Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Basement Pesach kitchen?

elisabeth

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 12:18 pm
We are planning on redoing our basement in several months, and I keep debating putting in a Pesach kitchen. Aside from the price, I just wonder if it would feel weird to cook in the basement.

Just as a note, we are a young family but are both BTs so will probably be making full Peach in the near future. We have made 2nd days the past few years, and 1st days/sedarim will not be far behind most likely:)

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 12:28 pm
It really depends on your options. I had a basement kitchen for over 35 years. Unless you can really do a full proper kitchen setup it can be hard. For many years I had poor lighting, bad water pressure, not much hot water, stove with irregular temperatures, etc. Over that time, though, I felt it was better to do that, to cook in advance at my convenience and freeze everything. I still kashered upstairs, but only the last day or so.

Eventually, I found it a pain to run up and down so much (and as I got older, it was harder to do so). Plus, as my kids grew up, I felt I could more easily handle having both chametz and Pesach going on upstairs (in different parts of the kitchen) at the same time. It helped that the upstairs kitchen was large (4 self cleaning ovens, 2 sinks, etc.) so that I could easily do that.

I do know people who do the opposite. They have a kitchen in the basement, but they kasher and cook for Pesach upstairs right away while continuing to cook chametz in the basement as long as necessary.

I am now building a new house and could do whatever I want, but I chose not to make a basement Pesach kitchen.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 12:29 pm
it's been done ... it also makes it easier if you cook in advance

tulip4u

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 1:22 pm
I find it a really big help.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 1:47 pm
I know someone who has a pesach kitchen in her basement and it is FANTASTIC. She absolutely loves it. No matter what is going on upstairs, she can just come down and cook up and leave the mess for her cleaning lady the next day (or clean it up if she wants). She also eats her seudas downstairs in the basement, but you could just as easily eat them upstairs. It's also great because she can lock the door and monitor when the kids come in and out which you cannot do as well upstairs. I would say go for it!!

winter_rose

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 2:09 pm
Yes yes yes! I love my Pesach kitchen!!! The only thing I wish we had down there is a full sized fridge (just mini), but it's cool and easy to store produce without refridgeration or spoilage. I can cook as much as I want ahead of time and my husband still gets his bread. I don't have to setup and teardown. Right before bedikat chometz we close off all the upstairs cabinets and pantry and foil the counters. Kasher the oven the next day for reheating and keep food in the fridge upstairs after it's cooked. Downstairs oven for cooking. We have an oven, stovetop, sinks, cabinets and pantry in the basement and block it off during the year. I thought it was frivolous but my husband insisted and I'm so glad he did. I couldn't have made Pesach last year wihout it.

doctorima

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 3:08 pm
If money and space isn't the issue, I would definitely encourage you to go for it. In the long-run it will give you a lot more flexibility, and just try to make it as comfortable a set-up as possible.

aquad

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:27 am
My mother has one. It is amazing. The old owners of the house were big into photography and used the area as a dark room- so it already had a sink. My mother installed an electric oven, and turned it into a kitchen. (She also has a spare full size fridge and freezer in the main basement.) She starts cooking for Pesach after Purim, and on erev Pesach is usually sitting around with nothing to do. Its a tiny area, only big enough for one, but it works fine. Just make sure to put a lock on the door, so that kids don't go wandering in with chametz.
Also: it might raise your taxes. Something to be aware of.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics