Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
MOTH

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 12:28 pm
We noticed on shabbos that we have MOTH flyling around our bedroom. There were a bunch of them om our ceiling. DH killed them. THere were a few more today.
What do we do????
I took out the clothes from one of the closets, there was nothing there.
I know nothing about moth- what are we to do now?
I find it disgunsting to even sleep in there now:(
Are they attracted only to clothes? should I empty all closets? and do what?
There's no food in our bedroom.

TIA!!!

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 8:17 pm
Moths hate the smell of cedar oil. If you cannot get a cedar closet (they cost a fortune) you can buy small cedar blocks to put in your closets and drawers, or bags of cedar shavings, or you can buy straight oil of cedar and put it on cotton balls that you stick in corners of the closet.

Moths are attracted to food residue, dirt and body oils in clothing, so never put clothes away that have been worn but have not been laundered or dry cleaned. You will not likely see clothing moths in your closet. They will lay their eggs in the clothing and the hatched eggs, or larvae, will chew on your clothes and make little holes in them. later they will mature into adult moths.

You need to thoroughly clean out all your storage areas and launder or dry clean your clothing. If you can't launder or dry clean something, put it in the freezer for a few days, then take it out for a while and alternate freezing and "thawing" so the shock kills the critters.

For more moth-related info than you will ever use, see
http://watoxics.org/healthy-li.....moths

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 8:20 pm
PS Avoid using mothballs aka naphthalene balls. They are quite toxic to breathe, can be fatal if swallowed, and the smell is impossible to remove once it gets into things.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 1:09 pm
I just found lots of holes in my sweaters.. Can I buy cedar blocks and they’ll be gone? Thanx!

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 6:19 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I just found lots of holes in my sweaters.. Can I buy cedar blocks and they’ll be gone? Thanx!

Cedar blocks won’t make the holes in your sweaters vanish. For that you need a tailor who is an expert at restoration.

Cedar repels moths but doesn’t kill them, so it’s a preventive measure, not a cure once the critters have set up shop in your closet. See the PP about cleaning clothes and storage areas. After doing all that, you can prevent recurrence by using some form of cedar—but you still have to clean the clothes before storing because the bugs are attracted to the dirt, sweat and body oils. If you dislike cedar, lavender, eucalyptus, cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon are also reputed to repel bugs.

If your sweaters are clean but very old, the holes may be caused by wear and tear on the yarn and not moth-related at all. This is more likely to be the case if it’s just one item and everything was put away clean. If the damaged items are fairly new and there are several of them damaged, or if the clothes were not cleaned before storage, it’s more likely to be moths, especially if the items are real wool or other animal hair.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics