Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Anyone with a child with Apraxia/Dyspraxia?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 12:39 am
My son is aging out of CPSE next year, and trying to gauge what kind of services will get--especially if he enters private school (we are thinking of letting him repeat another year of Kindergarten b4 pre1a). He has an Apraxia diagnosis--might be more of dyspraxia, but not a big deal. He talks a lot, sometimes hard to understand, and struggles mostly with pragmatic language and when he get frustrated. He knows many letters, shapes, colors etc. but struggles to socialize b/c he knows that many kids don't understand him.

bnm

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 1:25 am
I'm not even up to that stage yet. My son is 3.5 and currently in a special ed place because I felt bad mainstreaming him this year though he probably would have managed, just not flourished.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 7:33 am
My kids who had apraxia were pretty severely unintelligible. Dd got speech therapy 5 times a week (now she speaks pretty clearly and is down to 2), and ds gets 4 times and we are working on an increase. It really depends on the kid's needs.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 9:46 am
the world's best mom wrote:
My kids who had apraxia were pretty severely unintelligible. Dd got speech therapy 5 times a week (now she speaks pretty clearly and is down to 2), and ds gets 4 times and we are working on an increase. It really depends on the kid's needs.

OP here, are you in NY? I know that the "gold standard" for Apraxia is 4-5x/wk speech therapy. B"H my son's issues seem a lot more mild (which is why I think it's dyspraxia but they aren't worrying about the dx just yet) and he currently gets 3x sp w/PROMPT in his preschool (that's the max that they give).

I'm a little concerned about his socializing, currently he must play with the other kids in his class, but none of them are Jewish so not a big deal. When I ask him "who did you play with?" He tells me "the trains"

He seems to have a slight delay processing questions Do they give SETTS in kdg? I don't think that he'll qualify for a self-contained class but I think he'll need some support in the regular classroom

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 10:25 am
I do live in NY. SETTS is for ages 5 and up. Before that, there is SEIT.

I think socializing is important, regardless of who is in his class. He does need to learn cooperative play. A SEIt would be helpful for that.

I am a bit confused about your use of the word dyspraxia. As far as I know, that's exactly the same thing as apraxia. They both affect the child's ability to produce sounds accurately. To give you an idea of how that would sound if it is not a mild case, my ds is 6 and he said this yesterday while making a phone call. He just learned to say the the f, s, and ch sounds in words last week. This is what he said:

(While dialing) sticks, fpour, sticks, fpive, fpive fpive, steh-ven, steh-ven....

Then, "Hello, can I peak to CH-caim? I'm calling you from the list we made in Ch-cool- I mean stchool. Good Stabbos."

All those f's, s's and ch's would have been absent last week. He still hasn't figured out how to delete the incorrect sound that he has always said in place of those letters. That is severe apraxia.

bnm

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 11:10 am
my son socializes. the whole summer he cried that his friends aren't in school, new kids had come who weren't verbal yet. his speech has improved greatly but he still takes a long time to get certain thoughts out and sometimes I'm the only one who understands him and sometimes even I don't understand him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers