Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Does DS have SPD?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 5:41 pm
3yo DS's playgroup morah told me to call her tonight. She thinks he may benefit from OT for sensory issues. She says better to start now so that when I get to a real school next year and they start screaming OT, I will be able to say he gets or at least its in the process and they will work with me much better. I didnt talk to her about specific examples of WHY she feels he has sensory issues, but will later. in the meantime I went to the SPD Foundation's website and found the checklist for preschoolers. Here is what I answered yes/maybe to based on my experience and observations:

____ My child is in constant motion. big YES
____ My child gets in everyone else's space and/or touches everything around him. Also a YES im always telling him not to touch things and ppl. that you hug till 3 and then let go cause most ppl dont like such long hugs. that feet dont belong on mommy or DS2. that he should look with his eyes not his hands. he also throws alot- thats the other thing we constantly have to tell him not to do

____ My child has difficulty being toilet trained. maybe. it didnt happen overnight. it didnt happen when he was by a morah who insisted on pull ups. but it did happen in a couple weeks after he finished by that morah.
____ My child is overly sensitive to stimulation, overreacts to or does not like touch, noise, smells, etc. not sure. he does get excited and hyper when we have friends/neighbors over or when we go to them.
____ My child has difficulty learning and/or avoids performing fine motor tasks such as using crayons and fasteners on clothing. his morah has mentioned she feels his fine motor skills are not up to par. I havent noticed anything tho- he doesnt so buttons (he is only just 3), but does zippers and colors with crayons but she may have more on this later

Does it sound like something to look into? and where to even start? I dont live in NY... I live in Illinois if anyone has any specific recommendations, tips etc for me.

TIA

solo

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 5:47 pm
Sounds like my son! He does not have a diagnosis. But receives ot 3x weekly since he turned 3. Hes shown lots of improvement.
R u in New York? An evaluation is free and can't hurt. And the sooner he starts the more hell benefit

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 5:50 pm
solo wrote:
Sounds like my son! He does not have a diagnosis. But receives ot 3x weekly since he turned 3. Hes shown lots of improvement.
R u in New York? An evaluation is free and can't hurt. And the sooner he starts the more hell benefit

thanks!
im not in NY. Im in Illinois. Are evaluations free across the country? he is already 3 so I dont think hes eligible for EI

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 7:33 pm
The checklist covers a large range, and many children only show dysfunction in a limited number of areas, so you shouldn't expect that he must meet all criteria for a diagnosis. Based on your responses I would absolutely recommend an evaluation. The teacher can probably advise you as to what services are available in your area.

(I'm an OT)

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 8:02 pm
I suppose there is never any harm in having someone skilled evaluate a child.

But I had no reaction to what you posted, given his age. And, it's a boy, not girl.

But I am no expert at all, surely.

I come from a very bookish family; we do have one young man who is tramping through the wilderness for a year because he isn't ready to sit still and deal with college. Books. Abstract thinking. All that jazz. He likes nature and physicality. This is simply one way to be a guy. There are women like that too. I hope he meets one soon.

But I have no idea if that is relevant to your situation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers