Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Please share best your advice: Due one month before Pesach
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 11:05 pm
(Apologies for creating a Pesach thread before Hanukkah!)

I am iy"H having a baby one month before Pesach, and because I love a challenge, I am of course iy"H making Pesach at home.

I have made Pesach several times, but never like this! I would appreciate any and all advice!

The following are givens and absolutely non-negotiable:

- there will be sleep-over guests
- there is no option for buying take-out food/catering meals
- I cannot cook in advance, however, I can hopefully clean most of the house in advance

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
(Apologies for creating a Pesach thread before Hanukkah!)

I am iy"H having a baby one month before Pesach, and because I love a challenge, I am of course iy"H making Pesach at home.

I have made Pesach several times, but never like this! I would appreciate any and all advice!

The following are givens and absolutely non-negotiable:

- there will be sleep-over guests
- there is no option for buying take-out food/catering meals
- I cannot cook in advance, however, I can hopefully clean most of the house in advance

I would
-make sure the house is clean for pesach well in advance
-purchase non-perishables that are available year round well in advance (teas, coffee, sugar, canned itemsetc.)
-stock up on papergoods and serve on those
-have sleepover guests bring their own bedding to make set up and clean up for guests easier
-utilize my crockpot as much as possible for yummy meals
-utilize my oven as much as possible and use disposable tins to cut down on washing dishes and sitting over pots to watch and stir
-have my menu and shopping lists prepared months before, bearing in mind crockpot and oven and simple yummy dishes
Bsha'ah tova!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 2:41 am
Buy a big electric roaster (this is a good time of the year to get deals on them), throw potatoes and carrots and meat in, and your cooking is done. Serve with salad, and fruit for dessert.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:06 am
Have the house cleaned before as much as possible. Literally everything except completing the kitchen.

Hire household help. This is essential. You will need an extra pair of hands who will follow instructions and pitch in with no strings attached. (Guests and family can sometimes be moody or unavailable. Not a good situation postpartum ).

Train your family now. Using a chart or index cards give out jobs and expect them to get done. Teach them to pitch in reliably.

Lastly. Don't sweat on the small stuff. The main thing is to kasher the kitchen. And to take care of yourself. Keep focused on those two things. Everything else is extra thereby not essential.

You will IYH be holding an infant by the Pesach Seder. That is priceless. Wishing you that everything should go B'shah tova umitzlachas!

curlyhead

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:21 am
Had a baby a few days before purim. I already had a bunch of young kids. I do not do well when pregnant so other then sorting though some of the clothes I did not cleaning organizing. I rested for 2 weeks after the baby was born had 3 weeks left till pesach. Because of baby I had no other responsibilities such as work or appointments. Did minimal cleaning got a lot of cleaning help- manily for the heavy vaccuming and the kitchen. I did not do spring cleaning or organizing People were making me dinner for like 3 weeks so one week I was still getting meals so that saved time with the cooking and cleanup.
Bh baby slept a lot and was very well behaved but I always feel better after the baby is born then when pregnant.

Cook simple foods - no desserts and nothing fancy you could get it done in 2 days for the first days.

curlyhead

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:23 am
You can always cook on yomtov. A crockpot may be a good idea you can throw in potatoes and meat for lunch.

boysrus

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 6:28 am
b'shaah tovah, stay positive and dont panic
take every shortcut available, recruit as much help as possible, adn even if you dont usually 'mish' eat other peoples cooking n pesach, this is the year to relax that rule. btdt

mpk

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 6:49 am
You can also buy an electric burner and do some cooking before you turn over the kitchen. So you can have your freezer stocked with soups and the Pesach crepes.

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 7:29 am
I had a baby rosh Chodesh Adar one year. The best thing I did was ban all eating outside of the table. I cleaned bedrooms as early as I could and made it clear no food allowed. It took so much pressure off of me. We still do this today.

quinny

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 8:30 am
have everything cleaned before you have your baby I even did my kitchen when I had mine 3 weeks before even if it needs to get cleaned again it wont be a big deal. hire help and accept all offers from friend and family.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 8:45 am
you don't say how many guests you are having, and how many kids you are cooking for. All that makes a difference.

I would try and make sure the house is as clean as possible before the baby is born. Don't leave everything until the last minute in case the baby comes early. Ban all eating outside kitchen. Get a cleaning crew or good cleaning lady to come clean the kitchen a few days before pesach. Then hopefully your husband will kosher it.

keep cooking to basics. most people like meat or chicken and potatoes and salad. Maybe you can hire help to help peel and chop vegetables. Vegetables will keep for about a day in cold water so it can be done the day before too. Try and buy as much as you can of desserts and the like.

order as much as you can in advance. You might be able to set up online orders for things like papergoods and maybe even some groceries.

cotton candy

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 8:49 am
Don't be cheap on help. Save up for it now. I was and came to the Seder very sick!

MMCH

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 9:58 am
bshah tova!
this was my experience, I had my DD2 about 3. 5 weeks be4 pesach.
We lived OOT, with no family around, and though they used to come for pesach, that year (thankfully!)they couldn't.

so the first thing I did, was search the internet for coupons for any sort of house cleaning services. At the time (ha in December) I kept telling myself, whats the big deal, Were only 3 ppl, how messy can it be, THIS WAS A LIFESAVER!! I got 2 50% coupons to separate cleaning agencies, and had them both come at different times.
My wonderful dh turned over the kitchen.
once all that was done (which to me is the hardest part) throughout the year I stocked up on sales of all Plastic cutlery and plates.
When the grocery store was having sales on frozen food (which I never buy, like blintzes, franks and blanks,) I bought those so that we could eat that the week b4
I cooked really simply, made a lot of soups which are easy to freeze. I made one or two desserts, and one or two cakes. and thats it.
We bh got invited out for some day meals which was really nice.
Good luck. feel good.

aussie2

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 11:14 am
hi, I had a baby two weeks after pesach..
The was my first time making pesach actually and although I was quite nervous before bh it all worked out well ..
I would def hire cleaning help as you dont want to have to do too many heavy duty jobs ( I put myself into false labor doing that)

I would have sleeping guests help as much as possible- bring their own linen, help with serving and clearing off etc.

Is cooking in advance not possible bec of freezer space (if so I def think buying/renting extra freezer would be a major help_ or perhaps it is bec you cant turn over kitchen that early.

cooking should be simple- fruit/ambrosia for dessert or entree.. crockpot style mains.. a few kugels and some salads.

Bsha tova and really dont sweat the small stuff.. it will all come together in the end.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 11:37 am
My DD (now 6 1/2) was born a week before Pesach, and I hosted my parents and 4 single siblings for Pesach. I was actually due 2 weeks before Pesach, and ended up giving birth a week past my due date.

I had planned to have the house cleaned by my due date. I ended up with an extra week. I was lucky that one high-school-aged sister came to help me as soon as school let out for Pesach vacation - basically that week - and we turned over and stocked the freezer. So by the time I gave birth, most of my main cooking was done - roasts, kugels, soups, etc...

For the week before Pesach I actually relaxed and enjoyed my then long-awaited baby. We ate mostly take-out and pizza in a designated Chametz room.

For Pesach, I kept things really simple. It was the only Pesach that I used paper goods, and I have to admit that we set things up nicely and Yom Tov was still nice and festive. My sisters took care of all the serving and clearing, so the fact that I had company actually ensured that I rested more. Plus they were built in entertainment for my older DD's.

As others mentioned, get as much cleaning help as possible. My Rav said I could have my help come even on Yom Tov, since I was still considered a Choleh. Well, she didn't show....but at least on Chol Hamoed she came and cleaned, every day.

Cut corners where you can. We managed just fine without fancy desserts and with minimal baking - most of which my sisters pitched in with. Brownies and blondies, mixed and baked on Yom Tov, are fresh, hot, and delicious.

B'shaa Tova!

Emotional

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 11:43 am
As others have said, hire help to the maximum of your financial ability.
I was in your situation last year. My hired help got sick with flu, and so did 3 of my kids...we ended up going to family for Pesach last minute, which was very kind of them but not ideal for them or for us.
A lot will depend on your sleepover guests, how considerate they are and how helpful. They may just be clueless. Be sure you spell out to them that you are happy to have them, but they MUST pitch in and they must pick up after themselves and their kids.Tell them they need to be proactive and not wait to be asked to make the household run smoothly for yom tov. Tell them you will be postpartum and weak.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 7:36 am
thanks for starting this post!
I too am due on purim...
I have a 5 young kids the youngest will be 18 months kh at that time. he's in the mess making stage....
im thinking maybe to but on this hook n locks on the OUTSIDE of the bedrooms so I can clsoe the door so he cant get in. ( he turns knobs). I dont know how easy it will be to keep the house chometz free... esp. while I'm at the hospital ( or if I end up going to akimperturin heim) I will definity try to clean the most I can . even if it needs a recleaning it will be easier.
I'm thinking come shevat time to ask a friend ( who has a pesach kitchen) if she would allow me to use her kitchen ( I have a big freezer that I can clean and keep locked)
applesauce/ egg noodles/cookies/bownies all that is a big help if it is ready...

like mentioned above. household help. disposable pans/dishes/cutlery. easy easy soups/roasts ... and the knowledge that Hashem will help...

for those that mentioned lowering your standard on Pesach... it might work for you. but not for others... I know it wouldnt for my family... my husband would prefer to eat only matza and apples but not "mish"

underthestars

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 8:14 am
what's "mish"??

Imhappy!

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 8:28 am
literal translation ( yiddish) is "to mix"
meaning to eat food prepared outside the home.
many ppl have different levels of observing this custom....

5mom

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 8:53 am
Beshaa tova!
One of my children was born a week before Pesach.

I agree with all the other posters who said to get as much help as you can afford.

There are some things that can be done far in advance. Get the kids out for a day. Cover up with foil and cook a bit.

Buy a 2 burner hotplate and make vegetable soup now. I also made ices and ice cream and froze them. I kashered the oven and baked brownies. Ask if you can get meat and chicken that are kosher for Pesach now. (Some places are pesachdik all year long.) Cook a roast or two, freeze chickens individually in foil pans. Then you can add potatoes, onions or whatever and bake them erev yom tov.

My grandmother said that in Europe, women used to kasher their ovens at Chanukah, roast a goose, and put the fat in jars to render it into oil for Pesach.

Good luck, and good for you for planning in advance!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics