Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Bishul yisroel Pumpkin puree

sky

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 4:03 pm
Anyone have any information regarding pumpkin puree that is bishul yisroel.

I need the fire to have been turned on by a Jew regardless of if it is steamed or not. I can't seem to get this information from the OU as they hold that steaming doesn't require a Jew to light the flame.

[I know I can make it myself but would love the convenience of having it canned]

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 7:33 pm
Code:
Foods that are still inedible and require more cooking to make the food edible. This would apply to partial preparation by the akum and the finishing process by the Yehudi or partial preparation by the Yehudi and the finishing process by the akum.

http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/.....l.htm

sky

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 9:56 pm
greenfire wrote:
Code:
Foods that are still inedible and require more cooking to make the food edible. This would apply to partial preparation by the akum and the finishing process by the Yehudi or partial preparation by the Yehudi and the finishing process by the akum.

http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/.....l.htm

thanks.
but pumpkin puree is fully cooked. You can eat it without cooking it further.

I'm getting annoyed at the OU. They keep answering my e-mails that pumpkin doesn't require bishul yisroel because it doesn't go on the table of a king.
but on their website they clearly state
Quote:
"Common examples of foods that must be bishul yisroel include Potatoes, Sweet potatoes, Squash, Pumpkin, Eggplant, Portobello mushrooms, Pasta, Rice, Eggs, Fish and Meat."

So someone who is writing those e-mails isn't reading their own website.

sky

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 10:01 pm
Funny. I see below I asked this same question 4 years ago.
You would have thought that by now with all the new foods on the market someone would have thought of this.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:34 pm
Weird about the seemingly inconsistent policy.
Sorry I don't know of a BY pumpkin puree but I just want to say I made my own and it was really no hassle at all. Just cut it in half, scooped out the seeds (which I later roasted and were great, but more hassle than the pumpkin. I did have my kids wash the seeds as their sensory activity of the week...) roast cut side down nice and hot until soft to poke. Scoop out of the skin and pureed with my stick blender. Zehu. Used some right away and fridged some to use later that week. Both had excellent results.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:26 am
seeker wrote:
Sorry I don't know of a BY pumpkin puree but I just want to say I made my own and it was really no hassle at all. Just cut it in half, scooped out the seeds (which I later roasted and were great, but more hassle than the pumpkin. I did have my kids wash the seeds as their sensory activity of the week...) roast cut side down nice and hot until soft to poke. Scoop out of the skin and pureed with my stick blender. Zehu. Used some right away and fridged some to use later that week. Both had excellent results.

thanks. Maybe I will try it.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:28 am
seeker wrote:

From what I understand most of what they do certify is steamed, which most people don't require bishul yisroel for. So in terms of what they are doing, and what is on the website, they are consistent. Just their e-mails are not.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:46 am
Weird about the inconsistent communiques, then. I never would have even known this was an issue. But it's all OK because we're not such huge pumpkin fans, I basically only make it when we have fresh pumpkin, which we tend to buy because it's not too expensive in season and they look so pretty on the store displays that the kids beg for them and then I need to find ways they'll eat them. Last year's pumpkin pie was a bit of a fail but this year's pumpkin pancakes and muffins were great.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:01 am
I have a few decorative small pumpkins we got for free at a fair but I was told not to cook those because they are grown purely for decorative purposes and won't taste good. I have to go out and get one and will try this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen