Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I was given a lot of money to buy toys
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:11 am
I'm supposed to buy some big things that will make our children's lives more enriched. It was a donation so I even have to get 'approval' for what I decide upon. I did not grow up with a lot of toys myself. I have no idea what kids ages baby to 7 years old, need. Any ideas?

salt

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:36 am
Depends how much money it is, I'd suggest a bicycle, a bimba. Building blocks (kapla), Lego, Playmobil. Dolls, a doll's stroller, a mini-kitchen. Coloring books, colors.

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:05 am
Ages and genders of the kids?

Do you have anything at all for them, indoor or outdoor? What about books?

Are there teachers who can tell you what things they like to play with in school?

I suggest categories -- I think every home should have several things in each.

Baby/toddler toys -- stacking cups, shape sorter, teethers.

Pretend play -- kitchen, or at least, plastic tea set, pretend phone, dolls/action figures (menschies are great), cars, dress up clothes/hats, large cardboard box.

Puzzles - one at toddler level, several at preschool level, jigsaws of favorite things for older kids.

Books -- board or cloth books for babies, classics for all.

Music - device plus kid music you can stand, and classical.

Put togethers - lego, spend the big bucks on magna tiles, clix, gears, tinker toy, etc.

Games - Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, Rat a Tat Cat, Slamwich, Family Fluxx, checkers/chess, dominoes, etc.

Art/small motor - crayons, paper, fingerpaint and special paper, play dough, sidewalk chalk, markers.

Large motor - ride on toys, bikes/trikes, jump rope, balls.

All this can easily cost more than you have.

Most of this can be obtained very cheaply at yard sales. I'd spend the big money on magna tiles, and a couple of games, and then look to get the rest used or make for myself (like playdough, flubber, etc).

saw50st8

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:15 am
Wooden blocks, duplo legos (best size overall for all ages), some age appropriate board games (sequence for kids is great!), plasma car, thomas trains and tracks

cotton candy

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:53 am
Magna tiles! Very expensive but keep kids busy forever.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:55 am
aleph beis magnets [for fridge]
puzzles
story books
board games
cards
legos
bike[s]
kiddie pop-up tent
stuffed animal/dolls
matchbox cars
playdoh
crayons/markers/coloring books
art easel / paint
toy kitchen
toy tool box/belt

the list is never ending

have FUN !!!

Liebs

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:07 am
I love shopping w/ s/o else's $$ Wink
I posted what my kids like and things they actually play with. Mostly use kapla, clics, playmags, playsticks-with animals, cars and mentchies (I have jewish ones with mat-play for hours)

The jewish toy stores in Brooklyn (I think double play) are very helpful if u describe ur kid etc. I don't think more expensive than amazon. I think they have website.
google doubleplay, toys4u another store, in Lakewood major store too. I am sure they all ship.

http://www.amazon.com/Educatio.....nkfun

http://www.amazon.com/Clics-RC.....=toys not sure if this is original

http://www.amazon.com/Popular-.....ystix until I had 2 sets my kids didn't touch it, now always play!

amazing for age 2+ http://www.amazon.com/Popular-.....ystix

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Ani.....gures
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Ani.....gures

Last edited by Liebs on Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:13 am
Op here.

Love your suggestions! I'm writing them down!

I still have to come up with a big item for outdoor play, apparently. I'm considering a toy house and a sandbox with a lid.

Also, do you think asking for a DVD player with a TV screen is out of line? Or a lap top for kid games? The bigger kids (ages 3, 5, 7) love computer games like Dora, but our lap top is getting really old and slow. I just dont want to offend this generous man.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:15 am
I think that board games and card games are super important as well. Please do not overlook those!

spring13

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:21 am
In terms of an outdoor toy, maybe a basketball net or a soccer goal and a couple of balls? A geodesic dome to climb on? I'd use that portion of the gift to give them something very active to do that will really grow with them.

Liebs

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:23 am
I don't know what your deal and what your budget is. (I'd love such a deal!) I prefer less DVD/computer time because it takes away so many learning skills like turn taking/social cues etc. Also they will get into tech very soon so don't want them to only be entertained that way. I do use as treat computer games that are educational only like reading/math.
They sell mini computers and game comps for kids. You can ask but may get a no. Depends on who and why you are getting the money.
Swings and trampoline amazing!! (can get mini one). As far as sand box-they sell sand/water tables prob significantly cheaperand takes up less room.

thelioness

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:01 am
Magna Tiles

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:36 am
If you have girls, our most played-with toy was a dollhouse with accessories. We have the Fisher Price one.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:48 am
For outdoors - do you have space for a swingset or tire swing?
Soccer nets
Basketball hoop
dome climber: http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Out.....imber

[My kids spend a ton of time outside and I love outdoor toys]

Indoor:
Magna Tiles [Best toy for all ages]
Play stix
Train Set
Cars (like matchbox cars, garage, rug with street and roads on it)
Kitchen set with accessories
Doll with Stroller
duplo or mega blocks

Puzzles (wooden for babies and small puzzles for older)

Board games:
Sorry (older kids)
Chutes and Ladders or Candy Land
UNO
Trouble
suspend (Melissa and Doug)
Jenga

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:17 pm
I would personally skip the laptop/ electronic request.
Firstly, because that's my personal hashkafa.
Secondly, because the offer is for toys. Not video games.

Outdoor toys could be one of thsoe awesome play sets that are in almost every chinese auction. When we do the oorah one, I put a whole bunch in there outdoor one. I'd love to get one of those (swings/ slide/ rock wall....)
basket ball hoop is great to. the ones with adjustable height.

magnatiles
kitchen set and accessories
doll house with accessories (keeps my girls busy for hours)
little lego-especially if you have a boy-my son loves it
cars and mentchies

enjoy!

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.

Love your suggestions! I'm writing them down!

I still have to come up with a big item for outdoor play, apparently. I'm considering a toy house and a sandbox with a lid.

Also, do you think asking for a DVD player with a TV screen is out of line? Or a lap top for kid games? The bigger kids (ages 3, 5, 7) love computer games like Dora, but our lap top is getting really old and slow. I just dont want to offend this generous man.

Define the magnitude of "a lot of money."

I mean, could you buy this?

I love the idea of including little houses, which could be a place for littluns to play with small toys, or biguns to hang out with friends, away from little sibs.

Our biggest and best investment over the years was our train set. It was played with daily for years, and we never had a kid over -- boy or girl -- who didn't love it.

Think now and later. Building toys (wooden blocks, Lego, Magna Tile). Board game library (everything from Candyland to Settlers of Catan). Pretend play (you can't go wrong with a play kitchen). Wooden puzzles for the younger set.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 2:51 pm
Please don't do DVD, tv or computer otr anything similar. They will become the only thing they use. They will fight over them. They will be angry when you say it's time to switch then off they will waste time they could be better spend doing other things. And you can't used then in shabat.

Better not to start with them, truly.

justcallmeima

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:18 pm
For outdoor/gross motor play I highly recommend a trampoline with a gate. Your backyard will become very popular!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics