Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Cheap therapy!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 12:16 pm
I'm just so excited by this, I had to share. Of course I'm not at all trying to put down real therapy, I totally understand the role and place of specialized, individualized technique. But there's a limit to how far you can go with that, anyway - both in cost and in overwhelm.

Anyway, what I wanted to share was that I signed up DD for a Sunday activities program that started after Sukkos. About $150 for about three months of activities, there are two periods each Sunday, one active type of thing and one art/craft type of thing. I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do or if it was overkill; true it's only $150 but funds are tight now, and she's only little and goes to school all week and what do we really need it for and does everyone her age really go? (that's what I heard but now that we're there I see it isn't true... oh well)

The first time I stayed to watch for a bit and she seemed quite stiff and not so into it. Today I had to drop off a check so before I left I went back to peek into the dance room... I was laughing aloud with delight, which is so not like me! DD was moving her body, following the directions, doing what all the other kids are doing, looking happy! Last week when I came to pick her up they were doing a craft and I heard her talking to another kid about it. This is my kid who is getting 2 hours a day of SEIT in school because she is shy and anxious, doesn't participate, follow directions, or demonstrate social skills, as well as a generous amount of OT to get her body moving and address related issues. Same kid who had me upset and worried that the DOE didn't approve counseling as well for the shyness and anxiety and social things.

The Sunday thing is a mixed-age thing, so there's no worry about being better or worse at things because it's expected that they will all be at different levels. It's very informal and un-pressured, just fun but in a structured way.

I guess now I'm just a little worried why school isn't going as well... But right now I'm just thrilled and grateful that we found this. It's really hashgacha because I am not the type who would have been looking to sign up a kindergarten kid for extracurriculars. I didn't even know this program existed. I happened to be arranging to give something to someone who was going there for her kids on the first week of class and she encouraged me to just check it out (she doesn't know about our issues and her kids are older) and of course DD overheard and started begging without even knowing what she was begging for, because kids are like that. And now I'm thrilled and think every parent should know that something like this could be a great idea.

ROFL

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 1:36 pm
That is so great. Thanks for sharing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics