Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Need present for family we r living with for a year

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 8:48 pm
I have been living with my parents(and siblings) for a year now. I closed today on my new home finally!!! I want to get a really nice present and a poem to go with it. any ideas? Wiling to spend up to $700

penguin

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 9:10 pm
You could refurbish their guest room, which I assume has had some wear and tear from your stay. New linens, maybe even new mattresses. A nice night table if they don't have one.

A nice note about how much you appreciated their hachnosas orchim and since their hosts with the most you want to pass it forward for the comfort of their future guests.

I was thinking of other accessories, like a Shabbos lamp, a pretty tissue box & wastebasket, dual alarm clock, carafe with cup, but if anyone is very sensitive, would this imply you were not treated royally enough?

If your siblings gave up from their room/helped with your kids, you might want to get something for each of them, so that would be a different set of criteria (depending on age, interests etc).

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 9:38 pm
When we stayed at my parents' place for 6 months, we surprised them by having new carpet laid on their staircase while they were oot. Is there a similar home improvement that would be appreciated?

strawberry cola

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:00 pm
I suggest something beautiful they might not buy themselves- something in silver or crystal. I would only go the home improvement route if you know they would appreciate it or ask them first.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 6:45 am
Open here. Thank you for the replies. I am definitely getting new linen do the beds I slept on as well as new shower curtains and bathroom things. Besides that I wanted to get something else. The only idea I have is a silver kiddies cup fountain. And I need a great note to go with it. But keep the ideas coming.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 12:28 pm
Do your parents ever get away? Many sponsor a few night vacation. And if you still have small siblings you can babysit or do carpool while they are away.

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 12:51 pm
how about a year's supply of something FUN - like a different bottle of wine for every shabbos Drunken Smile

amother

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 2:20 pm
Op here. My parents go away often enough (mostly for work purposes) and can't go more often than that and do take family vacations. I already bought them a subscription to the ami magazine, a swing for their porch, and a gorgeous vase for shavuos this year. I also gotthem two gift cecertificates to restaurants. I basically do their carpool. As well Smile

amother

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 2:21 pm
Op here again. My mother buys winery the case so that won't work.

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 3:37 pm
you can get them a puppy

Ruchel

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 12:43 pm
her parents leave regularly! Absolutely do NOT buy them any animal without their consent (even if they don’t leave btw)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics