Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Diapers or Lack of Them
Previous  1  2

busymom

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 9:32 pm
Just want to add a voice to those who said this can be normal for EBF babies. Our pediatrician said as much when dd went once each week. Only difference was that she was happy and did not seem uncomfortable.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 11:42 pm
amother wrote:
First, go off dairy and wait a week .if you don't see improvement, try soy. Then wheat, etc.

Also talk to an LC about block feeding for foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

I think they say to give it two weeks for the allergic food to get out of the system.

kb

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 11:46 pm
Can you do me (and yourself!) a favor and talk to a pediatrician to confirm there's nothing seriously wrong before making changes to your diet?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 2:19 am
MBV, she does swallow a lot of air, especially in the morning when I have a lot of milk. I do try to burp her quite a bit, but some of those burps can be stubborn (and maybe some of them turn into gas). But, I don't think this is the main problem, but it probably would give her some more relief if she got all the burps out.

The diet thing is interesting. Maybe I'll try cutting out dairy starting tomorrow and do it for a week. But, it's going to be extremely hard for me (kinda like being fleishigs for a week!). If I have to do this long-term, I might consider stopping nursing b/c I don't know if I am up for a such a life-style change. (I'm not especially good at meal planning.) Does anyone think formula would help my baby or would it just make her obviously sensitive stomach worse?
(Overall, I would obviously prefer nursing...)

-OP

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 7:32 am
If you know she's swallowing lots of air that may be all it is. You can try unlatching her when you have a letdown and then latching again when it slows down, so she doesn't gulp as much. And definitely work on getting all the burps out. I would stay far away from formula for now, which can actually be constipating and certainly will not help anything. Again, infrequent bowel movements are normal for some breastfed babies, and it may be unrelated to her gassiness.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:44 am
OP here. I took the baby to a pediatrician who I do not specifically trust as I just moved and have no experience with this particular pediatrician. She said I should give the baby a teaspoon of tomato juice squeezed straight from the tomato to help her go to the bathroom. Has anyone ever heard of this? A 4 month old baby having tomato juice? Should I try it or be weary?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:53 am
That probably helps with constipation but why do you think your baby is constipated? As long as the stool looks normal (yellow, very soft) that's just her normal pattern. It won't help the gas.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:54 am
I didn't tell her that the baby was constipated. I told her that the baby didn't have a bowl movement for 10 days and when she asked me if the baby felt OK, I said that she had a lot of gas.

You're right. It is her normal pattern to go a week, but what about when it's more than that? (like this past week) and maybe something I am eating is causing her to have a pattern like that. If it's just the way she is, I am happy for her to stay like that as it is much easier to change one dirty diaper a week! until she starts solids. But, if I am eating s/t that is bothering her system, I want to do something about it. I think I will ignore the doctor, but am seriously considering taking dairy out of my diet and see if that helps. I will just have to be on top of myself about the calcium.

-OP

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:56 am
Cutting out dairy is a pretty simple way of trying to reduce gas. Just do it a couple of weeks and see if it helps.

Lady Bug

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:01 am
I would be wary of the tomato juice. It is very acidic and can irritate your baby's little stomach even more than it already is. I would try water/tea bottle once a day, since it's it's safer and milder, and it might just work better. Give half your baby's weight in ounces daily - I.e. if your baby weighs 12 lbs, give 6oz water daily to keep his system moving.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:07 am
I would not give tomato to a 4-mo-old.

Before cutting out milk think if your diet is particularly spicy, includes lots of onions or garlic or gassy veggies like broccoli or cauliflower. I'd cut these out first and eat a bland diet for a week. If that doesn't help, or if your diet doesn't include a lot of these to begin with, I'd cut out milk for at least 2 weeks.

It is normal, and I'd even say common, for ebf babies to have infrequent and explosive bowel movements. I don't think that's related to the excessive discomfort or gas.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:22 am
Keep in mind that it might not be dairy. While it's the most common problem, dairy isn't the only option. It could be wheat or soy or something else. Don't be discouraged if going off dairy doesn't seem to help, it may be something else, or a combination of more than one thing.

Dairy is easily replaceable, if you know what you're doing. Almond and coconut milk are both good choices. Switching off will give you adequate calcium and fats you're not getting from milk.

Avocados can replace soft cheeses in sandwiches and even in baking, and an over easy or sunny side up egg can mimic sliced cheese in a sandwich as well.

Olives can sometimes help replace the umami of hard, aged cheese.

If you can get over cultural dictates of "breakfast food" vs. "Lunch food " vs "dinner food" you'll have a much easier time. A grilled chicken and avocado sandwich is just as healthy for breakfast as it is for lunch or dinner, and much healthier than a bowl of cereal. Whole grain muffins with veg/fruit/nuts are healthy, filling food.

Hatzlacha Rabba and may you have much nachas from your baby!

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 1:13 pm
Amen and thank you! I am just starting my non-dairy week. It's going to be a nice challenge, but thank you everyone especially those who gave me food advice. It's going to be hard, but it will be a nice culinary challenge!!

-OP

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 3:38 pm
OP back!

I decided to take the challenge and went off of dairy this past week BUT a new problem arose.
Baby got her shots on Sunday (I started no-dairy diet on Shabbos.) and on Tuesday started having diarrhea. On Wednesday (I think) it was really bad and I was changing her sometimes as often as once an hr. some of them were tiny, but I kept changing so she wouldn't get a rash. She Diapers have been dark green and mucusy. They are mostly pretty small. Baby sometimes starts to cry b4 making the diaper. They are usually pretty soon after I feed her. Now, she is still getting them but more like 4 times a day. Is this from the shot and she's sick or is it from my diet?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 9:06 pm
Mucus in an infants diaper warrants a trip to the pediatrician.

It could definitely be a side affect from the vaccines, so give it a few days and have the pediatrician take a look . If it doesn't clear up, take a look at your diet change. What foods are you eating a lot of now that you weren't eating before? Soy? Eggs? Wheat? If it's not the shots, whatever you introduced to replace dairy is what caused the change, so that's what you should avoid. If you see improvement, after a few weeks you can try reintroducing dairy.

abaker

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 10:24 pm
Eggs are also a common irritant. Are there any foods that don't agree with you so much op? If something makes you feel even a little gassy or uncomfortable your ebf baby can certainly have the same reaction. (For you it could be a minor or barely noticeable reaction but might be more irritating to baby)

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 3:31 pm
I replaced cereal and milk w/ oatmeal and am eating a lot more fish and chicken. I am not sure what does/doesn't bother my stomach. When I was younger, I was sensitive to dairy.
Baby's diapers are still dark green and mucousy. Now she's making around 3-4 a day (much better than the first few days when I was changing dirty diapers every hr. or 2). I had taken her to the pediatrician several times, but never described the poop. After all my bad experiences w/ the pediatrician, I almost don't feel like exposing my baby to the germs to hear what they have to say.
-OP
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics