it sounds good. Even though it's not too far away from my house, I'd still need a car. I was told there's a van service but that would be an extra charge (not sure how much).

I feel stuck because I don't know where my kids should go to next year. Judi's is too difficult to get into. Positive Beginnings would be good only for my 4 year old. Gan Eden might work but I'd still need a car. I haven't checked Tobi's yet...don't have the contact info (anyone?).

Please help....

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:48 pm
The best preschool in Queens is by FAR Chabad of Bayside. If you have a car and/or can carpool, it's awesome. It has an amazing staff and facility AND outdoor playground. I don't know how much it is as I haven't sent there ( we moved a couple of years ago) but it's amazing. Check it out, just to see what's out there.

It's about 15 min. from KGH
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers