Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Shots, How long til baby feels better?
1  2  Next

luppamom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:24 am
My (4 mo. old) baby got shots on Sunday afternoon. Sunday night she screamed for 3 hrs. straight, refused to nurse, finally gave in, nursed and then fell fast asleep (around 11ish) and then slept til daylight. The next day she had a low fever and wanted to be held a lot, slept a lot and kept trying to nurse. She played a little bit, but didn't seem to have energy. Day #3 (today): is sleeping a lot and is nursing a lot, but seemed a little more friendly and playful.

Is this normal? Do I need to take her to the dr.?

bookie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:32 am
It sounds like she is doing a little better. If you want you can call your doctor to ask if you should bring in today or wait another day.

smss

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:46 am
so sorry OP Sad that happened to my baby too. b"H he recovered, and it sounds like your baby is recovering too, b"H.

screaming for 3 hours+ after a vaccine is considered a sign of encephalitis- swelling on the brain. did she get the DTaP? the package insert actually says that the risks and benefits of repeating the vaccine should be weighed after a reaction like that. https://www.vaccineshoppe.com/.....t_pdf some doctors believe that this precaution should be followed with all vaccines, not just DTaP.

refuah sheleimah!!

luppamom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:07 pm
She did get the dTap. Her crying was a little bit consolable. She stopped a little bit here and there, like when I took her outside or when my husband sang to her. Is that a good sign? Encephalitis? ?? That sounds really scary. Anything I can do now?

strawberry cola

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:10 pm
Sounds like she is doing better Baruch Hashem but check with your doctor to make sure all bases are covered. . Someone told me that after a vaccine, right in the office, Tylenol should be administered. I am not a doctor, just throwing out what I heard from someone I consider a reliable source.

smss

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:17 pm
luppamom wrote:
She did get the dTap. Her crying was a little bit consolable. She stopped a little bit here and there, like when I took her outside or when my husband sang to her. Is that a good sign? Encephalitis? ?? That sounds really scary. Anything I can do now?

my baby was the same, but my pediatrician still felt it was a concern.

you will get very different answers about this depending on which doctor you ask. some doctors don't even believe screaming for hours is a "reaction" at all, even though this completely contradicts the manufacturers' opinion. others are more cautious.

homeopathy can be helpful in healing from vaccine reactions- don't know if you're into that kind of a thing, but western medicine has very little to offer...

smss

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:18 pm
strawberry cola wrote:
Sounds like she is doing better Baruch Hashem but check with your doctor to make sure all bases are covered. . Someone told me that after a vaccine, right in the office, Tylenol should be administered. I am not a doctor, just throwing out what I heard from someone I consider a reliable source.

not likely to help with any symptoms other than a fever, and diminishes the effectiveness of the vaccine.
http://www.webmd.com/children/.....cines

luppamom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:26 pm
smss wrote:
my baby was the same, but my pediatrician still felt it was a concern.

you will get very different answers about this depending on which doctor you ask. some doctors don't even believe screaming for hours is a "reaction" at all, even though this completely contradicts the manufacturers' opinion. others are more cautious.

homeopathy can be helpful in healing from vaccine reactions- don't know if you're into that kind of a thing, but western medicine has very little to offer...

So what did you do? Should I take the baby to the dr.? I don't have a dr. I really trust yet. Also, what did you differently in the future?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:44 pm
That type of screaming is definitely a neurological reaction, most likely to the DTaP and many consider it to be a contraindication for that vaccine in the future.

luppamom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:49 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
That type of screaming is definitely a neurological reaction, most likely to the DTaP and many consider it to be a contraindication for that vaccine in the future.

Is it serious (for the past)? Yes, I hope be"H I'll have a doctor I trust to talk to before I give her the next vaccine and daven.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:56 pm
Hopefully not. I'm not sure if there is any conventional method of dealing with it, rather just know for the future this can be a problem.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:56 pm
Listen, you will get tons of misinformation when it comes to vaccines. People have strong opinions. Your baby is fine now. She is truly fine now. Talk to your doctor not people here.

In my opinion, it is unlikely. But, anything is possible. Do not diagnose your baby online from people with bias. There are a lot of people on this site who would say do not vaccinate period. And, there are others who would vaccinate at any cost.

Talk to a doctor. Imamother is not a good physician.

-amother in vaccine development

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:01 pm
She said she does not have a good doctor. I know instances where the Board of Health told mothers not to give the DTP anymore to their children with the same symptom (this was before the aP, but still). It's a serious reaction that should not be taken lightly. It should not be forgotten about but rather seriously considered when making future decisions.

(and I'm not a person who says don't vaccinate ever)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:06 pm
FWIW, the CDC considers this a moderate reaction, and uncommon (1/1000) (see http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hc.....risks ) and necessitating precaution before vaccinating in the future for this:
Persistent, inconsolable crying lasting 3 or more hours within 48 hours after receiving a previous dose of DTP/DTaP (see http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/re.....c.htm )

This is not biased.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
Listen, you will get tons of misinformation when it comes to vaccines. People have strong opinions. Your baby is fine now. She is truly fine now. Talk to your doctor not people here.

In my opinion, it is unlikely. But, anything is possible. Do not diagnose your baby online from people with bias. There are a lot of people on this site who would say do not vaccinate period. And, there are others who would vaccinate at any cost.

Talk to a doctor. Imamother is not a good physician.

I'm kind of surprised that you would say this. We all hope that her baby is fine. But why are you so certain?

This is a very well known vaccine reaction, and doctors who are extremely pro vax will actually call it normal. I've never heard of anyone before you who denies that it is likely related.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:08 pm
I'll also add that you may be able to get the DT without the aP (since that is the component that triggers this) -- but most people want their children to have the DTaP as young infants for the pertussis protection.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:10 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I'm kind of surprised that you would say this. We all hope that her baby is fine. But why are you so certain?

This is a very well known vaccine reaction, and doctors who are extremely pro vax will actually call it normal. I've never heard of anyone before you who denies that it is likely related.

I read that to read that amother said it is unlikely regarding the past damage to her baby/future damage to her baby if she continues to vaccinate with the DTaP (I am not sure which), but not that there was no link between the 2.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:12 pm
luppamom wrote:
My (4 mo. old) baby got shots on Sunday afternoon. Sunday night she screamed for 3 hrs. straight, refused to nurse, finally gave in, nursed and then fell fast asleep (around 11ish) and then slept til daylight. The next day she had a low fever and wanted to be held a lot, slept a lot and kept trying to nurse. She played a little bit, but didn't seem to have energy. Day #3 (today): is sleeping a lot and is nursing a lot, but seemed a little more friendly and playful.

Is this normal? Do I need to take her to the dr.?

In terms of what to do now, I do not think she needs to be evaluated by a physician, but it can take a good 10 days for her to get back to herself.
Either way, the reaction should definitely be reported to analyze the benefits and risks in the future, but there is no need to rush her to the doctor now, especially since she'd be more exposed to germs there than at home and her immune system is currently working overtime to form protection against these diseases in the future.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 5:21 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:

Her baby is getting better. She better today then yesterday and better yesterday than the day before.

Giving advice here will only scare a new mother. The appropriate thing for her to do is to go to her pediatrician and decide on a plan. She needs to find one -we are not doctors and not qualified to diagnose. I said its unlikely because it is an unlikely reaction. But, possible. The only advice we can offer is to go to her doctor and b"h her little girl is doing better.

smss

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
Her baby is getting better. She better today then yesterday and better yesterday than the day before.

Giving advice here will only scare a new mother. The appropriate thing for her to do is to go to her pediatrician and decide on a plan. She needs to find one -we are not doctors and not qualified to diagnose. I said its unlikely because it is an unlikely reaction. But, possible. The only advice we can offer is to go to her doctor and b"h her little girl is doing better.

well, most of the time babies b"H do recover from encephalitis. it's only a very very small percentage of cases that progress to encephalopathy.

that doesn't change the fact that OP's baby had a reaction to a vaccine which the vaccine manufacturers themselves say should be taken seriously. and your posts on this thread are the reason why I am scared to tell OP to trust her pediatrician's answers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics