Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Iron for an EBF Baby

Do you give your breast-fed baby iron supplements?
Yes  
 26%  [ 10 ]
No  
 73%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 38

luppamom

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 4:58 pm
The dr just told me that I need to start giving my 4 mo. old EBF baby iron drops b/c breast milk does not contain a lot of iron. Hashem created breast-milk w/ the perfect balance of everything a baby needs... How could it not have enough iron for the baby?

I went on the computer and googled it and it seems like there are theories that breastfed babies DO NOT need iron, since the iron in breast-milk is perfectly absorbed. In fact, it said that the extra iron could be bad for the baby!! I also know that iron (mostly from the pregnant "community"), that iron doesn't always agree w/ the stomach.

Do you give your EBF babies iron? What are some thoughts on this? I want to be a responsible mother... I am still not sure what to do...

madres

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 9:02 pm
Mother milk is perfect, but we aren't . We're lacking so many important vitamins etc.... So that's why I give my breastfed bb "baby multi vitamins".
Especially important for vitamin D, since there's very limited amount of sun in good old uk!!!

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 9:24 pm
No. My ped does not recommend giving an EBF baby anything unless there are known or suspected deficiencies particular to the child.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 11:47 pm
Starting from infancy my ped recommended a multi-vitamin even though was EBF particularly for vitamin d as most ppl in USA are low on that unless they take a supplement and then tested my DC for iron levels (finger prick) and was low, even though BF (no formula although started eating some solids like iron rich baby cereal, veggies etc). So started on iron drops in the cereal.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 11:26 am
I never did, not on principle, but just because as a new mother that was one of the things that I just didn't get to. But each of my children had their iron levels tested and the levels were just fine. So I don't think it's really necessary anyway!

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 11:29 am
I did it for a few weeks and then gave up. My baby hated the taste, it upset her stomach, and her levels were fine when we tested them.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 1:02 pm
My ped did recommend the trivosol vitamin for an ebf baby, and I used it most days as long as I remembered too. Once you start solids its no longer necessary I think.

smss

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 2:07 pm
http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/
Quote:

In one of these studies, done by Pisacane in 1995, the researchers concluded that babies who were exclusively breastfed for 7 months (and were not give iron supplements or iron-fortified cereals) had significantly higher hemoglobin levels at one year than breastfed babies who received solid foods earlier than seven months. The researchers found no cases of anemia within the first year in babies breastfed exclusively for seven months and concluded that breastfeeding exclusively for seven months reduces the risk of anemia.

note the bolded...

Liebs

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 5:09 pm
My ped aid, "If it aint broken don't fix it". I give test if they look pale/get black & blue marks often. My formula fed baby needed it.

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 5:34 pm
Your body will usually deplete your vitamins and minerals in favor of providing your child, so checking your own is probably a good idea to ensure your baby has enough.

If you're worried, check the level. It is dangerous to blindly give a baby or child iron, as an overdose is potentially lethal in children.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics