Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What kosher cookbook do you recomend for a secular person?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 4:14 pm
A secular relative asked me to get her a Jewish cookbook. She is not a newlywed and I have no idea what types of foods she likes. What kosher cookbook do you recommend I buy?

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
A secular relative asked me to get her a Jewish cookbook. She is not a newlywed and I have no idea what types of foods she likes. What kosher cookbook do you recommend I buy?

Why do you need a kosher cookbook? You can get a kosher style cookbook.

The art of Jewish cooking by Jennie Grosinger.

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 4:38 pm
Code:
Kosher food blogger Tori Avey goes by a title that shocks some people: She's The Shiksa In the Kitchen! But she says that she wants to redeem this word, sometimes used to refer disparagingly to a gentile woman. Tori uses her blog to show through her recipes and writing how a recent convert found her spiritual path through love, community, and good, heartwarming food with history. Come take a tour of her gorgeous Los Angeles kitchen — this is where she cooks and blogs daily.

http://www.thekitchn.com/kitch.....64776

sounds like a great place to find recipes

DrMom

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 11:17 am
I'm not sure how a kosher cookbook for a secular person would differ from a kosher cookbook for a frum person.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 11:45 am
Ideally take a book explaining kashrus too.

m in Israel

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 11:58 am
Are you looking for a trendy cookbook that happens to be kosher? Or a cookbook for someone who wants recipes for traditional types of "kosher" food?

If the second, I really love Sara Finkel's Classic Kosher Cooking, although I don't know if it is still in print. It is old school -- no full page color photographs -- but it has great recipes for traditional Ashkenazic food, plus lots of variations (and ways to make them healthier).

Liebs

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 1:28 pm
amother wrote:
Ideally take a book explaining kashrus too.

The Bais Yakov Cookbook fits this criteria.
If she has kids can do a Kids/teens in Kitchen or any of KBD are nice.
Lubavitch has one too.

Mi Li

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 4:06 pm
Spice and Spirit (Lubavitch purple cookbook) teaches you lots about kashrus and has all the basic jewish recipes

Raisin

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 5:46 pm
She wants a cookbook with typical Jewish recipes - cholent, kishke, chicken soup, kugel.

I've given the spice and spirit of kosher Jewish cooking to a few secular kallahs (they do keep kosher) and they all really like it. Its very comprehensive and has got all ashkenazi and a some sefardi dishes. Plus most recipes work well.

Claudia Roden has a book called the book of Jewish food which covers all Jewish cuisine from over the world, but not all the recipes work well. Its very heavy on the sefardi cuisine (she is sefardi) and less so on ashkenazi.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 6:05 pm
Spice and Spirit has a whole section on kashrus, on Shabbos, and also how tos...how to make challah, hamantashen, kreplach, blintzes etc and the traditional time to eat them.

mille

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 6:21 pm
I really recommend Cooking Jewish: http://smile.amazon.com/Cookin.....cigor

It is very accessible to non religious folk, it's not quite so starkly KOSHER as other cookbooks (although the author does say in the foreword that she had a rabbi involved to make sure that all the recipes would be kosher assuming all the ingredients are kosher). It has lots of cutesy Jewish stories about genealogy, family, cooking, memorable meals, etc. It's organized in a nice way, and it includes many iterations of most of the very iconic Jewish foods. It does explain the basics of kashrut, but not in a 'how to set up a kosher kitchen' way.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 6:56 pm
DrMom wrote:
I'm not sure how a kosher cookbook for a secular person would differ from a kosher cookbook for a frum person.

I am looking for a cookbook where the recipes are things that you would normally find in all houses, not just Orthodox ones.

The best way I can think to explain this is by quoting a review of "Kids Cooking Made Easy" written by a non Jew. I saw this post when I was thinking of buying the cookbook for my kids.
Quote:
I bought this book for my 11-year old granddaughter. Today, I browsed through the recipes before wrapping it for x-mas. Some of the recipes have ingredients I have never used, and some I've never heard of before. For instance, malawach dough - used to make broccoli-cheese borekas (what's that?). Another calls for panko crumbs, which I just heard of 2 weeks ago. There's also, fresh basil, dry yeast (for children cooks?), skirt steak, hummus, Israeli salad (?), techineh (???), coriander, citric acid and mango sorbet.. The recipes are for borekas, spinich quesadillas, peanut butter pizzelle cake, and zucchini spaghetti. The book may give easy directions, but the recipes, and ingredients, are not what any child I know would know. My granddaughter asked for an Easy-bake oven for x-mas, and I give her this???

You can read it here on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Coo.....t_img

naomi2

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 7:20 pm
another vote for spice and spirit. lots of explanations and many many traditional recipes

flmommy

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 7:24 pm
Spirit and spice

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 7:48 pm
You might have her over to cook with you one day, perhaps to cook one of the recipes in the book. There's nothing like living it as an experience. I think she may be angling for that, a little bit.

I also think she may be angling for a Shabbos dinner invitation, to see your husband make Kiddush, and what it's all like. Maybe that comes later.

I would opt for one book with gorgeous photographs in addition to any other one you may like. You want her to be attracted to the concept with beauty. No harm in giving her two books.

jkw

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 8:43 pm
If it's still in print, look for Joan Nathan's THE JEWISH HOLIDAY COOKBOOK. Then she can start by looking at what is good for each holiday...

Ilana Tamar

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 8:53 pm
Another vote for Spice and Spirit!

Jamie Geller's first cookbook also does lots of explaining.

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 9:17 pm
Although they don't have any explanations of kashrut, I like Norene Gilletz's "Norene's Healthy Kitchen" and "Healthy Helpings. They are great recipes, and focus on healthy recipes.

Otherwise, I second Spice and Spirit. It has great recipes, and good information on kashrut.

Dina_B613

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 9:48 pm
I second Jamie Geller's books!

sky

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 11:01 pm
Spice and Spirit.

covers so many areas in kashrus, challah, tradition.

And has all the traditional and basic recipes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen