Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Scared to take care of baby after bris
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 8:27 am
So I am Bh expecting a baby boy. Last time I had a boy I went to one of the kimpeturin homes for a few days after the bris. This time I don't think I will be able to.

I am really scared of diapering and taking care of the baby for the 3 days after the bris. Last time I didn't have to do it at all and I don't know what to expect. It's an extra thing I'm worrying about besides for the regular labor/delivery jitters.

Can you guys tell me what it was like? Is it as bad as I'm imagining? Any tricks? Tx so much!

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 9:01 am
It's not that scary. Have somebody (like a friend or family member) help you right after the brit milah. That's the scariest diaper to change. After that, just try to avoid touching the bandages and change him as usual.

Besha'ah tova!

amother

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 9:11 am
You will be fine, be"H. Change him very slowly. You might be used to just ripping off diapers while you have a million things on your mind. Don't. That's when problem starts. Things will be ok. Hopefully there will be a bubby, aunt, etc. to help you the first one or two. b'shaa tova!

rachel6543

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 9:13 am
You'll be fine, it's honestly really not so bad. I have a little boy and it really wasn't a big deal after the bris. Follow the dr's instructions for cleaning. Sorry, it's been 6 yrs since my son was born, so I can't exactly remember what I did, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 9:19 am
Can you get a baby nurse for a day or two? it's cheaper than a day in a kimpeturin home and will ease your mind. I can give you the phone numbers of amazing agencies.

asd3

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 9:35 am
I have four boys the youngest is five months... It's really not a big deal not much harder than taking care of any other booboo. You change the diaper as normal just don't touch the bris. Depending how your mohel works he may come the next day to check the baby and change tge bandage. After that you'll just need to put on pieces of gauze with neosporin or something like that for about a week. It's really not a big deal

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 9:36 am
Definitely wasn't terrible, especially if you aren't a first time mom and overwhelmed just from a regular diaper change.

cotton candy

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 9:51 am
I'm 2 days after bris and the mohel in my case changed the first diaper. After that I use baby oil instead of wipes because it's gentler. I don't touch the Bris part till it's healed. It's not a big deal.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 10:01 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Can you get a baby nurse for a day or two? it's cheaper than a day in a kimpeturin home and will ease your mind. I can give you the phone numbers of amazing agencies.

OP here. Thank you all for your replies, they definitely are calming me down a bit.

Mama Bear, I live in a small apartment and don't have a bed for a baby nurse to stay in. I may be able to have a night nurse stay on the couch for a few days. Do you think a night nurse is worth it? Does the agency you have provide night nurses as well?

Thanks!

Miri7

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 10:05 am
Really - don't worry! I had the same worry and was so surprised that it's really just no big deal at all! Ditto what they said above - just a dab of neosporin and gauze and you're done. Very simple and no reason to be concerned. Smile.

Edited for typos

scrltfr

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 10:24 am
Ask the mohel to come back the next day. You will be fine

abaker

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 11:21 am
you will be fine. the mohel will show you and dh how to care for it. and he's available for calls/texts when you have concerns or questions. our mohel has us leave the bandage on a day, and bathe baby daily. if bandage doesn't fall off on it's on you soak it off in tub. put new gauze and bacatracian at every diaper change for a week. I did all the bris diapers for my ds, and it seriously was easier than expected...its easy to care for a newborn's bris diaper than it is to change a squirmy rolling toddlers dirty diaper in my opinion! hatzlacha, bshah tovah!

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 3:28 pm
Yes, it's very worth it!!!!
My family used Good Night, an agency out of lakewood.(they send nannys all over). They sent some amazing nurses.
I'll get you the # iyh after shabbos. remind me.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 3:34 pm
It's not so terrible, but I personally asked my husband to do it since I just didn't want to, and he was happy to spare me.
I ended up doing some anyway but it felt good not to have to do it. I know someone who asked her mother to do it.

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 4:30 pm
everybody's scared ... the mohel should show you and your husband how to change the diaper & everything gets easier within a couple of changes

anonymom

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 4:32 pm
Taking care of a baby after a bris is one of the high points of being a Jewish mother. It is a privilege.

chani8

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 11:33 am
I didn't see anyone mention this option, so I'll suggest it. Let your DH change the post-bris diapers.

I really have a hard time changing diapers after a bris, so my DH does it. I think it's a great way to keep Dad involved.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 12:17 pm
I'm 3 days post bris and was scared like you too! my DH changed the first one and whenever he's around and I changed the rest. it's not so bad it's bandaged and there's no blood around. just follow instructions of which creams to put around etc. you will be fine!

Ruchel

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 12:45 pm
What is terrible to one isn’t to another… even if it’s a mitzva. BH the mohel said my husband should do it. There is NO WAY I could do it. I almost fainted at baby blood tests.
Hiring someone a full day (even more with night price) is absolutely prohibitive but if you can…

miami85

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 6:38 pm
I had 2 boys, and didn't find it to be too terrible. Our mohel lives nearby so he came over frequently to change the bandage. Other than looking very red, it wasn't too terrible. Every diaper change we changed the gauze with A&D and Bacitracin, wasn't too bad.

OP are you scared of what it will look like? It looked red, but change the dressing quickly and you won't notice much.
scared of infection? If you apply the ointments as directed, then baby will be fine.
scared you will hurt the baby? my boys didn't cry much after the first day--and despite how the Torah describes it for Avraham, I didn't notice the 3rd day being much worse--and if it was I probably gave Tylenol
scared of the blood? I don't recall much blood, and the mohel changed the bandage.

Relax and enjoy your baby!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics