Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Kallah wearing white ...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:24 pm
miami85 wrote:
Really? I thought the kallah wears white like the man wears a kittel and like we wear white on yom kippur to show that we are pure before Hashem because we are atoning for our sins?

Nope. Until a few hundred years ago, brides did not necessarily wear white. But once white gowns became the Western norm, Jewish brides adopted the custom as well. As a people we're very good at inventing religious symbolism/justification for things we are already doing, and since the wedding day is in fact considered YK for the couple, the whole thing blended together very nicely. But the real reason Jewish brides wear white is that that is the color of wedding gowns in present-day Western society.

Google on anything like "Yemenite Wedding Dress" or "Sepharadi Bride" and you'll see some fantastic getups. My fave is one that I've seen in many books on the topic: RED velvet embellished with lavish gold embroidery. Not that I would have wanted to wear such a gown, heavy as anything and hot as the blazes, but it is magnificent to look at.

IIRC Ruchel posted not long ago pix of Jewish brides throughout the ages in different places, Much of it was of course b/w photography or drawings, but it's clear the dresses were colors other than white.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:24 pm
A friend recently wore a stunning lace over satin beige dress, narrow but flared skirt. Second wedding, but oh so stylish.

She can wear what makes her happy, it is her day to be beautiful.

I had a dress I could move and dance and jump and run in, I am not someone who likes to glide or be restrained by my clothes, but it was still beautiful. And I wore flats under my floor length dress so I could walk normally. Nobody noticed.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:36 pm
greenfire wrote:
the dresses were nice & all that ... but what if she offends the groom by not being herself - Idea

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. I'm tearing up. No time to read the rest of the thread now but hatzlacha!

ETA: I do think she should consider wearing white or off white, even if a simple dress. Again, haven't read the whole thread.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:38 pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ivory-.....51614

(Although it looks like a nightgown more to me than a wedding dress Wink)

Emily Thorne

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:41 pm
amother wrote:
I still never saw that and I have been to rebbishe chasunas.

the grandaughters of skver and viznitz monsey rebbes wear light pink but theyre the only ones who do that.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 6:37 pm
sgmama wrote:
the grandaughters of skver and viznitz monsey rebbes wear light pink but theyre the only ones who do that.

The only ones that you saw or know of.

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:19 pm
DD1 wore a purple sash on her wedding gown.

DD3 (16) plans on wearing a tuxedo style gown with a bowtie. Not sure what color.

I say let her wear what she wants-it's her day!

alef12

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:30 pm
Great of you to allow her to wear something non-traditional. I was a real tomboy but my mother would have keeled over if I had even suggested a non white dress. I ended up wearing a VERY simple non "poofy" raw silk dress (off white). My mother tried to convince me to add embellishments but I stood my ground on that.

How about a denim/chambray bridal dress? I think that would be perfect for a tomboy bride. You can go with a lighter color chambray that isn't white. Think light blue/washed indigo. Would be really cool with white combat boots Very Happy http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/....._QL40

alef12

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:39 pm
How about something like this? Only maybe not purple for the skirt http://modelmegirl.com/portal/.....t.jpg

chaos

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:54 pm
What colors and styles does she like to wear? What silouettes flatter her? What makes her feel her very best? There's no sense in limiting her to a traditional white wedding dress if it doesn't suit her.

I had a tea-length white wedding dress with little red heels.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:24 pm
This model is wearing similar comfortable black shoes with a gown.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/v......html

Imogen

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 12:46 am
Let her be herself indeed, the chuppah is all about the couple themselves.

Recently saw a lovely bride wearing flat sequinned trainers under her simple gypsy style long sleeved dress, hair was in a plait, no adornments, but she was young and smiling, best sort of accessory possible. Seen too many terrified strained looking girls waltz under the chuppah caked in makeup and tense as hell, let your girl enjoy her day!! DD is lucky to have a mother like you greenfire who lets her dd be herself, not stage manages the whole chuppah like wedding on ice.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 4:25 am
I've seen off white or even coloured. Even suits, though mostly for the civil not the chuppa. Maybe heard of it for a couple chuppas.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 5:49 am
Ruchel wrote:
I've seen off white or even coloured. Even suits, though mostly for the civil not the chuppa. Maybe heard of it for a couple chuppas.

You never saw off-white at the chupa?? By the way, off-white is still WHITE.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 6:11 am
I don't think that's what Ruchel said. She was saying suits were mainly for civil marriages, not Jewish weddings, in her experience.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 7:34 am
Yup. I don't see how to make the sentence clearer.

I said basically only saw or heard of suit under the chuppa a few times.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 7:43 am
Ruchel wrote:
Yup. I don't see how to make the sentence clearer.

I said basically only saw or heard of suit under the chuppa a few times.

Argh!! Contrary to what my husband tells me, I still don't understand English!

dGirl

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:50 am
LOVE this one.

Pink with pockets.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Pr.....esses

imaima

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 11:22 am
greenfire wrote:
the dresses were nice & all that ... but what if she offends the groom by not being herself - Idea

Please they have all of their life together to be themselves. They have to be chosson and kallah just for one day

Barbara

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 11:29 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ivory-Satin-1940s-WWII-Vintage-Wedding-Dress-/251699651614

(Although it looks like a nightgown more to me than a wedding dress Wink)

"Bought for vintage boutique but never sold."

GEE. I wonder why. HINT: because its a nightgown, not a wedding dress!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics