Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Poor curious george....

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 7:35 pm
Reading Curious George to my three year old, we were at the part where the man with the yellow hat catches George and takes him out of the jungle, when my third grader pipes in knowingly.... "Oh, he should not do that, he could get Ebola...."

I didn't know if I should laugh or cry!

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 7:36 pm
so so cute

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 9:25 pm
Oy.

My 4-year-old just wants to know why the man with the yellow hat keeps leaving George alone, as he obviously can't be trusted. Seriously!

imasoftov

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 4:20 am
amother wrote:
Reading Curious George to my three year old, we were at the part where the man with the yellow hat catches George and takes him out of the jungle, when my third grader pipes in knowingly.... "Oh, he should not do that, he could get Ebola...."

I didn't know if I should laugh or cry!

Razzle100

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 5:06 am
You have a thoughtful and compassionate 4 year old! I loved Curious George as a kid but as an adult was properly horrified by the kidnapping and abandonment of this trusting little monkey.

Maybe the two of you could make up your own words to the pictures? You could also use the pictures and some scissors to make a pretty collage Smile

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 5:32 am
This will date me but when I was about 10 I read Mr. Bass and the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron and I was baffled: why didn't they ask their parents before going on an interplanetary trip? Scratching Head

little_mage

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 5:59 am
After rereading/watching Curious George as an adult, I have come to the conclusion that the Man with the Yellow Hat should never have children.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 6:03 am
I found Curious George books upsetting when I was a kid because I knew he was doing things he should not have done.
My ds on the other hand chuckles at all the mischief.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 6:42 am
little_mage wrote:
After rereading/watching Curious George as an adult, I have come to the conclusion that the Man with the Yellow Hat should never have children.

Ah, would that we had more room in our sig line entries.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 11:03 am
Be proud, your dc is not only sharp but also up on current events. Why would you laugh OR cry, unless you were laughing in delight to have such a with-it dc?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 11:21 am
zaq wrote:
Be proud, your dc is not only sharp but also up on current events. Why would you laugh OR cry, unless you were laughing in delight to have such a with-it dc?

Lol... Would love to post under my screen name but I keep telling people this story IRL....

I laughed of course because I found her quick analysis of the situation so charming and precocious.... I suppose I meant cry in the sense of the frightfullness of the disease itself....

Incidentally, my three year old can't seem to get past the stuffing of poor George into the bag.... I suppose the book is sort of dated with respect to our modern sensibilities...

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:

.. I suppose the book is sort of dated with respect to our modern sensibilities...

As are almost all the classics in one way or another.
"Modern sensibilities" would advocate against teaching children the Bible. Murder, fratricide, genocide, global natural disaster, human bondage...lots of very "politically incorrect" stuff in there that modern sensibilities might object to. But of course "modern sensibilities" are just fine with teaching children all about homos*xuality, transs*xuality, and other "lifestyle choices".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics