Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
TANTRUMING...all.the.time.
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 7:09 pm
I have a 3 year old who is very similar. And my mornings were hectic. But also any transitional time.
Additionally, I noticed some sensory seeking behaviour. Spoke to teachers they said she's amazing in school. Trusted my gut and scheduled an appointment for an assessment at an OT who specialized in sensory integration.
Anyway, she's a very smart child BH. But on a sensory level and on certain aspects of the assessment she scored like a nine month old.
This could be totally off base, but note her sensory diet, my daughter has no vestibular sense at all ( she has no clue where her body is) and was constantly seeking sensory input that would help her self regulate.
Anyway we started OT and I have seen a huge difference.
Just a different angle to think about. My daughter wasn't tantrumming for attention or to be a trouble maker. She just didn't know what else to do.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 10:02 pm
DD is almost 5, and this was us, up until 2 weeks ago. things have improved in leaps and bounds, B"H!! DD is the oldest of three, and my reactions previously sound much like yours, so I can really relate!

Background: DD is very sensitive, often apologizing after she calms down, and planning how not to let it happen again (so sweet)! She really doesn't want to do it. She has some sensory defensiveness- not officially diagnosed, but OTs I know who I and have described her to were pretty sure she has it. We have not (yet) brought her for a proper evaluation. Also, her class size increased from 17 kids last year to 24 this year, which has made the tantrums dramatically worse.

We spoke to a social skills expert- Shaindel Cohen- about her, and her advice has improved things so dramatically, I keep pinching myself to make sure it's real.

Her main advice: EMPATHY- as soon as the kid expresses theres a problem, make eye contact and be verbally empathetic, but don't go overboard. Say: "oy!" or "that must make you sad", or "that sounds frustrating!". And mean it. This has diffused SO MANY of here tantrums!

yaeli83

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 10:50 pm
I was also going to suggest sensory problems. I used to think sensory problems only referred to kids who had issues with touch and taste and kids who would only wear certain clothing, stare at lights etc. but now I know there is so much more to it.

Read the book "the out if sync child" and see if it fits your dd.

Amother with the sensory seeking child, do you mind pming me? im looking for support for a similar situation to you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers