Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I was given a lot of money to buy toys
Previous  1  2

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:31 pm
justcallmeima wrote:
For outdoor/gross motor play I highly recommend a trampoline with a gate. Your backyard will become very popular!!

Not to mention a much more dangerous place:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/.....0793/

You should also check your insurance -- injuries may be excluded, and your homeowners policy could be cancelled.

http://www.allstate.com/tools-......aspx

cityofgold

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:34 pm
Oooh, I grew up with a fabulous swingset and it was so much fun.

Plus another vote for magna tiles. They are really pricey, especially if you buy 2 or 3 sets for a bunch of kids, but they love them, and they do teach...something...I forget what, exactly. Maybe geometry.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.

Love your suggestions! I'm writing them down!

I still have to come up with a big item for outdoor play, apparently. I'm considering a toy house and a sandbox with a lid.

Also, do you think asking for a DVD player with a TV screen is out of line? Or a lap top for kid games? The bigger kids (ages 3, 5, 7) love computer games like Dora, but our lap top is getting really old and slow. I just dont want to offend this generous man.

I wouldn't do a sandbox they get gross really quickly. If you don't have enough for a real swing set I'd go with the little tykes outdoor cubes. There are various sizes.

Miri7

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:52 pm
Manga tiles! Buy a big set or two. They are great for many years of fun!

Fill a box with a variety of art supplies, paints, glitter, glue, colors pencils, crayons, stickers, pipe cleaners, tissue paper and doodads to glue on things. This can last years if well stocked.

Legos - you can someone's find a bin of mixed pieces for sale online.

An inside play kitchen is good for little ones. Might be Boring by 7 or 8.

Quality wooden blocks. A big set.

Outside - basketball hoop, play structure (the more durable the better!). Maybe bean bag toss, soccer balls and pop up goals

Games - uno, checkers/ chess set, memory game

For the little one: we had a plastic door toy from fisher price. Kids loved it.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:59 pm
Barbara wrote:
Not to mention a much more dangerous place:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/.....0793/

You should also check your insurance -- injuries may be excluded, and your homeowners policy could be cancelled.

http://www.allstate.com/tools-......aspx

There are many many more bike injuries per year than trampoline injuries per year. Like everything else, proper precautions and supervision are a must.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 4:59 pm
Another vote for a swing set! My parents got one and one of the swings is removable. So in that spot the can hang a regular swing or a baby swing. This way its great for all ages!

bookworm10

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:29 pm
Magna Tiles! 2 sets! My kids play with them every single day, every single one!

A dollhouse and lots of furniture and mentchies.

For outdoors, a swing set.

A kitchen set? An art table? Books are great, as are lego sets. Not the basics, but the good ones that the kids can build cars with, houses etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 2:56 am
I second a trampoline, a big one with a safety net all around. My neighbors do not have a fenced back yard, and they've given permission for all the kids on the block to use theirs freely, as long as they are respectful and don't yell too much.

DD spends pretty much every nice day out there with her friends, and it's a great gathering place for everyone. An adult could take a toddler in there (without bigger kids, of course) and have some great bouncy play time.

Trampolines are excellent for left/right brain integration, balance, coordination, and building leg strength. DD struggled with all of those, and could not ride a bike until after the first summer she spent on the trampoline. I believe it really made a huge difference for her.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:35 am
I think a playhouse, swingset or trampoline are all great outdoor toys. Or some good quality bikes and tricycles.

if I had unlimited money I would buy

lots of duplo
a really good dollhouse
lego
menchies (the jewish ones are nice and good quality)

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:50 am
Another vote for swingset with climbing structure; the kids don't stay little forever, and kids of all ages like it.

If I had the space and the money, I'd get a zip line.

Also consider a toddler car. How about roller skates or scooter if you have pavement?

I'm with Barbara about not buying the trampoline. We almost lost our insurance over one.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:58 am
my 2ยข

trampolines are dangerous - the entire neighborhood will be by your house & inevitable someone is bound to break their bones [I've seen it happen again & again - so don't tell me I'm over cautious]

as for a swing set ... I think being able to go to the park as an outing trumps having a swing set that gets boring quickly if you have one in your back yard - imho

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:09 am
With kids aged 1-19 I vote for building toys: Magna Tiles (knock-off is ok, too), lego, playmobil, cliks.
Swing set - doesn't have to have a "tree-house" , still hours of fun!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics